Analysis Paralysis - The fear of buying - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 59 Old 05-31-2016

Re: Analysis Paralysis - The fear of buying

"And please remember that sailing is really slow motorboating. You need a functional OB or IB motor. You won't like what happens if you get stranded out in the middle of the bay without motor power drifting without wind, and a big boat is much much harder to be towed. So the motor is very very important."

Just about spit out my coffee over this one!
I have a motor on my current boat, I have had 3 with none and they sailed fine. I WILL put myself out of my misery if/when sailing becomes "slow motor boating".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 59 Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones92 View Post
I recently came to terms with the fact that owning a sailboat is maintenance journey, not a static location. As someone already said, either you're working on it or sailing it. I personally kind of like working on my trailered Windrose 22, but then I can pull it to the house in about 10 minutes. But I enjoy thinking of ways I can make it more enjoyable and more comfortable for the family. Little things, like my plan to mount gas lifters for the pop-top, make me excited and give me something to look forward to. I'm currently kicking around ideas for a replacement cabin hatch.

At some point, once you've determined that the positives outweigh the negatives, you just have to pull the trigger and commit. Then just focus on making your decision a success by doing the cleaning, upgrading and maintenance that you know it needs.
Great Response!

My father-in-law goes out all most every day to mow his grass, weed, clip, smooth, pick up leaves, sticks, yell at the passing cars for blowing leaves up from the curb. I've never understood that time commitment until I started working with my home aquarium, then RV, then house, and hopefully boat. I could spend hours dusting, cleaning, fixing, sanding little projects. I don't care. That's part of the enjoyment and relaxation for me. I am not shy about getting my hands dirty or you-tubing 20 videos of the same solution for fixing mundane problems. My biggest concern is something too big to handle on a day that I'd rather go sailing than fixing something. Like a loose keel, a broken stay, or a missing rudder.
post #53 of 59 Old 05-31-2016

I am not sure where you are presently in the search but my eyes stopped and reread the sentence about the marina being a two hour drive away. Some may differ but I could not live with that. Better to buy and RV and become a camper which we were before becoming sailors with the boat in a marina 10 minutes from the house. I go visit, work on, and sail her almost daily that way... I would really think about that 2 hour drive.

The two best days of a boater's life... The day he buys it and every day he SAILS it.

post #54 of 59 Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
I am not sure where you are presently in the search but my eyes stopped and reread the sentence about the marina being a two hour drive away. Some may differ but I could not live with that. Better to buy and RV and become a camper which we were before becoming sailors with the boat in a marina 10 minutes from the house. I go visit, work on, and sail her almost daily that way... I would really think about that 2 hour drive.
It's part of the package I'm afraid. I rented for two years in a nearby marina and made the drive down about 3 times a month to go sailing. After 30 or so trips, I was still ok with going down there. If I could stay overnight and drive back the next day, even better!
post #55 of 59 Old 06-04-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
Don't over analyze the situation. All boats are compromises so there is no best boat. Get one that you like, especially the design and layout, not because it was a good bargain. Most important, get one that you can sail (enjoy) from the start without doing lots of work so there is immediate "return on your investment":. If you've got to do a lot of repairs before you can use it, there's a good chance you might get to hate it. If you are not sure about what you are doing, get the opinions of some other experienced sailors. Surveys are expensive and if you get one, do it after you've decided you are going to take the boat unless survey shows some major problem (survey on older boat is likely to show some minor issues on an older boat). There is no perfect/ best boat, and most of us wouldn't recognize it if we saw one. If you decide you don't like it, you can sell it and get most of your money back in time....just don't buy a boat and cobble it up with amateur "upgrades" and repairs.
Thank you, this is exactly what happened today. I wanted the boat because it was a bargain, not because I fell in love with it. Even at the beginning I thought there was something wrong with the fact that I wasn't immediately gaga eyed at the boat. I guess I should have followed my gut from the beginning!

The survey took 30 minutes and the guy was nice enough to give me most of my money back because the deck and cabin turned out to be extremely damp. Mold was found in the aft birth and cabinets. thank goodness it was found and I felt it was highly worth the money for a Surveyor to save me from a never ending project boat. We decided to walk away at that point.

