Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 47 Old 05-31-2016

Re: Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I can see the invites now..... "..BYOD" - Please RSVP..
LOL... Keeps the (un)invited off the boat for sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 Old 05-31-2016

Yeah...saw link. different manufacturer than mine was.
post #43 of 47 Old 06-01-2016

The kayaks we ordered were out of stock and would take a month before we had them for use so the outlet gave us a super discount on the ones we have in the photo, they are Pelican Trailblazers as they are being discontinued for the Orion 100 models... same exact kayak but slight cockpit ergonomics... we didn't care so they offered them for $150 ea... the Perceptions were over $360 ea. so not a bad deal... the only difference between the Pelican Trailblazers vs Perception are the 'fishing' adaption so we're headed to Bass Pro to buy the adjustable rod holder and two built-in rod holders for each kayak and then it's an indistinguishable fishing kayak from the Perception model.

I will be cutting out the rear storage compartments to allow more storage along with other mods to hold and adjust a small anchor... add a small fish finder/inboard mounted transducer later as we use the kayaks more.

They are super stable boarding and not as I imagined... Wife was able to get in and out easily. Lean on the kayak before the point of no return was excellent so knowing where the tipping/rollover point is helpful in keeping everyone in the kayak and out of the water. Buying another kayak as two just won't do... need three or four but sailboat can only store two. ;(
Faster likes this.

post #44 of 47 Old 06-01-2016

Be sure to order the spray 'skirts' too.. and spend on the better, lighter weight paddles. Well worth the difference.

IIRC the pelicans have a very open cockpit well.. wearing skirts in choppy conditions will keep you dry, getting caught in some passing gas guzzler's wash can get you a lapful of water otherwise too.

As to opening the storage well, that may be another difficult 'sealing' in slop. Might be difficult to keep the gear dry in waves.

Glad to hear you're liking them so far!
guitarguy56 likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #45 of 47 Old 06-01-2016

Quote:
Be sure to order the spray 'skirts' too.. and spend on the better, lighter weight paddles. Well worth the difference.

IIRC the pelicans have a very open cockpit well.. wearing skirts in choppy conditions will keep you dry, getting caught in some passing gas guzzler's wash can get you a lapful of water otherwise too.

As to opening the storage well, that may be another difficult 'sealing' in slop. Might be difficult to keep the gear dry in waves.

Glad to hear you're liking them so far!
We didn't order the spray skirts as we love getting wet and the reason for kayaking... but may consider if as you mention it will keep us dry in adverse conditions. Yes we are planning on adding a gasket or 'real hatch' to the rear which will seal it from water intrusion. I have also seen some mods that add a small bilge pump using a small 12v battery sealed from the elements. uses the water plug in the back to shoot the bilge water out... cool and functional.

We wound up getting these paddles in yellow:

Quest Chute Aluminum Kayak Paddle | Field & Stream

Excellent construction and hope they last us a long time... they also float too.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 06-01-2016 at 11:17 AM.
post #46 of 47 Old 06-01-2016

It's not just about 'getting wet'... it's about having a lot of water sloshing about that won't drain away too..

I like the yellow paddles.. ours have yellow blades which aids in your visibility, I think most kayak paddles will float when assembled, at least for a while, but not so much when in separate halves.

What colour are your boats? We have red and yellow - both quite visible, and find that blue and green kayaks are much harder to spot at a distance.. but often it's the paddles you see first anyway.
guitarguy56 likes this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #47 of 47 Old 06-01-2016

Quote:
It's not just about 'getting wet'... it's about having a lot of water sloshing about that won't drain away too..

I like the yellow paddles.. ours have yellow blades which aids in your visibility, I think most kayak paddles will float when assembled, at least for a while, but not so much when in separate halves.

What colour are your boats? We have red and yellow - both quite visible, and find that blue and green kayaks are much harder to spot at a distance.. but often it's the paddles you see first anyway.
Yeah... We had some powerboats send some whopping waves towards us and afraid the waves would flip us over but it didn't and didn't get the sloshing into the cockpit so all good there.

Yes we ordered the yellow paddles... I posted some photos of my son and wife on the kayaks in earlier posts (Pg. 3)... the kayaks are yellow deck with white hulls... very visible and I took some video of them while they were about 3/4 mile away and they were very bright especially with the yellow paddles.

This is of course this old man that turned '60' today!
Attached Thumbnails
Nick kayaking.jpg  
Faster likes this.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 06-01-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in