What i learned in a heavy white squall - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 27Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 45 Old 04-29-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Rather new sailor here, so pardon my ignorance, but why did you have the genny up at all? Shouldn't you have used some rag like a storm jib instead?
I put up the genny because I lost my engine. I didn't know at the time half my rudder was gone that's when I deployed the anchor.also I sail my other boat with just a genny all the time with no problems.
I just dump the wind when it over powers my boat it's how I sail single handed and two sails sometimes are to much for me to handle alone.i don't have a cockpit rigged system.
Atlas likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 Old 04-29-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckfd View Post
The only thing I can say is 2 summers ago I was in Maine in a little squall and a Mac near by got knocked down. It didn't right it self and its center board was down. I stood station got their crew on board and waited for sea tow to right them.
I have had the misfortune to be close by a water spout and can tell you there is no way to sail away from it. Like a tornado it is a tremendous low and sucks everything toward it. You don't get away from it, it gets away from you, in your "conditions" with the proximity you claim you were it would have sucked you in and destroyed your boat. Well, that is if you didn't get the Mac with the anti physics button.
So thats why I say just from personal experience and basic physics not to mention an inability to spell your own boat brands name (that was no typo) I have doubt.
sorry.

Picture is the start of the spout as it started up over Tortola.
why won't it post my picture?
I can send you pictures of my boat if you want.I can hold up a news paper if it's bothering you,yank.
post #43 of 45 Old 04-29-2016

Dock
Re: What i learned in a heavy white squall

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Dunno what the text on the pic means, but, yeah, sure I try to help people. No questions asked. No judgements on why you need help. No payment required.
Glad to see the CG help this guy.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #44 of 45 Old 04-29-2016
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Dunno what the text on the pic means, but, yeah, sure I try to help people. No questions asked. No judgements on why you need help. No payment required.
Glad to see the CG help this guy.
Not a jab at you, Mark, and sorry if you took it that way, so I've deleted the post.

I found it hard to believe the guy was serious - anyone who can't spell the name of a boat he has supposedly owned for 15 years, claims not to know that a centerboard helps pointing ability, and doesn't know how to turn the WX dial on his VHF to get the weather or the name of the channel he was near, then blows up when his credibility gets questioned, slings insults and makes imbecilic comments, further reducing his credibility. There've been a number of trolling posts on sailnet recently and this certainly seemed like another. I for one should be out working on my boat but it's been cold and rainy and idle hands do the devil's work, as they say.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland

Last edited by willyd; 04-29-2016 at 03:58 PM.
post #45 of 45 Old 04-29-2016

Okay sorry I got caught up in what a silly fake story it is. You all are saying this and that and how he is trying to help bla bla bla.
Again sorry you see a wind like that to me is a very sailable wind matter of fact I consider it fun. This guy did noting right when he went out and gave no useful information to help anybody.
So if you find yourself in a condition that is over powering you or in a squall, just sit it out. Squalls rarely last more than an hour you can survive easily without wrecking everything.Ever hear if all else fails "let it out" when in doubt "let it out"? Just let go of the sheets everything will just flap like a flag yes it will be rough for a few, the boat will point to the wind and it will pass, sit in the middle of the boat all will be fine.
Thats just if you don't know anything but me if things get out of hand and they do I heave to. Just tac the boat but don't release the sheet let the jib/genny backwind and leave the helm over, the boat will stop maybe move to leeward a bit and go below and make a sandwich and take a break. You won't get knocked down it kind of points into the waves all will be fine.
Practice storm tactics even on small center board boats take the mystery out of it learn what to do in all conditions just don't wait too react to the conditions!
Don't try to tether yourself to the bottom either, don't go to the bow of the boat that is unless you yourself want to go to the bottom.
Honestly I don't care whether this boy's story is true or how many boats he has, how long he's been boating the bottom line is from the moment he left the dock he did nothing correct and his demeanor lends me to think he didn't learn anything from it either.

And these are my final words on this matter .
thank you
bird song likes this.

Last edited by rckfd; 04-29-2016 at 05:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rckfd For This Useful Post:
bird song (04-30-2016)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in