Do you hate power boats? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 45 Old 04-28-2016

Re: Do you hate power boats?

I don't hate powerboats, but I love sailing. You can't compare the two.
flyrod likes this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 Old 04-28-2016
HANUMAN

I'm with Stu, jackass powerboaters need to get humped. But that's not all powerboaters We are all powerboaters now and again.

I wish I could afford both. I'd like a nice RIB with a decent sized outboard, a small cockpit and some electronics. Just tool around at night or head to the beach for an hour. Having a sailboat is fun, but it's always a project to get anywhere.

Or a decent sized trawler at the dock and a smaller sailboat on a mooring. Something that didn't burn to much fuel, doesn't have to do 30 knots.

Seems like so much of vacation or weekend cruising is under power. I have good intentions, but you do have to get there. It really is like the friggen wind knows exactly what direction you want to go.

I motored my sailboat from Annapolis, up through the C&D, down through Cape May, up the Jersey shore, in through the city, down LI Sound, then out through Watch Hill Pass to Block Island. Never got to sail a millimeter. That's a lot of twists and turns and a lot of irony.
jrd22 likes this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #13 of 45 Old 04-28-2016
Courtney the Dancer

Like sailors, there are all kinds of power boaters. Granted, there seem to be more of the idiot variety driving boats with a lot of horsepower but I've seen enough sailors do boneheaded things to know it's not all one sided. I run our power boat a LOT more than the sailboat, but we live on an island and our power boat is our main transportation and we do a lot of fishing, crabbing, prawning, etc. I always go out of my way to give sailboats a lot of room and I wave at almost all boats I encounter but rarely do the sailors wave back. Kind of funny really. I've kept track and on cruises on the sailboat we end up motoring about 75% of the time, and I always sail whenever it's possible to make at least 3 knots over ground toward wherever we're heading. So I guess even when we're sailing we're mostly a powerboat.
Faster likes this.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #14 of 45 Old 04-28-2016

It is a sad statistic, perhaps esp in the PNW how much of our summer cruising is under power. Longish distance, tidal gates, tides and currents often dictate timing, our often very sheltered waters affect the amount of wind we might get. And this, as jrd intimated, despite being willing to sail down to 3 knots boatspeed.

The big wave clods are a nuisance, but I have to say of late that we see many more 20+ knot capable boats lumbering along at 8 or 9, presumably to save fuel, or perhaps they've seen the light.

And on those flat, windless days it would be nice to zip to your destination in an hour rather than 4 or 5 droning hours under power. But MacGregor tried that and it didn't work out that well.
titustiger27 likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #15 of 45 Old 04-28-2016
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faris View Post
I've definitely learned to hate power boaters. Obviously not all of them. There are good ones and bad ones, just like with sailboats. But, at least in my area, we have a LOT of power boaters that fall into one or more of the following categories:
  • More money than sense
  • As long as I don't hit you, I can drive my boat wherever I want.
  • Right of way? What's that?
  • Eat my wake! That'll teach you! (... but I'll wave at you like nothing happened.)
  • I really don't care about seamanship. That's why I got a power boat.
  • EVERYONE else is in MY way!
In my experience, it's really rare to have a power boater show any consideration for other boats, and those that do seem to usually be older folks in classic boats.

Power boaters don't seem to be very considerate to each other, either, passing too close, kicking big wakes that send crew flying, etc.

Probably the most maddening thing I've dealt with is people waterskiing between my anchored boat and a nearby shore.

Whatever happened to public service announcements? It would be nice to have people made aware of what's safe, and what's proper etiquette. I get the impression that motorboaters think that being jostled by wakes is just a part of being out on the water, which is why they wave even when digging a wake big enough to make you change course.

I don't think I've ever had another sailboat pull me off of a sandbar, though.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #16 of 45 Old 04-29-2016

I grew up in a family of both sailors and stinkpotters. My official position is that stinkpotters are an inferior life form.

Truthfully, the best mariners are competent at both, like the former WWII Merchant Marine captain that took me on my first dinghy sail over 40 years ago.

Just had a brother-in-law buy a stinkpot. He absolutely loves coming out on our boat and decided to get into boating himself. He's usually a very responsible guy. He buys a I/O motorboat, takes a safety course and decides to just head out a few weeks ago, with no experience, etc. Scares the heck out of himself, not apparently understanding that just because it has a wheel, doesn't mean it works like a car. He's a believer now, but this experience seems very common for the stinkpots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #17 of 45 Old 04-29-2016

I've always enjoyed both for different reasons...

I enjoy fishing and water skiing which is much easier behind a power boat I've typically had both... my first boat I owned was a 15' Tri Hull with 70 hp OB, then I bought a J 22, then a Sea Ray Sundancer 220, then sold them all and moved to California. About 3 months back in Maryland I bought a 20' Buccaneer and a year later my Tartan 37. We have a 27' ski boat on a lake in Western Maryland.... ultimately I love the water... but if I had to choose... I would keep on sailing no question

Shawn

post #18 of 45 Old 04-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon1 View Post
My passion has mainly been driven by being on the water - I just love it, whatever the craft!
Same here. I have even enjoyed taking cruises on the giant cruise ships (though I kind of doubt that I will do that again).

Any day on the water, in any kind of craft at all, is better than a day on land.
post #19 of 45 Old 04-29-2016

Dock

Thread changed from powerboats to powerboatERS.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #20 of 45 Old 04-29-2016

Yeah, but there's no real reason to hate a powerboat. I've seen many reasons to hate power boaters.

Here's my take...there are a lot of jerks in the world. If you put a jerk at the helm of a powerboat, you get an amplification of the jerkiness.

Add to that, how many of these jerks drink at the helm.
titustiger27 likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in