Analysis Paralysis - The fear of buying - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 59 Old 05-20-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Analysis Paralysis - The fear of buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Good advice.

Have you tried getting into the V berth and see if you fit? Hunters, while nice boats, of that era have narrow pointy bows. Do your feet fit? I ain't kiddin'.

Can you easily access the dipstick to check the oil?

Can you get to the batteries? On this model, they are under the cockpit sole, IIRC, to starboard of the bulkead to the quarterberth. Hard to get to.

Good luck.
Interesting that you say that...No, I don't fit in the V berth and I thought that interesting. I really don't want to sleep there or in the aft berth since it looks like a tunnel. I think I'll be right in center

The batteries do seem to be in an odd spot. Easily accessible from the cockpit though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 59 Old 05-20-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention that since buying the boat 6 years ago, I have spent the purchase price (again) in maintenance and modest upgrades. The most expensive single item that I have spent money on has been canvas (custom dodger and bimini). And, don't get me started on *****ing about the $6K plus that I pay every year for a slip, insurance, and winter storage.

Be prepared for all of these expenses too.
A quick update to the thread, thanks all! I have now looked at 5 boats since I posted this. 3 being similar years of the Hunter brand of varying sizes from 32 to 36ft. I also took a look at two Catalinas in the 34 and 36 range although both of those were notably more expensive than my budget allows.

I'm a lot more comfortable with the original boat I saw now. Many of the same imperfections I found on the other Hunter's of the same era so I'm assuming they are just age issues and things I could patch up over time. As one person said, I'm either sailing or working on the boat and looking forward to both.

I'm now making sure I am thinking of all the other expenses. insurance, docking, survey, and sales tax. Are there any other expenses I would need up front? Between all of the listed I am going to be out of cash for a few months until the kitty is refilled.

The boat just went in the water and is actively sailed now, so I'm assuming its ready to go.
post #43 of 59 Old 05-20-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Just to re-lap. Is your wife as excited about going sailing as you are?

If she's not at least into the idea of family sailing, you're never going to find the right boat that changes her mind.
My wife loves the ocean and loves boating. She is ok with sailing but is the sitting and drinking wine kind of boater. I think she is more concerned about the "life change" that owning a boat will require. We live 2 hours from the potential marina so we would most likely spend a weekend or two apart every month so I can go play on the boat. I don't think she plans on going every time with me. Being newly weds a whole weekend just feels like so long

post #44 of 59 Old 05-20-2016

Just be sure you and your wife are on the same page. Being apart every other weekend can be good for some and a serious strain for others.

As for additional expenses, I don't want to alarm you. However, every single boat on the planet is going to offer an opportunity to spend a bunch of money on fixing something that was working just fine when you bought it. Be prepared. Some of these can be understood, by knowing the age of sails, standing rigging, motors and electronics. Others, crap shoot. All can be impacted by how they were cared for over their lifetime and it's unlikely you can really know.

All the best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #45 of 59 Old 05-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
We live 2 hours from the potential marina so we would most likely spend a weekend or two apart every month so I can go play on the boat. I don't think she plans on going every time with me. Being newly weds a whole weekend just feels like so long
Every relationship is different but this would not have worked for us as newlyweds, and especially not now 9 years later with a 6 year old kid. But we're weekend warriors with those job things (sometimes weeknight warriors, too). And we're lucky that our boat is ~20 minutes from the house. As a family we are on the boat together at least 1-2x a week, and I can also get up there to work on the boat without killing an entire weekend, or even an entire day for that matter. For us, the boat been the best thing we've done for ourselves as a family, but a 4 hour roundtrip drive would have been a different story. It just would not have worked for us. I hope it works out for you.
seabeau likes this.
post #46 of 59 Old 05-20-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Every relationship is different but this would not have worked for us as newlyweds, and especially not now 9 years later with a 6 year old kid. But we're weekend warriors with those job things (sometimes weeknight warriors, too). And we're lucky that our boat is ~20 minutes from the house. As a family we are on the boat together at least 1-2x a week, and I can also get up there to work on the boat without killing an entire weekend, or even an entire day for that matter. For us, the boat been the best thing we've done for ourselves as a family, but a 4 hour roundtrip drive would have been a different story. It just would not have worked for us. I hope it works out for you.
I am hoping the solution isn't in the boat, but in the marina we choose. We're looking at one that has a nice town behind it with plenty of things to do. Hopefully that means a "weekend on the boat" also means shopping, eating, and enjoying the neighborhood for the girls. (wife and two teen daughters)
seabeau likes this.
post #47 of 59 Old 05-21-2016

Many marinas have a pool. One never did anything for me, as I'm here to go sailing. However, in your circumstance, if it gets the family to come along, while you do projects or get in a quick day sail, that would make sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #48 of 59 Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter

Took a second look over the weekend after spending the last few weeks looking at comparable boats. Odd how seeing the same boat a second time some things that initially were problems are now expected. The aft birth I mentioned is much bigger than I remember and with some TLC could be a nice cubby. I think she needs a lot of cleaning inside and possibly replacing the carpeting on the walls that are showing their age from sweating and condensation. Some of the concerns I have now researched and they don't scare me as much. Crazing on the lazarettes, for example.

So, I put in my offer. I asked a price that, if I sunk another $5,000 on getting her really cleaned up, I could turn around and sell her at market value. Now waiting on that phone call to say accepted....It's been 14 whole hours!
post #49 of 59 Old 05-31-2016

I have a really small boat---a West Wight Potter 19(sleeps four really good friends), but **** pit is only comfortable for three---fourth person really needs to sit on the swing in the hatch.

Even though it was almost new, I ended up paying for things that the wife needed: like a RID(dinghy) to get out to the mooring, $1000 for a mooring block of granite, a new Tohatsu 6 HP ob when the Honda blew up, a Torqeedo 1003, new rigging, and sundries like new PFD's. I'm sure that we spent an additional 5 grand over the cost of the boat. and then there is the Yacht Club costs of $500 a year to be mooring there.

Being 2 hours away from the boat is going to get old very quickly if the wife doesn't want to follow you. I know what my wife will tolerate and won't after 43 years of marriage, but you don't as a newlywed.

And please remember that sailing is really slow motorboating. You need a functional OB or IB motor. You won't like what happens if you get stranded out in the middle of the bay without motor power drifting without wind, and a big boat is much much harder to be towed. So the motor is very very important.

And of course there is the insurance, so when you misjudge your approach to the dock and slam mid ships into that 2 million dollar Hinkley Motor Yacht, you have the insurance to pay for repairs.
post #50 of 59 Old 05-31-2016

I recently came to terms with the fact that owning a sailboat is maintenance journey, not a static location. As someone already said, either you're working on it or sailing it. I personally kind of like working on my trailered Windrose 22, but then I can pull it to the house in about 10 minutes. But I enjoy thinking of ways I can make it more enjoyable and more comfortable for the family. Little things, like my plan to mount gas lifters for the pop-top, make me excited and give me something to look forward to. I'm currently kicking around ideas for a replacement cabin hatch.

At some point, once you've determined that the positives outweigh the negatives, you just have to pull the trigger and commit. Then just focus on making your decision a success by doing the cleaning, upgrading and maintenance that you know it needs.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in