Oddly, the same day, another boat came across my path and I immediately fell in love with the layout and inside. It is a few small items short of perfect. I consider my "perfect" all of the things I wanted to do to the other boat to make me love it. This one had all those things already Its more expensive than I initially planned on spending, so I am now trying to convince the wife that spending $30k on a boat is smarter than spending $10k and doing $20k in repairs and upgrades.
post #56 of 59 Old 06-04-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanski View Post

Just about spit out my coffee over this one!
I have a motor on my current boat, I have had 3 with none and they sailed fine. I WILL put myself out of my misery if/when sailing becomes "slow motor boating".
Why do sailors always think that they way it is for them is the way it is for everyone else?

I sail in an area where they are rarely any other boat---out in an expanse of 40 sq miles of bay--next to Atlantic Ocean. I usually have to motor out to get to sailing area, and there are places in it where there is never any wind. I've been stuck out in the middle of the bay as night approached drifting toward the rocks because there was no wind and the motor died of ethanol poisoning. Its impossible for anyone to sail out in the bay where I live without a functional motor. Calling the USCG for help was not fun, and it was lucky they were close by, since their base is actually 10 miles away.

Sailing back to the mooring is dangerous in the middle of the mooring field with other boats.

If you sailed where I live, I guess you will need to put yourself out of your misery.
post #57 of 59 Old 06-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
....... now trying to convince the wife that spending $30k on a boat is smarter than spending $10k and doing $20k in repairs and upgrades.
It is, you should get more boat buying things already installed, not an even swap. Everything depreciates the moment it's bolted down.

Just keep in mind that you will be putting a few bucks into any boat you buy, in any condition. My current boat was purchased in like new condition, when she was approx 4 yrs old. I unexpectedly needed a new $3k turbo charger in the second year I owned her.

Lesson.... buy a boat without turbocharging.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #58 of 59 Old 06-05-2016

Random Thoughts

1. Consider how you'll REALLY use the boat. I had visions of 5 day cruises... entering year 4 we have yet to overnight anywhere but the mooring... we have found daysailing is really our preferred use as it is easier to entertain guests (on a 60s vintage 28-footer, there are no secrets below when using the head and everyone else is also below). This helps inform whether cockpit comforts take precedence over interior.

2. While most interior considerations are about how many it'll sleep, I think the head (privacy and roominess) and galley may be more important.

3. You mentioned teenage daughters. I've had several friends whose teenagers (esp. daughters) felt a weekend on a boat with parents was purgatory.

4. Some own a boat just to sail and view upgrades and maintenance as a chore. Others like the tinkering and maintenance. Consider what you'll enjoy and will work for your family. For me, I look forward to a day alone staying on the mooring doing fixit projects as much as I enjoy a day sailing. Your preferences will inform whether you should seek a sail-away boat or one with some work needed.

4b. If you're inclined to do work yourself, the cost of ownership can be greatly reduced. New standing rigging from a rigger would have been $5K for my boat, but I did it myself with Sta-Loks and all new materials for under $2.5K. A completely new 12-volt electrical system with 15 circuits cost me under $700... I'd guess it would have been over $2K if I hired someone. Your sweat will save money.
bigdogandy likes this.
post #59 of 59 Old 06-05-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriehl1 View Post
Random Thoughts

1. Consider how you'll REALLY use the boat. I had visions of 5 day cruises... entering year 4 we have yet to overnight anywhere but the mooring... we have found daysailing is really our preferred use as it is easier to entertain guests (on a 60s vintage 28-footer, there are no secrets below when using the head and everyone else is also below). This helps inform whether cockpit comforts take precedence over interior.
We are pretty sure we won't do more than a day or an overnight on the weekends. Careers and things get in the way of the true joys in life.

Quote:
2. While most interior considerations are about how many it'll sleep, I think the head (privacy and roominess) and galley may be more important.
A galley and private bathroom are actually more important to me than how many people I can sleep. I know 90% of the time we use the boat to entertain friends, we'll all be in the cockpit or on deck.

Quote:
4b. If you're inclined to do work yourself, the cost of ownership can be greatly reduced. New standing rigging from a rigger would have been $5K for my boat, but I did it myself with Sta-Loks and all new materials for under $2.5K. A completely new 12-volt electrical system with 15 circuits cost me under $700... I'd guess it would have been over $2K if I hired someone. Your sweat will save money.
I like getting my hands dirty. To me, that's half of what I get excited about with ownership over just renting someone else's boat or chartering. I'm one of those weirdos who likes to wash my car because I feel like I'm taking care of my things instead of it being a chore. It's comforting to tool around, polish, fix, etc. What I do know however, is that I have limited time so I am trying to focus on a boat that needs cosmetic things when I find the time and not structural things that preclude me from going sailing. I shall PM you when I'm ready to replace my standing rigging
seabeau likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in