Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 Old 05-28-2016

Re: Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Glad to hear it..

Suggest you try Photobucket for pictures.. way better then the thumbnail route..
Thanks! I forgot I had one of those Photobucket accounts. Happy Memorial Day weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 05-28-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabeau View Post
Great! Thanks for the update. Memorial Day should be a seriously introspective day for the entire nation, "Freedom, is not Free", it comes only with terrible sacrifice.
You bet! Many people sometimes forget while having their bbq's, parties, etc... our servicemen who sacrificed for those freedoms we enjoy!
post #33 of 47 Old 05-30-2016

Tried the kayak thing. Even made stabilizers(out riggers with soda bottles), but the admiral didn't want it, and it would have been a problem getting visitors out to the mooring where the boat is. So we ended up buy a RID(rigid inflatable dinghy) Walker Bay 10. The Walker can also be rigged with a dagger board and a gaff rigged sail.
seabeau likes this.

post #34 of 47 Old 05-30-2016

Zarathu... Yes on the hook or moorings it isn't going to work very well if as you say you have guests needing to be taken out to the boat... we are on a home slip so this isn't a problem for us... it's just us two and hopefully this will work with the kayaks until something else comes along... Guests for us will have to bring their own RIB's or kayaks if we're ever on the hook!
post #35 of 47 Old 05-30-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
... Guests for us will have to bring their own RIB's or kayaks if we're ever on the hook!
I can see the invites now..... "..BYOD" - Please RSVP..
guitarguy56 and Zarathu like this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #36 of 47 Old 05-30-2016
it's a long story

Having tried different options I have settled on this one. It happens to be made by Sea Eagle but there are others. I went for the "Expedition" model and with the drop stitch floors (and on inflatable paddle boards now) you can stand up fairly well (leaning on the boat.) Mine holds the whole family (mom, dad and two kids), very stable, rolls up into manageable bundle, will track well with detachable skeg, can be paddled well into a headwind and will hold 850lbs. What other dinghy can do all that without a motor? The only drawback is that, though it is very tough, I don't yet feel ok about dragging it over barnacle and mussel encrusted rocks. Smooth beach rocks, no problem. Hmmm, photos not posting so here is a link:https://www.seaeagle.com/ExplorerKayaks/420X

Don
1962 Columbia 29 hull #37

Last edited by turboduck; 05-30-2016 at 02:58 PM. Reason: more info
post #37 of 47 Old 05-30-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboduck View Post
rolls up into manageable bundle....]
This is an inflatable, right? Glad yours works. I had one that came with the boat. It had all kinds of leaks on it that I could simply NOT find. I gave it away to someone who was better at finding leaks than me.
post #38 of 47 Old 05-30-2016
Boat Bum

I used a 12' Cobra Fish n Dive for 2 years on the west coast. That thing was a tank, it hauled gas, beer, water and fat Mexican chicks.
I'm on the east coast now and have a Pelican Strike 120.
Ive gotta be a little more careful about the weight of my paramours.

No wife, no kids, no debt.

Last edited by Faster; 05-30-2016 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Unnecessary fbomb
post #39 of 47 Old 05-31-2016

Been looking at the Oro line of folding kayaks for some time but have yet to pull the string. Expensive but told nearly indestructible, tract well, light and storable in our workroom.Wondering if anyone has real world experience of these on a sailboat. REI had them on sale.
Use would be kicks and giggles as well as transport when I'm by myself. Find the walker bay Genesis works well as the daily ride. On foredeck with transom folded down doesn't obstruct vision and stays put. On davits doesn't get stolen and can deploy by myself. Would think kayaks as sole dinghy must be difficult if anchoring out or in windy, choppy places. Sometimes need to pay attention even with hard bottom rib when there's chop.nervous about being seen at night even with a white light running. Would think they create another level of complexity moving about side decks or if getting green water. Those are main reasons have held off on purchase. Guess another benefit of multis is this wouldn't be less of a concern. Easier storage, no side deck issues, possibly easier on/off.
Always been intrigued by Portland Pudgies. Very stable. Rows well or runs with small electric. Sails, fishes, and serves as a raft. Small enough to fit on 28' boat. Once against held off due to expense but see them a lot on New England boats. Like the idea of no gasoline on the boat.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #40 of 47 Old 05-31-2016
it's a long story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
This is an inflatable, right? Glad yours works. I had one that came with the boat. It had all kinds of leaks on it that I could simply NOT find. I gave it away to someone who was better at finding leaks than me.
Yep inflatable. no leaks. I am happy with it. check link.
Zarathu likes this.

Don
1962 Columbia 29 hull #37

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in