Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 47 Old 05-12-2016

Re: Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat

I cruise the Southeastern Coast of the US. Due to the primordial soup that I perpetually exist in, a hard dingy is a must. All hard objects, piling, hard bottoms and everything in between is covered in either barnacles or oysters. My Walker 10, can carry two passengers, with collapsible bicycles and groceries. Powered by a two stroke 2 hp. OB or oars. Tow it with a simple bridle or stow it using the main halyard. Its not too bad a comprise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 Old 05-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We routinely use our 9.5 foot plastic kayaks from Perception. Their current version is the Conduit.. Conduit 9.5 | Perception

We've had ours for over a decade.. virtually indestructable, beach/rock/barnacle proof and we use them to run shore ties, runs to stores and marinas for small 'orders', and for recreational explorations. Getting in and out alongside takes some practice, and some reasonable upper body strength and good balance combined with a reasonably deep ladder make things much easier.

They stow nicely on deck, are friendly to fiberglass (no scrapes/scratches on the mothership) and are light weight (I can carry two of them at once if need be) They don't tow reliably, they track OK but occasionally catch a wave badly and flip over (very slow!)

I think you could find a way to carry one of these even on a CD 25

btw the improvement in paddling (and reward for effort) over the inflatable will astound you!

That's awesome Faster... We don't have a dinghy of sorts and since we mostly go from slip to slip at marinas rarely if ever have a need for a dinghy inflatable or hard shell... I just purchase two http://www.sundolphin.com/excursion-10-ss/ which are similar to yours, 10' sit- in, plastic same as yours, sure they'll fit our H28 just fine tied to the stanchions.

I think we'll get lots of use from these kayaks in our waterway (Turner's Creek), I bought the 'fishing' version with rod holder but may add two more rod holders behind the seat. So we'll be using them in areas I know there is fish but can't get to them from our dock. Great idea... saw the use/storage of these gems on one of the cruising Cat videos. Can't wait to get my hands on them, mate is very happy I'm getting them.
post #13 of 47 Old 05-14-2016

Thanks GG.. we've really made good use of ours. Prior to getting a small RIB we had a roll-up zodiac.. it only came out of the locker when we had visitors. Otherwise the kayaks did the job.

The key with these stubby little guys is some means of directional stability - either a skeg/keel or, as in our case, a couple of 'reverse' skegs, two long parallel hollows in the bottom that keep the kayak from slewing side to side too much (visible in the pic)

We once went for a flotilla paddle to a tidal inlet a couple of NM off.. one guy (fit) had an inflatable, the rest were kayaks similar to ours. He was exhausted at the end, mostly due to an inefficient seating/posture and the extra drag/lack of 'go' for the effort.

Enjoy!!
guitarguy56 likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #14 of 47 Old 05-14-2016

Fast... Thanks... Yes good points on the tracking... I see these skegs can be added, I just looked at some options for removable skegs to avoid breakage. The kayak we ordered is tunnel hulled I believe so therefore more stable to board. We have used the near flat bottoms before and difficult to get back in if they flip over... hoping these are much easier.
post #15 of 47 Old 05-14-2016

Do you have a good (deep) stern ladder?

I have enough upper body strength and balance to get in and out no problem (at least so far! ).. but my wife does not. She can get in OK from the ladder by ensuring she keeps her weight centered (and moving quickly), but to get out she pulls alongside the ladder, puts her near foot outside the kayak and down onto the first underwater rung, then grabs an upper rung and hauls herself up and out.. no weight/load on the kayak at all, all on the ladder.

No accidental swims since we sorted that out.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #16 of 47 Old 05-14-2016

I like the hybrid kayaks with a retractable skeg. Retracted it can manage waves, some whitewater (with a spray skirt) and maneuvers like a dream. With the skeg down it tracks like a proper sea kayak, though somewhat slower (wilderness Aspire). Tracks great, though I only tow it behind the dinghy.

I'm going to have to try towing it in waves just so that I can share that information. I suspect with a cockpit cover in place it will probably do pretty well. But if there is any possible way to pull it on deck, it is one less thing to worry about, and dragging a hard kayak on-deck is child's play, literally.

guitarguy56 likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 05-14-2016 at 03:18 PM.
post #17 of 47 Old 05-14-2016

Sounds like a fun and really cool option! I might do that as well!
post #18 of 47 Old 05-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Do you have a good (deep) stern ladder?

I have enough upper body strength and balance to get in and out no problem (at least so far! ).. but my wife does not. She can get in OK from the ladder by ensuring she keeps her weight centered (and moving quickly), but to get out she pulls alongside the ladder, puts her near foot outside the kayak and down onto the first underwater rung, then grabs an upper rung and hauls herself up and out.. no weight/load on the kayak at all, all on the ladder.

No accidental swims since we sorted that out.
Yes.. I do have the stock fold down ladder mounted in the stern and does go below the water line... This would enable us to get onboard from the kayak... My dock (floating) sits about a foot above sea level so the kayaks would be about level or just below the planks for us to ingress/egress out of them.

My wife has good upper strength as she works out and is a decent swimmer... her problem stems from her weak legs due to thrombosis and occasional swelling. I don't believe it would be an issue and looking forward to some quiet kayaking up and down the creek.
Faster likes this.
post #19 of 47 Old 05-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Yes.. I do have the stock fold down ladder mounted in the stern and does go below the water line... This would enable us to get onboard from the kayak... My dock (floating) sits about a foot above sea level so the kayaks would be about level or just below the planks for us to ingress/egress out of them.

My wife has good upper strength as she works out and is a decent swimmer... her problem stems from her weak legs due to thrombosis and occasional swelling. I don't believe it would be an issue and looking forward to some quiet kayaking up and down the creek.
Leg strength is a problem.

There is really no requirement for upper body strength, if done properly. The key is place all of your weight on one foot, in the center of the kayak. it is then reasonably stable.

The other boarding method that works well is to place a paddle across between one point of support (dock, swim platform, dinghy) and the back of the kayak cockpit and slide across. Lacking a sugar scoop, swim platform, or at least a water-level step, it's harder.
guitarguy56 likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #20 of 47 Old 05-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Leg strength is a problem.

The key is place all of your weight on one foot, in the center of the kayak....
Yes this is one huge problem for her... but in time she may get used to it... I mean we have a two story home and she climbs the steps everyday just fine... it's when she doesn't have a good foothold that the problems arise.

We are versed with the paddle method of boarding and using the left hand to grasp both the paddle and cockpit lip to enter. No problem there and she does get into the kayak easy... the issue is more with the ingress/egress from the stern ladder... as the kayak is moving especially if any current is there. We have a fast moving current in Turners Creek, so the best times are between tides. I'll have to either help her from the stern ladder or be first in one kayak to support it as she gets in.

Outside of this we've owned and used kayaks before... just never used them on the boat as the 'dinghy'. Should be interesting how it'll all play out.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in