What i learned in a heavy white squall - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 27Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 Old 04-29-2016

Dock
Re: What i learned in a heavy white squall

I just read the bunch of replies to this thread.

The detractors point of the keel/board situation... but the lot of you have missed the most basic point: you can not point with a genoa only!
To point he needs the board down YES, but in a squall even with the engine flat out WOT he ain't gunna point with a genoa only.

What size outboard is it? If you had dumped the genoa could the outboard have held it into the wind?

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 04-29-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckfd View Post
Well at least if you're going to tell a story make it somewhat believable!
You're talking to a bunch of real guys and girls that have been there and done that. So when you make up a bunch of stuff you're going to be called on it friend!

CC towing my here you go they dont tow you if your not in deep dodo
post #33 of 45 Old 04-29-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
I just read the bunch of replies to this thread.

The detractors point of the keel/board situation... but the lot of you have missed the most basic point: you can not point with a genoa only!
To point he needs the board down YES, but in a squall even with the engine flat out WOT he ain't gunna point with a genoa only.

What size outboard is it? If you had dumped the genoa could the outboard have held it into the wind?

Mark
yes that was my whole point to dumping the genny i could not turn the boat even with a full 45 degree turn of the outboard. the wind was just way to strong.

post #34 of 45 Old 04-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gah964 View Post
i tell a story to help people and you call me a lair unbelievable.
Okay
How did you right the boat after the first knock down a 40 knot wind?
Every kid on a sunfish knows they don't right them selves.
Show where in the keys it drops off 300' and rises as fast as you say?
The water spout face it the only time you've seen one was on TV.
You see something really interesting happens when they are near like a mile or more you would have said something about it, so big guy what happened?
There are real people on here looking to learn, your crap isn't helping anybody and I'd say anybody on here that are agreeing with you are as delusional as yourself.
post #35 of 45 Old 04-29-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Okay
How did you right the boat after the first knock down a 40 knot wind?
Every kid on a sunfish knows they don't right them selves.
Show where in the keys it drops off 300' and rises as fast as you say?
The water spout face it the only time you've seen one was on TV.
You see something really interesting happens when they are near like a mile or more you would have said something about it, so big guy what happened?
There are real people on here looking to learn, your crap isn't helping anybody and I'd say anybody on here that are agreeing with you are as delusional as yourself.
when you get knock down the boat swings back up on its own. sunfish dont have a keel i sailed them as a kid every summer in Summerset PA

I was in the cabin when the water spout showed up talking to the coast guard. i didnt want to sight see the damn thing . "hogs channel" look at it on a chart and report back also look at water depth after the reef easy to do if you are a sailor. hogs channel is 40ft the reef is about 30ft after the reef it slops to 70 to 300 1 mile after the reef it drops to 1k.
oysterman23 likes this.
post #36 of 45 Old 04-29-2016

OK Everybody, take a chill pill.... sheesh.

I'm sure it was a traumatic day for the OP.. whatever the conditions actually were or were not. We've probably all been scared at some point, esp early in our sailing experience, it's very easy to over-estimate conditions - his own picture shows what looks like a relatively benign sea state.

I have seen a waterspout that was not on TV.. several, in fact, but luckily at a distance.

He got in over his head, survived to tell the tale. Whatever the details there's some good take-aways from that.
jephotog, hpeer, davidpm and 3 others like this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #37 of 45 Old 04-29-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
OK Everybody, take a chill pill.... sheesh.

I'm sure it was a traumatic day for the OP.. whatever the conditions actually were or were not. We've probably all been scared at some point, esp early in our sailing experience, it's very easy to over-estimate conditions - his own picture shows what looks like a relatively benign sea state.

I have seen a waterspout that was not on TV.. several, in fact, but luckily at a distance.

He got in over his head, survived to tell the tale. Whatever the details there's some good take-aways from that.
that picture was taken when we neared KW the storm edge was about 10 miles east of that picture and was hrs later in the day . like you said i cant remember every detail of the ordeal i was shaken up for sure. i see water spouts all the time on the water they dont scare me but this one was big with a lot of white spray coming at me.visability was very bad at times.
Thanks
post #38 of 45 Old 04-29-2016

Rather new sailor here, so pardon my ignorance, but why did you have the genny up at all? Shouldn't you have used some rag like a storm jib instead?

The only dumb question is the one that you didn't ask because you thought it would make you look dumb.
post #39 of 45 Old 04-29-2016

The only thing I can say is 2 summers ago I was in Maine in a little squall and a Mac near by got knocked down. It didn't right it self and its center board was down. I stood station got their crew on board and waited for sea tow to right them.
I have had the misfortune to be close by a water spout and can tell you there is no way to sail away from it. Like a tornado it is a tremendous low and sucks everything toward it. You don't get away from it, it gets away from you, in your "conditions" with the proximity you claim you were it would have sucked you in and destroyed your boat. Well, that is if you didn't get the Mac with the anti physics button.
So thats why I say just from personal experience and basic physics not to mention an inability to spell your own boat brands name (that was no typo) I have doubt.
sorry.

Picture is the start of the spout as it started up over Tortola.
why won't it post my picture?
Attached Thumbnails
as-soon.jpg  
seabeau and bird song like this.

Last edited by rckfd; 04-29-2016 at 10:44 AM.
post #40 of 45 Old 04-29-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
The only thing I can say is 2 summers ago I was in Maine in a little squall and a Mac near by got knocked down. It didn't right it self and its center board was down. I stood station got their crew on board and waited for sea tow to right them.
I have had the misfortune to be close by a water spout and can tell you there is no way to sail away from it. Like a tornado it is a tremendous low and sucks everything toward it. You don't get away from it, it gets away from you, in your "conditions" with the proximity you claim you were it would have sucked you in and destroyed your boat. Well, that is if you didn't get the Mac with the anti physics button.
So thats why I say just from personal experience and basic physics not to mention an inability to spell your own boat brands name (that was no typo) I have doubt.
sorry.

Picture is the start of the spout as it started up over Tortola.
why won't it post my picture?
Keep reading your books and stop harassing me. go pats cheaters like you.i never like the smug idiots from that part of the world .ya from bastin are ya? You were never close to a spout where you? oh yeah you got sucked up into one I forgot.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in