SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/252081-kayak-dinghy-small-sailboat.html)

guitarguy56 05-31-2016 07:46 AM

Re: Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 3512058)
I can see the invites now..... "..BYOD" - Please RSVP.. ;)

LOL... Keeps the (un)invited off the boat for sure! ;)

Zarathu 05-31-2016 11:25 AM

Yeah...saw link. different manufacturer than mine was.

guitarguy56 06-01-2016 09:48 AM

The kayaks we ordered were out of stock and would take a month before we had them for use so the outlet gave us a super discount on the ones we have in the photo, they are Pelican Trailblazers as they are being discontinued for the Orion 100 models... same exact kayak but slight cockpit ergonomics... we didn't care so they offered them for $150 ea... the Perceptions were over $360 ea. so not a bad deal... the only difference between the Pelican Trailblazers vs Perception are the 'fishing' adaption so we're headed to Bass Pro to buy the adjustable rod holder and two built-in rod holders for each kayak and then it's an indistinguishable fishing kayak from the Perception model.

I will be cutting out the rear storage compartments to allow more storage along with other mods to hold and adjust a small anchor... add a small fish finder/inboard mounted transducer later as we use the kayaks more.

They are super stable boarding and not as I imagined... Wife was able to get in and out easily. Lean on the kayak before the point of no return was excellent so knowing where the tipping/rollover point is helpful in keeping everyone in the kayak and out of the water. Buying another kayak as two just won't do... need three or four but sailboat can only store two. ;(

Faster 06-01-2016 10:22 AM

Be sure to order the spray 'skirts' too.. and spend on the better, lighter weight paddles. Well worth the difference.

IIRC the pelicans have a very open cockpit well.. wearing skirts in choppy conditions will keep you dry, getting caught in some passing gas guzzler's wash can get you a lapful of water otherwise too.

As to opening the storage well, that may be another difficult 'sealing' in slop. Might be difficult to keep the gear dry in waves.

Glad to hear you're liking them so far!

guitarguy56 06-01-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 3515042)
Be sure to order the spray 'skirts' too.. and spend on the better, lighter weight paddles. Well worth the difference.

IIRC the pelicans have a very open cockpit well.. wearing skirts in choppy conditions will keep you dry, getting caught in some passing gas guzzler's wash can get you a lapful of water otherwise too.

As to opening the storage well, that may be another difficult 'sealing' in slop. Might be difficult to keep the gear dry in waves.

Glad to hear you're liking them so far!

We didn't order the spray skirts as we love getting wet and the reason for kayaking... but may consider if as you mention it will keep us dry in adverse conditions. Yes we are planning on adding a gasket or 'real hatch' to the rear which will seal it from water intrusion. I have also seen some mods that add a small bilge pump using a small 12v battery sealed from the elements. uses the water plug in the back to shoot the bilge water out... cool and functional.

We wound up getting these paddles in yellow:

Quest Chute Aluminum Kayak Paddle | Field & Stream

Excellent construction and hope they last us a long time... they also float too.

Faster 06-01-2016 10:42 AM

It's not just about 'getting wet'... it's about having a lot of water sloshing about that won't drain away too..

I like the yellow paddles.. ours have yellow blades which aids in your visibility, I think most kayak paddles will float when assembled, at least for a while, but not so much when in separate halves.

What colour are your boats? We have red and yellow - both quite visible, and find that blue and green kayaks are much harder to spot at a distance.. but often it's the paddles you see first anyway.

guitarguy56 06-01-2016 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 3515122)
It's not just about 'getting wet'... it's about having a lot of water sloshing about that won't drain away too..

I like the yellow paddles.. ours have yellow blades which aids in your visibility, I think most kayak paddles will float when assembled, at least for a while, but not so much when in separate halves.

What colour are your boats? We have red and yellow - both quite visible, and find that blue and green kayaks are much harder to spot at a distance.. but often it's the paddles you see first anyway.

Yeah... We had some powerboats send some whopping waves towards us and afraid the waves would flip us over but it didn't and didn't get the sloshing into the cockpit so all good there.

Yes we ordered the yellow paddles... I posted some photos of my son and wife on the kayaks in earlier posts (Pg. 3)... the kayaks are yellow deck with white hulls... very visible and I took some video of them while they were about 3/4 mile away and they were very bright especially with the yellow paddles.

This is of course this old man that turned '60' today! ;)