SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   LOA vs LWL, looking for a boat (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/251473-loa-vs-lwl-looking-boat.html)

Skipper Jer 05-05-2016 08:12 PM

LOA vs LWL, looking for a boat

Yes I know what they stand for. We have been toying with the idea of a bigger boat. I'd like a boat with two cabins, high enough so one can stand up while putting on the pants. Been cruising yacht world and other listing sites to narrow the field down. While I thought a Gulfstar mid 40's would be a likely candidate I was disappointed that there was a 10 foot difference between LOA and LWL. Googling factors that affect boat speed naturally LWL is mentioned. Here: How Hull Drag and Wavemaking Resistance Affect Boat Speed through the Water the difference between a 35 foot and 45 foot is 1.1 knots. The other concern I have is paying slip rates for a 45 footer but only getting the performance/room of a 35 footer. So what boat should I look at in the mid 40 feet, under 100K, with 2 stand up cabins and draft no more that 5 foot but can have a center board? And if those amenities can be in a boat of less than mid 40's, what boat would that be?

BarryL 05-05-2016 08:50 PM

Re: LOA vs LWL, looking for a boat

Hey,

Catalina 400

Barry

Faster 05-05-2016 08:54 PM

I wouldn't read TOO much into those numbers. There are a lot of trade-offs and other factors involved.

Boats with long overhangs are prettier.. yes, they'll suffer in the volume department compared to the current crop of beamy plumb bows but they'll win on 'row away factor' every time.

Many boats with static 'short' LWLs gain significant effective LWL when they heel and when the stern wave begins to rise under the long counter, so I suspect the true 'difference' is not what it might seem on paper.

Your list of 'wants' - standing headroom, more space, decent layout that fits the need, nice finish, good build reputation should all take precedence over a stat like LOA/LWL.

I wouldn't know where to start suggesting boats, you've already shopped Yachtworld so start picking out boats that fit your wishlist and warm your heart.. go from there.

How about a Catalina 42 (to add to Barry's nudge)

robert sailor 05-05-2016 09:06 PM

Faster makes some good points and remember the long waterline boats can suffer in the real light stuff if the SA to Disp ratio is similar. Many of those boats with the plumb bows are a pain when anchoring as you ding up the bow or they install a light duty anchor roller assembly that can't take real strong side loading. So ya there are some negatives but they have more liveable areas and are just bigger all the way around, so as the others have said, some good, some not so good. That said unless your budget is up there a bit it's all mute because you may not be able to afford a newish boat.

Skipper Jer 05-05-2016 09:12 PM

I like the built in aft swim/boarding/sugar scoop transom on the Catalina. Not too crazy about 6foot+ draft.
Is there anyway of knowing what the dynamic LWL would be?
Outward appearances are nice but once on board, you don't see your boat's profile. Outward appearance is not in the top 10 requirements.

robert sailor 05-05-2016 09:15 PM

Ok that's some help, so list your top 10 wants in your new boat.

chef2sail 05-06-2016 02:14 PM

C&C38 or 42. Also A Tartan 40. All are long traditional lines, loa and lw almost the same. Plenty of room. Large sleeping areas and plenty of stand up room. Engines which match their size ( displacement). Oversized equipment such as winches, blocks etc. . Sturdy build. Did I say fast? C&Cs are quick. Afts are not squat.

Waltthesalt 05-06-2016 04:07 PM

LOA is important to the lowly matter of marinas. At our marina boats show up where the owner has waited several years to get a slip. The boat gets measured only to find that it's actually has a longer LOA than allowed for the slip. We allow up to over two feet over the length specified for the slip. The issue is having a minimum fairway distance between boats moored opposite to allow for maueuvering.

capta 05-06-2016 09:49 PM

You haven't said how you intend to use the boat. I learned way back that 'livability' was pretty much the MOST important factor when I was looking for a liveaboard ocean cruising boat. I didn't care if it was fast or slow, if it was comfortable while sailing or at anchor.
However, if I was looking for a daysailer/weekender, with possibly a week or two cruise a year, the one of Nat's designs would suit me perfectly. Lots of varnish for the wife to keep her busy and keep her from nagging me about what I had to do, and the prettiest thing in any marina or anchorage.
It's all about what one wants to use their boat for.

Skipper Jer 05-10-2016 07:07 PM

"You haven't said how you intend to use the boat. I learned way back that 'livability' was pretty much the MOST important factor when I was looking for a liveaboard ocean cruising boat." and "C&C 38"

Pretty sure we looked at a C&C 38. On the boat I am recalling (Next time I take notes) the way to get into the aft cabin bed was to crawl on one's hands and knees. Wasn't much head room over the bed either. Our intended purposes is coastal , Chesapeake bay, Bahamas and points north. I like varnish too, but on other people's boats.