Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick) - Page 17 - SailNet Community
 184Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #161 of 230 Old 05-23-2016

Re: Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post

Note: I'm a 33yo old male, never married, no wife, kids, or debt. That makes it easier but we all have to live with our choices.
Don't Be Cruel
Sal Paradise and LLCoolDave like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 230 Old 05-24-2016

Thumbs down Re: Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
I think that digital media about sailing will help. Maybe a year and a half ago I saw the documentary Maiden Trip on Netflix. I thought "Holy ****, I want to do that." A while later I was on meetup.com and my local yacht club (which I didn't know existed) offered a beginner's course for $75. I jumped on it. I found sv Delos and La Vagabond, etc along the way. A year later I'm just about to embark on my first crew position. Sailing for a month and getting some blue water experience.

Note: I'm a 33yo old male, never married, no wife, kids, or debt. That makes it easier but we all have to live with our choices.
I have thoroughly enjoyed the coverage of the VOR and Americas cup online and on TV. Those two alone have gotten me excited about sailboat racing. I'm mid-30's and have found it very difficult to find anyone around my age that sails. I'd say most younger families are excited about the destination more-so than the enjoyment of boating. A party, marina, drinking, restaurant, etc. When I tell friends I can take them sailing, their first question is where are we going?

We're going sailing! :/
post #163 of 230 Old 05-24-2016

Best I can tell, most collegiate sailing teams are under 22 years old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #164 of 230 Old 05-24-2016

Which begs the question - does collegiate sailing team:collegiate population = sailing population:general population? If yes or greater, then all is fine. Otherwise not so.
post #165 of 230 Old 05-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
Which begs the question - does collegiate sailing team:collegiate population = sailing population:general population? If yes or greater, then all is fine. Otherwise not so.
It would be interesting to know the answer. However, I was refuting the notion that no young kids are taking up the sport.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #166 of 230 Old 05-24-2016
Yamsailor

I have been an ASA instructor for 11 years. I have observed the number of people taking sailing lessons is steadily decreasing over time.
SailingUphill likes this.

Sail Your Story!

post #167 of 230 Old 05-25-2016
Less Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
I have been an ASA instructor for 11 years. I have observed the number of people taking sailing lessons is steadily decreasing over time.
There has been a steady decrease in people reading the manual that comes with anything. Doesn't mean they aren't buying them.
post #168 of 230 Old 05-26-2016
Yamsailor

I am talking about on-the-water instruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
There has been a steady decrease in people reading the manual that comes with anything. Doesn't mean they aren't buying them.

Sail Your Story!

post #169 of 230 Old 05-26-2016
Less Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
I am talking about on-the-water instruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
My point is that getting instruction is at best loosely correlated to people doing.
post #170 of 230 Old 05-26-2016 Thread Starter
cdy

One item that I don't think sailing has addressed in the US is the growth of minorities , especially Latinos, who may love the water but not sailing. I am married to a Colombiana and have lots of Latino friends in Florida, many like power boats/jet skis but only know one into sailing - a Brazilian.
And Latinos still do lots together with family, but a fun day out on the water would be a cookout, lots of music and a couple of bottles of aguardiente - same thing we would do in the street in Medellin but just on a boat. Sailing would take away too much time from the fun.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in