LOA vs LWL, looking for a boat - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 49 Old 05-11-2016

Re: LOA vs LWL, looking for a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Jer View Post
....The other concern I have is paying slip rates for a 45 footer but only getting the performance/room of a 35 footer.....
You pretty much summed up the trend to the modern plastic plumb bow cruiser.

You do need to get real clear on your priorities. Speed, living space, guest space, creature comforts, efficient LOA for slip fees, sail control, etc. I heard that visual appeal was last.

LWL does account for 'theoretical' hull speed, but some hulls have a hard time ever reaching it and some over canvassed lighter hulls can push slightly through it.
Skipper Jer likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 Old 05-11-2016

Jer,

Reading this I'm guessing that you'd spend considerable time in the big ditch motoring. You'd want mast height, draft, and engine power to support that. You'd reach over to the Bahamas. You'd maybe run up to Maine, then like most of us you'd end up motoring back against the prevailing SW wind in the morning before the SW builds in. You'd be less likely to head offshore for the BVI's and beyond.

If this is so, you are looking shallow draft, a cabin that's extremely comfortable inshore but could do an occasional offshore passage, a boat that isn't a race horse upwind but tracks well in a reach/run, less than 65' mast height, etc. Interesting that if that's the deal, gulfstar isn't a bad example of something that might fit. The ones I've been on are plenty comfortable below. Plenty others fit too.

The hard thing for me when I'm buying a boat is to admit to myself honestly how i'm NOT going to use it. Frequently, I bought boats that were overqualified for the type of coastal sailing I do, and traded some inshore comfort for that. Lot's of people have dreams of circumnavigations, few do it. Personally I have no desire, but I know people who have and loved it. To each there own.

The advice to figure out how you plan to cruise, and fit the boat to that is right on IMHO. Good luck!
Faster and Skipper Jer like this.
post #13 of 49 Old 05-11-2016 Thread Starter

"I'm guessing that you'd spend considerable time in the big ditch motoring." And you would guess correctly. Just did Annapolis to Knoxville on our Nor'sea 27. I had to move stuff around to get to what I needed. The boat is fine for one unorganized person (me) or two organized individuals. How a family of five ever made it around the world on that boat is a mystery to me.

I think for now I'll concentrate on center cockpit, 40-45 foot and ketch/yawl is an option. I like the Pearson 422.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.

post #14 of 49 Old 05-11-2016
Anarchist in Exile

It's way to easy to overthink LOA vs LWL. Pick the boat you like regardless.

Many think that max LWL for a given LOA is best and it often is good, but not always.

My little boat (the First 260) is plumb on both ends, and has a delta between the two measurements of FOUR INCHES. Fun right? Max hull speed right? Mostly, but in lighter airs BELOW hull speed, its just more paint to drag through the water. High LOA/LWL ratio boats are often sticky in light airs. Hull speed only matters when you can get to it.

Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse.

Last edited by jackdaw; 05-11-2016 at 11:37 AM.
post #15 of 49 Old 05-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Jer View Post
Outward appearance is not in the top 10 requirements.
You'll soon find that to be incorrect. If it's ugly, you'll soon to learn that it does matter. Very much.

Of course, everyone's definition of ugly is purely subjective.
Faster, seaner97 and seabeau like this.

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada
post #16 of 49 Old 05-11-2016
Administrator

If you have decided to go the 42 foot-ish, center cockpit route, I would like to recommend the Brewer 12.8 which are really wonderful boats. My father went through a similar search to yours, (except that he was an extremely experienced sailor at the time).

We looked at a large number of designs and he ultimately ended up with the Brewer12.8 cutter which turned out to be a perfect boat for that kind of use. Dad and my stepmother, Betty cruised the U.S east coast and Bahama's mainly. Both inshore and offshore the boat served them well. They also raced the boat quite successfully in their local sailing club.

The cutter rig was nicely balanced, points well, and offered a lot of options for addressing changing conditions. The retractable jib stay makes tacking much easier in coastal conditions. The centerboard allows these boats to have a very shallow draft for a boat this size and yet sail exceptionally well for a boat of this type on all points of sail. There are several of these for sale at very reasonable prices. I would try to find one of the original 12.8's or else a cutter rigged, centerboard model of the 44.

Here are some sample listings: The first of these belongs to original owner Harold Oldak, who along with Ed DuMoulin, of America's Cup fame, developed and commissioned Brewer's redesign that resulted in these boats.

1983 Brewer Cutter Rig Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1984 Brewer 12.8 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1990 Brewer 44 CC Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1984 Brewer 12 8 Center Cockpit Cutter Sail Boat For Sale -
1983 Whitby Brewer Cruising Sailboat Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #17 of 49 Old 05-11-2016

Brewer is a great idea. I also like the center cockpit Bristol's in this size range for this application.
post #18 of 49 Old 05-11-2016
Old enough to know better

Kelly Peterson 44, that is what I want! Only way I would ever want to go bigger (even given unlimited budget) would be if I were to start doing charters. I am just in love with the design and is one of the only center cockpits I like, though that Brewer looks nice too!

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #19 of 49 Old 05-12-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
.....the design and is one of the only center cockpits I like..
I'm partial to the Hylas 70 center cockpit. Then the OP has LWL, LOA and every other L they ever wanted. Did I mention it has a standup engine room, now that should be a priority.
davidpm likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #20 of 49 Old 05-12-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm partial to the Hylas 70 center cockpit. Then the OP has LWL, LOA and every other L they ever wanted. Did I mention it has a standup engine room, now that should be a priority.
There is an order of magnitude of funds lacking in order to obtain a 70 footer vs a 40 footer. I do agree with the stand up engine room. Before I changed the oil in out Nor'sea 27 I always wanted to be 6 foot 6. Now I want a shrink button installed to make me 4 foot tall.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in