Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick) - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 184Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Re: Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
Yea, I know, I'm old and don't get it.
This is the problem... we're all 'old' to some degree none of us are under 25 yrs of age. I bet if we took a poll here you'd be surprised at the age group of most posters here. I bet there is 1-2% of us under 30 yrs of age posting anywhere here or other sailing forums and if they are younger are not spending their time on these forums but instead sailing/power-boating, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Jeremiah, my statements are based upon my own experiences with lots of younger individuals that I know personally and what I see in day to day life. Yes, I'm old, and damned proud to have lived this long.

I read the article you referenced, and it really did not provide what I anticipated as quality research and factual information. Maybe I missed something, but the article appeared to have more to do with work ethics of younger individuals than anything else. I think the irony of this was seen a week ago when I went to a Verizon store to exchange some top boxes. There were two young ladies in their mid 20s behind the counter, and one young man about the same age. One of the ladies, who was very attractive, I might add, immediately acknowledged that I was in the store and asked if she could help me. The second lady never looked up from her I-phone, and the young man was busy packing some stuff in boxes, so I didn't expect him to respond.

I was there for at least 20 minutes, filling out forms, etc..., the young lady taking care of me asked several questions and put the information in her computer, and two other couples walked into the store. The other young lady was still glued to her I-phone and never looked up. Finally, the young man stopped what he was doing and acknowledged the other customers in the store. Now, if I were the owner/franchiser/manager of that store, and I witnessed that type of work ethic, that young lady would be looking for another place or type of employment. She either had an affliction or an addiction to her I-phone, and from my observations, that phone was the most important thing in her life. Do you sincerely believe that this type of individual could be remotely interested in the sport of sailing?

Gary
post #43 of 230 Old 05-10-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post

The financing situation makes it difficult too. Banks will no longer finance a sailboat that is over 20 years old even though there are plenty of boats out there much older than that that are still very fine and capable boats, until they aren't.

Shhh... Don't tell my bank that I just financed a 35 year old boat, using a boat loan (not an "unsecured" loan).

Oh wait...they already know.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #44 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Good to see that old people are still complaining about the decline of the younger generation. Maybe in 30 or 40 years I can use my iphone to look back on this message and remind myself to not do the same.
capecodda and TomMaine like this.
post #45 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Shhh... Don't tell my bank that I just financed a 35 year old boat, using a boat loan (not an "unsecured" loan).

Wow....I am very happy for you. We were able to finance a 1982 Cape Dory 28 in 2007, but that was the last time. Since the "crash" or whatever you want to call it, we have been told by every bank (our own credit union of many years included), marine loan company, and marine loan broker that no, no, and triple no way will they finance the older boats. You are sitting on an information gold mine knowing someone who will do it.
post #46 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Good to see that old people are still complaining about the decline of the younger generation. Maybe in 30 or 40 years I can use my iphone to look back on this message and remind myself to not do the same.
It will be a handheld holographic virtual reality device, and your old photos won't be compatible
post #47 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

All I know is that I'm supposed to be complaining about 20-somethings (I'm a bit over 40), but instead I spend my days hiring and managing them, and my weekends and evenings sailing with them. Half of my race crew is under 30; one of them can't even come to the bar with us after races. I don't think the problem is the people, I think it's mainly economics and the institutions that have grown around sailing. Not much you and I can do about the economy, but I feel like folks here can do a lot to reform our existing institutions, and to help build new ways to let folks get out on the water.
oldragbaggers and Yamsailor like this.
post #48 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post

Since I live in the same area as you and tried everything, including Trident Funding who said they had no sources that would do it, I would love to know who did your financing for you. Also, what kind of boat?
post #49 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

I'm seeing an opposite trend. Boats are so cheap. Many of the kids that sailed when they were young, still do around here.

We bought our son a sail-away 26'er, for a dollar last fall(yeah it needs work...). He's looking forward to do a little coastal cruising when he gets home from school, mid summer. He has a friend with another 'dollar' boat (his dad paid some money, but it's only worth a dollar, trust me), that will join him. Those boats will be packed with kids that love to sail and be out on the water.

I can't imagine getting involved in sailing boats like that when I was his age. No way! The first boat I bought as an adult, was a canoe(275 bucks, I remember).

We've got him on the waiting list for a mooring(there's waiting lists in all harbors around here). Once he gets that, he can keep that boat for about 1,000 a year to haul store, launch and moor.

Not a bad price compared to many recreations.

Our daughter too, still loves to sail and comes home from NYC (where she works), to see us, and to go sailing(and she brings friends to sail). She's making real money and will probably be able to afford more than a dollar boat when she decides to come back to Maine (and she will, you just know your kids).

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #50 of 230 Old 05-10-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Since I live in the same area as you and tried everything, including Trident Funding who said they had no sources that would do it, I would love to know who did your financing for you. Also, what kind of boat?
Navy Federal Credit Union, for a Tartan 33.

I spent 30 minutes on a Sunday afternoon, talking with a human representative (not a computer) who asked me a script of questions about the equipment, then she ran all that through an algorithm that spat out a result in the form of a maximum loan amount and an interest rate.

My friend also bought a Tartan 33 back in October and was successfully financed by USAA for a considerably larger sum than mine. (Yes we're twinsies now, don't judge.)

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in