Analysis Paralysis - The fear of buying - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 59 Old 05-09-2016

Re: Analysis Paralysis - The fear of buying

Here's my first post on Sailnet on July 26, 2012. https://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...questions.html

We bought the Seafarer a few days later on our 4th wedding anniversary. My wife had never been on a sailboat. She'll tell you today, heading into our 5th season with the boat, that it was the best decision we've ever made as a family. We have built a lifetime of memories. Do it.

Faster and Sal Paradise like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 05-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
...My wife has given the nod that its now time to take all that squirreled away money and go and buy one. Partly for her own sanity from hearing me question and re-question what our wants, needs, and budget are. ....
Just to re-lap. Is your wife as excited about going sailing as you are?

If she's not at least into the idea of family sailing, you're never going to find the right boat that changes her mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #33 of 59 Old 05-09-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Oh, I forgot to mention that since buying the boat 6 years ago, I have spent the purchase price (again) in maintenance and modest upgrades. The most expensive single item that I have spent money on has been canvas (custom dodger and bimini). And, don't get me started on *****ing about the $6K plus that I pay every year for a slip, insurance, and winter storage.

Be prepared for all of these expenses too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #34 of 59 Old 05-09-2016

Quote:
I've dreamed of owning a sailboat longer than I can remember when I started wanting one of my own. My wife has given the nod that its now time to take all that squirreled away money and go and buy one. Partly for her own sanity from hearing me question and re-question what our wants, needs, and budget are. My research, excitement, ups and downs of wondering if it will ever be possible (boats are expensive it turns out)

Last weekend a boat popped up from an old guy near me. More sq footage than we expected to ever own at our budget by 7ft LOA and I think he's just ready to downsize his life. I took a look and can't find any apparent critical issues. Engine and sails look great.

My issue is now I am finding myself paralyzed by my own doubts. Once reasoning says ok and the heart needs to kick in, how are you supposed to know the boat you're looking at is the right one? I'm afraid I've gotten myself stuck in an endless loop of what if. Have you experienced this?

What is rattling in my head:

+ The boat is older, so it needs some TLC both inside and out. It is, however right in my price range. Is it possible my expectations are off because of seeing too many new boats at boat shows?

+ The sleeping arrangement isn't ideal for a family of 4 but I can't afford a larger boat and monohulls kind of only have a few layouts that are even possible, so do I need to compromise my dreams for reality?

+ Being a 1985 boat, we're missing some creature comforts..fridge..TV...is this really a big deal?

Ugh...so tired of my own thoughts right now (Boat: 1985 Hunter 34)
Buying a boat is always an emotional purchase, they make zero sense financially! but if we did everything on financial grounds, the world would be a boring place! being old and needing TLC isn't a big deal if you're handy and WANT to do the work! I'm on my 5th boat (bought my first one in University) and my 3rd that need a complete refit. The price was right so I just factored in the work!

Sleeping arrangements are always a compromise, no boat is perfect. You just have to decide if it can work!

creature comforts. TV's were never even a part of boating until the last few years. its a sailboat first and foremost! its designed to take you places. IF you want a 50" TV in your boat...stay at home! They don't last all that long on a boat anyway!

Go for it if you think the boat will work for you!
post #35 of 59 Old 05-09-2016
Captain Obvious

In my experience buying boats - you just know,in your gut, that this is what you want. Sure, inspect, survey do your due diligence. But you will just know...... this is it. If not, if you feel the fear or ambivalent...you hold back - that feeling means wait, then one day you will be looking at a boat and your gut will say buy. And then you move fast.

The best boat deal I ever got was blind luck - the dealer mistook me for the buyer who was coming down to take the boat out. As we returned to the dock there was the buyer all red faced and I had a minute to close the deal or he would get it. Never hesitated for a second and my gut was steady. I noticed Caberg moved pretty quick when he found his boat too.
gamayun likes this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #36 of 59 Old 05-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post

I take it that this is the boat;
- credit SailboatData.com
Good advice.

My personal experience: a dinette interior in any boat WILL drastically reduce the amount of livable space down below. Drastically.

You'd get more space down below in a Catalina 30. Really.

A friend of mine did just what you're thinking of doing a few years ago. I went on the (same H34) boat with him and pointed that out to him, among other things.

I had a C22 with a dinette (that's all they had). I had a C25 with a traditional layout down below, although they came with a dinette version, too. I would NOT have bought one with a dinette interior. Dinettes simply have less floor space in the same hull and to me they are claustrophobic. I've been sailing here on SF Bay for 35 years and sailing since I was a kid (I'm 70).

Look, tons of skippers have and love their H34s, and good for them. They also have a reputation for being tender. This is from the same skippers who have and love their H34s.

Have you tried getting into the V berth and see if you fit? Hunters, while nice boats, of that era have narrow pointy bows. Do your feet fit? I ain't kiddin'.

Can you easily access the dipstick to check the oil?

Can you get to the batteries? On this model, they are under the cockpit sole, IIRC, to starboard of the bulkead to the quarterberth. Hard to get to.

But given your extremely limited experience, I strongly urge you to follow eh's advice and others and look around some more.

Your boat, your life, your choice.:

Good luck.

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada

Last edited by Stu Jackson; 05-09-2016 at 01:20 PM.
post #37 of 59 Old 05-09-2016

As yoda said "do or do not, there is no try" .
Don't attempt to analyze what your perfect boat should be , until you actually own a boat for a while you won't know what works best for your situation . I'd look for one that isn't a refit project , buy one that is solid , has all the major bits in good order but needs some love . Sail it ,work on it ,sit on it and have a glass of wine . It's easier to adapt to the boat than to find one that checks off all the things on a wish list .
Sal Paradise likes this.
post #38 of 59 Old 05-10-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
+ Being a 1985 boat, we're missing some creature comforts..fridge..TV...is this really a big deal?
If you're waffling on a boat buying decision because of the potential lack of a television set, I got nothing for you, and none of the other well meaning advice offered here will help you either.

Yes, I'm aware that you need to keep other family members enticed and entertained.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #39 of 59 Old 05-10-2016

I had always rationalized that if I was on the boat, I should either be working on it or sailing her. After six years and many finished projects, I finally caved and bought a 25" TV. Two hours later, I boxed it up and returned it. Stupid idea. I have a kayak. I'll use that instead. Kids can use tablets on board if they need entertainment.
Faster likes this.

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR
post #40 of 59 Old 05-10-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Several years ago after anchoring and settling in after sailing all day, getting a glass of wine and bottle of beer, we sat on either side of the cockpit and watched two spiders spin webs. We took bets on whose would finish first.

For us TV won't win over being on the water and watching whatever it is nature is doing around us.

But, everyone is different. To each their own as long as they don't bother anyone else doing it.
gamayun likes this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in