Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick) - Page 16 - SailNet Community
 184Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 230 Old 05-20-2016
s/v Ilya

Re: Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
I don't see it as the case on the Chesapeake where I boat. Even in winter there are boats sailing. Quite a few hardy folks who are members of this forum enjoy bay day sailing in the winter.
I agree with Donna. Not only are we out in all kinds of crazy weather, we're also out in smaller and larger boats alike.
seabeau likes this.

Ilya's Adventures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advertisement

post #152 of 230 Old 05-22-2016

I think that digital media about sailing will help. Maybe a year and a half ago I saw the documentary Maiden Trip on Netflix. I thought "Holy ****, I want to do that." A while later I was on meetup.com and my local yacht club (which I didn't know existed) offered a beginner's course for $75. I jumped on it. I found sv Delos and La Vagabond, etc along the way. A year later I'm just about to embark on my first crew position. Sailing for a month and getting some blue water experience.

Note: I'm a 33yo old male, never married, no wife, kids, or debt. That makes it easier but we all have to live with our choices.
TomMaine and seabeau like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to LLCoolDave For This Useful Post:
gigamanx (05-24-2016)
post #153 of 230 Old 05-22-2016

I live on a large (600 miles of shoreline) lake. 157 homes in my neighborhood that has it's own marina. Lots of young families. 4 sailboats in our marina. All owned by people over 50. They young families all have pontoons, ski boats, bowriders. They have no interest in sailing.

post #154 of 230 Old 05-22-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
I think that digital media about sailing will help. Maybe a year and a half ago I saw the documentary Maiden Trip on Netflix. I thought "Holy ****, I want to do that."
Honestly, I think ANY media exposure would help. Even as someone who loves sailing and has been a boat owner for a couple of decades now, I feel like sailing has almost zero public profile in American life (can't speak to other countries). Even with major events like America's Cup I feel like you almost have to look to find the coverage or articles. The activity just doesn't register for most people. Even people like me who are attuned to stories or shows/movies involving sailing, I feel one rarely sees anything in the media good or bad.

I saw Maidentrip on Netflix too and it really helped rekindle a dormant interest in sailing for me, right around the time I got my current boat. It's funny because I remember hearing about Dekker and her circumnavigation and the controversy over it before she'd done it, and thinking "this is the stupidest stunt ever" and assuming she was getting pushed by fame whore "type A sports Dad" parents.

Watching the film gave me much more a sense of the person, her family and her background and philosophy with respect to sailing and it gave me a lot more respect and appreciation for her and what she did. Even though it's still crazy, as any solo circumnav kind of is whether it's done by a 14 year old or a 40 year old.
post #155 of 230 Old 05-22-2016

Maybe we need some heroes. French sure have a bunch. Sailing followed by non racers and even with the big races by non sailors.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #156 of 230 Old 05-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Maybe we need some heroes. French sure have a bunch. Sailing followed by non racers and even with the big races by non sailors.
Like the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria, all of our ancestors sailed here, then gave up the sport and stayed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #157 of 230 Old 05-23-2016

I'm in my 30s and sometimes get quizzical looks from friends when I mention that we own a sailboat. I'm pretty sure that many people my age associate sailing with the traditional yacht club image which is not exactly alluring to my generation.

post #158 of 230 Old 05-23-2016
Less Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
I'm in my 30s and sometimes get quizzical looks from friends when I mention that we own a sailboat. I'm pretty sure that many people my age associate sailing with the traditional yacht club image which is not exactly alluring to my generation.

As wth everything, it depends. It depends on where you live. It depends on whom you associate with. It depends on your income bracket. When I lived on south shore Ontario, there were lots of sailors. When I lived in the Midwest there were none. Here in Maine and coastal NE there are tons with new ones joining every year. My brother in law is early 30s and he and many of his friends sail.
post #159 of 230 Old 05-23-2016

To many people who went to the movies just recently the movie 'All is Lost' perhaps put some fear into what would have been new recruits to sailing... Seeing the danger and fears instilled in that movie (although to seasoned sailors the movie was bogus) put off many from joining the sailing call.

Perhaps there will be another movie made opening across the country like 'Wind' that showed the fun, excitement, losing/winning America's Cup that brings sailing back into the mainstream?
post #160 of 230 Old 05-23-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post

So which one is you? What's up with the guy who forgot his pants? Looks like he is in boxer shorts....

Lots of low budget to full on budget sailboats where I am, even though it is an expensive marina. Small 20 foot to 50 + foot ones, heck we even had the America here a week ago, not that I would call that one "low budget!"

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in