Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick) - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 184Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Dock
Re: Is sailboat ownership dying ( or at least sick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Shhh... Don't tell my bank that I just financed a 35 year old boat, using a boat loan (not an "unsecured" loan).

Oh wait...they already know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
You are sitting on an information gold mine knowing someone who will do it.

We just financed our 32 year old Beneteau - options were limited, but we found a lender willing to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Beneteau First 38 Kaimana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
Navy Federal Credit Union, for a Tartan 33.
+1 for NFCU - they financed us, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 Beneteau First 38 Kaimana
post #73 of 230 Old 05-10-2016

In Minneapolis there is obviously a different sailing culture than on the coasts, but I don't see any signs of ownership dying.

The little city lake where I keep my boat only filled about half the buoys two years ago. Last year just a couple buoys were left. This year there's a waiting list. Lots of new boat owners, and some of the old owners are moving up to nicer boats.

I'm also in a community sailing club on another lake. When we opened up the website for new members this spring all 40 spots were filled within 5 minutes. And a lot of people who join that club get hooked and later end up buying their own boat (that's what happened to me).

Of course I'm talking about smaller boats than what most of the rest of you are talking about, but it shows there's no lack of interest in sailing and sailboat ownership, at least here in flyover land.

(Oh, to all the "Get off my lawn, you damned kids!" people out there: A lot of the people I'm talking about are young. On my lake there's an 18-year-old with a Balboa 22.˙A lot of the people in the sailing club are recent college graduates. People have been griping about the kids since Shakespeare, heck, since the bible. Ain't nothing new under the sun, the oldsters always think the kids are useless, but it always works out.)
seaner97 likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

post #74 of 230 Old 05-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
...The life of hanging out on 30+ year old sailboats that means 'work' just doesn't appeal to younger crowds... I can't get my son interested at all in the sailboat anymore... at first he liked sailing with us but lost interest doing other more interesting (to him) adventures with his friends. The idea of sailing with 53 year old mom and 60 year old dad just wasn't in the cards for him... he'd rather be with his friends gaming/hanging out... even though we introduced him at an early age sailing/boating with us. Same with my daughter... just not interested at all... sad but this is the plight of our sailing future...
I think this is more of a generational thing than something new.

I felt the exact same way your son does and my father could have written the above back in the late 60's and early 70's. Of course now that I'm 61 and coming back to sailing, I sure wish I would have taken all those lost opportunities of not only sailing but the time I could have spent with my Dad.

Last edited by pdxskipper; 05-11-2016 at 03:31 AM.
post #75 of 230 Old 05-11-2016

I wouldn't despair too much... young people who are infatuated with their electronic devices may learn that there is more to life than FB and snapchat (whatever that is). After all... I only finally got around to getting a sailboat last year... and I'm in my 40s. It's part of the maturation process. I suspect that older folks wagged their heads in disappointment when some of us were feeding quarters into arcade machines back in the 80s. I think we were lucky, as most of us didn't have these gadgets at home, and that (for me) a trip to the arcade was an infrequent luxury. Such distractions (obsessions) were not constantly at our fingertips.
Minnesail likes this.
post #76 of 230 Old 05-11-2016

Hard not to point out the irony of an old guy like me complaining about the next generation of sailors spending too much time on the internet whilst simultaneously posting to this thread.

Yep, a complicated old guy I am.
post #77 of 230 Old 05-11-2016

I have owned at least one boat continuously since I graduated from college. My first boat was a sailboat, but I quickly tired of the maintenance tasks, expenses, and overall work it took to participate in sailing. Being young, I wanted less work and more excitement, and I wanted to hang out with young people, not old farts. So I got into whitewater canoeing and kayaking. Those boats are relatively inexpensive and require ZERO maintenance. The fun and excitement factors are HUGE. Related sports include backcountry skiing, climbing, mountain biking, surfing, kiteboarding. All have huge fun-to-maintenance ratios. All attract athletic, fun, free-spirited women. And none of those sports are having problems attracting young people.

Putzing around on sailboats is an old fart activity. And by old fart, I mean predominantly male. For a young guy looking to sow some oats, purchasing an old Catalina 22, or similar boat, is a very poor move. The sailboat marina is not a target-rich environment, especially with all those abandoned, decaying boats hanging onto the docks, giving the place the air of a cheap nursing home.

OTH, if a young guy has a good girlfriend, bareboat chartering in the Caribbean is awesome!

Last edited by jwing; 05-11-2016 at 10:08 AM.
post #78 of 230 Old 05-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
I have owned at least one boat continuously since I graduated from college. My first boat was a sailboat, but I quickly tired of the maintenance tasks, expenses, and overall work it took to participate in sailing. Being young, I wanted less work and more excitement, and I wanted to hang out with young people, not old farts. So I got into whitewater canoeing and kayaking. Those boats are relatively inexpensive and require ZERO maintenance. The fun and excitement factors are HUGE. Related sports include backcountry skiing, climbing, mountain biking, surfing, kiteboarding. All have huge fun-to-maintenance ratios. All attract athletic, fun, free-spirited women. And none of those sports are having problems attracting young people.

Putzing around on sailboats is an old fart activity. And by old fart, I mean predominantly male. For a young guy looking to sow some oats, purchasing an old Catalina 22, or similar boat, is a very poor move. The sailboat marina is not a target-rich environment, especially with all those abandoned, decaying boats hanging onto the docks, giving the place the air of a cheap nursing home.

OTH, if a young guy has a good girlfriend, bareboat chartering in the Caribbean is awesome!
Jwing.... Awesome post and to the point of why the younger crowd are not lining up, crowding the marinas with enthusiastic feelings of being on some sailboat. You're correct that many younger people don't see the fulfillment we had when we were younger... There were no cellphones, internet, gaming systems, etc. that kept us away from the dock or marina... We simply had no choice other than motoring in some heap we either inherited from our parents or we work and saved hard to buy one... outside of this there wasn't anything but bike to our dad's boat and hangout on it. The only exciting thing we had on the weekends was getting a sail/fishing with dad... mom stayed home.

Today at my sailing club the members are all in their fifties/sixties and some that should not even own a boat at all... based on what I see. The rest are 2 young guys in their late 20's to early 30's and that's it! When the club has a regatta it's just the same old guys with their guests (also in their senior years) and it's a 1-2 hour thrill... they all come back to their slips.

Good points...
post #79 of 230 Old 05-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Today at my sailing club the members are all in their fifties/sixties and some that should not even own a boat at all...

Those are the people I'm counting on to sell me a boat, cheap, next year.
Minnesail and RooDog like this.
post #80 of 230 Old 05-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post

*runs sobbing from thread*
(it hurts because there is much truth in this post!)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in