SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/252081-kayak-dinghy-small-sailboat.html)

pdqaltair 05-15-2016 09:26 PM

Re: Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat

^^ Given that she has experience, I would start thinking about accommodation; what can you do to make it work.

My wife has trouble getting in a dinghy; balance and arthritis. The answer was to add a swim platform and tie the dinghy to the boat, as though it were a yacht tied alongside a dock. Perhaps there is some kayak equivalent, perhaps even something including a clamp. Think outside the box.

guitarguy56 05-16-2016 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdqaltair (Post 3490130)
^^ Given that she has experience, I would start thinking about accommodation; what can you do to make it work.

My wife has trouble getting in a dinghy; balance and arthritis. The answer was to add a swim platform and tie the dinghy to the boat, as though it were a yacht tied alongside a dock. Perhaps there is some kayak equivalent, perhaps even something including a clamp. Think outside the box.

My head is devising at the moment some sort of rigging/support for the kayak to be stabilized to the swim ladder so there would be some stability when she enters. From the dock it is easy for her to get in. The kayaks we bought are wide cockpit so she should have no problems with these... GoPro ordered and will mount to the front of the kayak... We want to do this:

:2 boat:

seabeau 05-16-2016 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarguy56 (Post 3490522)
My head is devising at the moment some sort of rigging/support for the kayak to be stabilized to the swim ladder so there would be some stability when she enters. From the dock it is easy for her to get in. The kayaks we bought are wide cockpit so she should have no problems with these... GoPro ordered and will mount to the front of the kayak... We want to do this:

Kayak Fishing, Pompano Beach,FL. Two Mahis, Wahoo and a Kingfish! - YouTube

:2 boat:

Perhaps a device somewhat like a chain binder (semi-truck term)and hook? Or a short piece of lightweight playground chain attached to the ladder,with integral spring(like on an old fashoned screen door) with a small hook on its end and a receptacle for the hook attached to the small boat. The springs tension would ensure that regardless of the small boats relative weight it would remain attached and yet still have some give as not to provide a pivot point for overturning.

guitarguy56 05-16-2016 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by seabeau (Post 3490682)
Perhaps a device somewhat like a chain binder (semi-truck term)and hook? Or a short piece of lightweight playground chain attached to the ladder,with integral spring(like on an old fashoned screen door) with a small hook on its end and a receptacle for the hook attached to the small boat. The springs tension would ensure that regardless of the small boats relative weight it would remain attached and yet still have some give as not to provide a pivot point for overturning.

I just created this and it's a welded up section of stainless steel tubes of proper thickness similar to the drop down ladder. The smaller upright tubes would be clamped/bolted to the stern ladder and the kayak would be supported by the longer section.

I am currently devising a method to lower the kayak once boarded like a ratchet system. This way the kayak is stable boarding and getting back to the stern ladder.

seabeau 05-16-2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarguy56 (Post 3491105)
I just created this and it's a welded up section of stainless steel tubes of proper thickness similar to the drop down ladder. The smaller upright tubes would be clamped/bolted to the stern ladder and the kayak would be supported by the longer section.

I am currently devising a method to lower the kayak once boarded like a ratchet system. This way the kayak is stable boarding and getting back to the stern ladder.

Excellent, Idea. Simple, Subsequently,Should work.

pdqaltair 05-16-2016 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarguy56 (Post 3491105)

Two thumbs up!

swallace11 05-16-2016 06:07 PM

Take a look at the Sea Eagle 393 Razorlite. Pricy but fast, light, comfortable. Fits well inflated on deck of my Beneteau 235 and deflated down below.

guitarguy56 05-27-2016 11:41 PM

Well went fine with the new kayaks and boarding went well although demount took some finessing but overall it was a fun day. Now for some fishing and hoping this Memorial Day weekend is great for everyone especially our appreciation for our fallen servicemen.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/v...y/IMGP4604.jpg

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/v...y/IMGP4560.jpg

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/v...y/IMGP4593.jpg

Our little backyard sailing and now kayaking haven. :boat :

Faster 05-28-2016 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarguy56 (Post 3509202)
Well went fine with the new kayaks and boarding went well although demount took some finessing but overall it was a fun day. Now for some fishing and hoping this Memorial Day weekend is great for everyone especially our appreciation for our fallen servicemen.

Having trouble uploading photos... It is indicating 'not a valid .jpg/jpeg image file'?

Glad to hear it..

Suggest you try Photobucket for pictures.. way better then the thumbnail route..

seabeau 05-28-2016 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarguy56 (Post 3509202)

Having trouble uploading photos... It is indicating 'not a valid .jpg/jpeg image file'?

Great! Thanks for the update. Memorial Day should be a seriously introspective day for the entire nation, "Freedom, is not Free", it comes only with terrible sacrifice.