Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick) - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 184Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Re: Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick)

No. 4 on capecodda's list is really important. Flooding your Twitter, Facebook and whatever other social media sites with pictures on boats will give all your contacts FOMO and that is a great way to spike interest.
boathooked likes this.

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Bones92, what years were you at the Academy? My husband was a sailing instructor there from 1987-1990.
post #63 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Bones92, what years were you at the Academy? My husband was a sailing instructor there from 1987-1990.
1988-1992

I did the OSTS(?) program during my 2nd-class year, until the Spring when I discovered that Marine Corps OCS would prevent me from being able to do the 3-week summer sailing cruise. Still, those months of taking the Navy 44's out each afternoon were really fun.

post #64 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones92 View Post

On a side note, I sometimes wonder if there isn't a potential business for buying project sailboats, restoring them to excellent or like-new condition, and reselling for a modest profit.
Wuchoo been smokin'?
miatapaul and Minnesail like this.
post #65 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones92 View Post
Quote:
1988-1992

I did the OSTS(?) program during my 2nd-class year, until the Spring when I discovered that Marine Corps OCS would prevent me from being able to do the 3-week summer sailing cruise. Still, those months of taking the Navy 44's out each afternoon were really fun.
Which boat? My husband was on the Courageous. His name is Lance Williams
post #66 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post

The bottom line is that powerboats do not require any skill to operate. In Maryland, you take a silly little safety course online and print out your Completion Certificate and that's it.

Sailing is a skill that takes a little time to cultivate and to many, it looks like too much effort expended for too little reward regardless of the fuel savings.
I own a powerboat and am part of a sailing club. I can say, without a doubt, that this is the core of the issue. My own wife, who did ASA101 with me and is open to owning a sailboat still occasionally wonders why given how much time/skill it takes compared to just starting the engines and going.

Given two working parents, kids activities out the wazoo, and the typical "honey do" list, what time people do have they want to "get and go", sorry but sailing is not conducive to that mentality.
Yamsailor likes this.
post #67 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

^^^^ Both comments in the above post are great!!

Indeed, getting a sailboat underway, sailing it efficiently, getting back in the slip; all take skill and effort, as mentioned, to do it well...but THAT'S what makes it good!

Right now I'm teaching my son to sail. We rent a Hunter 18. First time out, he asked where the engine is; told him there is none. We leave, navigate the channel's turns, sail the bay, and return, all under sail. Told him this is how we had to do it with the Knockabouts at the Naval Academy. I LOVE it.
oldragbaggers and bones92 like this.

Everything always looks darkest before it goes completely to hell...

Last edited by VF84Sluggo; 05-10-2016 at 09:45 PM.
post #68 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahblatz View Post
The amount of fogeys complaining about kids and their short attention spans/instant gratification desires here is really disappointing. If you care about getting young people in boats, you might want to do some reading based on actual research. For example: https://hcexchange.conference-board.....cfm?post=5173
I do not consider myself a "fogey", let alone old, at 46. However in interacting with my 17 year old step-son and 16 year old step-daughter (and by proxy their friends), they ARE glued to their devices/the Internet, period. I had my step-son damn near go into a panic when we found out a house we were looking at purchasing could ONLY get a 6mbps Internet connection (we have 50mbps now). Not kidding.

He has gone sailing with me, and actually stated how it calmed him and took him away from his iPhone, but that is a powerful addiction sadly.
capecodda and Minnewaska like this.
post #69 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Sticks still rule in Maine.
Beautiful photo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Beneteau First 38 Kaimana
post #70 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Quote:
Wow....I am very happy for you. We were able to finance a 1982 Cape Dory 28 in 2007, but that was the last time. Since the "crash" or whatever you want to call it, we have been told by every bank (our own credit union of many years included), marine loan company, and marine loan broker that no, no, and triple no way will they finance the older boats. You are sitting on an information gold mine knowing someone who will do it.
USAA (if you are able to join) will loan on just about any boat age. They care about one thing...value of loan to value of boat.
Yamsailor likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in