Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick) - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 184Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Re: Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Navy Federal Credit Union, for a Tartan 33.

I spent 30 minutes on a Sunday afternoon, talking with a human representative (not a computer) who asked me a script of questions about the equipment, then she ran all that through an algorithm that spat out a result in the form of a maximum loan amount and an interest rate.

My friend also bought a Tartan 33 back in October and was successfully financed by USAA for a considerably larger sum than mine. (Yes we're twinsies now, don't judge.)
Awesome. We used to have NFCU, but closed our accounts years ago and can't reopen them now because husband is out of the Navy, but not a full retiree, darned. However, we just moved all our accounts to USAA so maybe when it's time for our senior trawler we'll have better luck.

Congrats on your boat, and your twin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 230 Old 05-10-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

NFCU keeps relaxing their membership requirements, so perhaps you should check again.
oldragbaggers likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #53 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

It's unfair to generalize about any group of society.. but there are definitely 'things' that have developed in today's connected world that I don't believe are necessarily for the better.

People talk about 'needing' a TV on the boat... really? ... How many times have you walked by a cafe patio and seen couples sitting together, both heads down tapping on their phones. I often wonder if they are texting each other rather than speaking to each other... All the same, the technology is amazing and enables good things too.

We get away for 6-8 weeks every summer.. rarely get wifi, don't have data plans and we're often out of coverage anyway. As much as I enjoy participating on SN, the summer breaks are very refreshing - and it always takes weeks to get back 'on line' like I am in winter.
capecodda likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #54 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post

Another head scratcher is the sheer number of boats that are in the marina, covered in green and birdsh*t, and never leaving the dock.
It's a truly sad sight. For some dreams are like the stars that we can never reach, but none the less, we set our course by them, some plot a better course than others I suppose.

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

1974 Ranger 33

Friends don't let friends do stupid things alone
post #55 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I suspect what you're seeing has as much (or more) to do with families needing two incomes to make ends meet, with job and other demands on peoples' time making recreation less attainable. Plus it's easier to buy/rent a tent trailer and go on a road trip than to figure out how to sail a boat.

Another head scratcher is the sheer number of boats that are in the marina, covered in green and birdsh*t, and never leaving the dock. In our area presumably someone is still paying $4-5K/year to 'keep' something they clearly never use.
This must be a regional thing. My marina, and this whole general area, has a very active sailing culture. Not saying we don't have derelicts around, but I am not exaggerating when I say that there are so many boats going in and out of our marina during the season that you sometimes have to sit outside in the channel and circle around to wait your turn to come in and dock. And the entrance to Middle River is like the freeway sometimes with all the boat traffic going in and out, and a lot of it is sail. Ever been boating in the Annapolis area? They don't call it the sailboat capital of the world for nothing. I'm sure it's less than it used to be, but there are still a lot of sails flying around here on any given weekend during the season.

We have a little sailing center run by the county at the end of our street. They have quite a large fleet of little 12' sailing dinghies that they offer classes on. I love seeing them all out in the Bay loaded with kids learning to sail. I would love to see more of that. Maybe kids might like it more if they learned it that way, as a fun activity with other kids, rather than just being dragged along with their parents.
post #56 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

"Dead" boats standing about in marinas has been endemic since I was a teenager (and that was a long time ago). I used to wander about our local marina and drool over boats that never left the dock year after year. We still have those boats all around us, different country, different era, same scenario. There's nothing new there.

Where I live/boat, we have the near-sinkers as well but I can look out the window on any given day at just about any time and see sail boats passing by. Most schools in our area have sailing on their sports curriculum and they are mostly oversubscribed. Any achorage within the cruising areas that we frequent is always full of boats, not all sailors but we are well represented all year round.

What is of considerable interest to me is that the mid-sized sailing boat is no longer built in NZ. If you want one, you buy used or you buy an import. This in a country where the 25 to 35 footer is the most common size out there. One can only assume that older boats are continuously changing hands or the ownership is growing older because the new imports are generally financially out of reach for the younger folks.

But to answer the question - no, sailing is definitely not dying in NZ.

BTW, who saw Team New Zealand sailing the last race in NYC a few days ago? From a penalty on the start line and stone-last to a kick-a$$ win. And we have a 49r crew who have not lost a regatta in the last 26 (I think) they have sailed and have won 4 consecutive world titles. No, sailing is alive and very well here down under.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by Omatako; 05-10-2016 at 03:28 PM.
post #57 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
They don't call it the sailboat capital of the world for nothing.
Did you hear that France, New Zealand and Australia just declared war on the US.

You might want to rethink that ?
post #58 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckfd View Post
Did you hear that France, New Zealand and Australia just declared war on the US.

You might want to rethink that ?
I should have said sailboat capital of the U.S. or sailboat capital of America.

When will I ever learn.....
post #59 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
I should have said sailboat capital of the U.S. or sailboat capital of America.

When will I ever learn.....
Did you hear that Newport, Camden ME, San Francisco and San Diego, Seattle just declared war on Annapolis!

;-)

Oh yeah Vancouver sorry my CA brothers...
post #60 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodda View Post
The train maybe leaving the station, but IMHO we could all contribute to turning this situation for the better. Here's some ideas:

1. Don't make it elitist, because it isn't.
2. Don't always lead with how expensive it is.
3. Teach, but a little at a time. ...put your new sailer on the helm and shut up when they mess up.
4. Post pictures
5. Don't scare them away.
6. Don't minimize any sailing experience.
7. Take young people sailing.
Capecodda nailed it. The future of sailing is in all of our hands. I never set foot aboard a sailboat before I showed up at USNA, but I know I would have loved to sail as a youngster.

I have a secret plan to take as many people sailing as I can. We have many friends with young kids... who knows what lifelong memories and future sailing passion can be instilled in just one afternoon on a sailboat.

I can't really say how sailing is faring in NC, though there are just as many sailboats on the water down by Morehead City as I recall 10 or 20 years ago.

I think a lot has to do with the fact that a lot of "affordable" boats are getting older, and as I understand it, fewer and fewer boats are being made in the 20-23' range (which seems to be the ideal trailer sailor range for someone with a family). Older boats fall into disrepair, people get scared away from them. Newer boats are EXPENSIVE! (just look on sailboatlistings.com for 20-23' boats made since 2010).

On a side note, I sometimes wonder if there isn't a potential business for buying project sailboats, restoring them to excellent or like-new condition, and reselling for a modest profit.
Yamsailor and capecodda like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in