SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/252081-kayak-dinghy-small-sailboat.html)

cdy 05-11-2016 01:05 PM

Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat

My inflatable kayak after 12 years sprung a leak and looks to be dead, I had been using it to paddle out to my moored Cape Dory 25.
But now need to make some choices.
I have a new ( came with boat) 8 ft inflatable - you insert the floor boards - royal pain in the arse. Its a cheap chino brand but does have an almost new 2.5 Nissan 4 stroke outboard - it would work well but no way an I going to inflate it and put it together everytime I want to head out to boat. Buying a small trailer and keeping inflated at home might work - just will get a lot of blowback from the wife about keeping a trailer in the garage.

I would think a short sit on top kayak would be oK - might be a little unstable stepping from it into boat , could tow it or possibly keep on deck, anybody with experience out there with a kayak as a tender - what am I not thinking about?

rnixon 05-11-2016 01:43 PM

Re: Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdy (Post 3483225)
My inflatable kayak after 12 years sprung a leak and looks to be dead, I had been using it to paddle out to my moored Cape Dory 25.

How about the same again? If it was OK for your use for 12 years, why change? It sounds like a low hassle / cost solution.

Roger

cdy 05-11-2016 02:47 PM

It tracs terribly,ok for paddling 100 yards to the boat, it was a west marine model , want something a little more solid.
Only used it maybe 20 times in 12 years

Faster 05-11-2016 02:57 PM

We routinely use our 9.5 foot plastic kayaks from Perception. Their current version is the Conduit.. Conduit 9.5 | Perception

We've had ours for over a decade.. virtually indestructable, beach/rock/barnacle proof and we use them to run shore ties, runs to stores and marinas for small 'orders', and for recreational explorations. Getting in and out alongside takes some practice, and some reasonable upper body strength and good balance combined with a reasonably deep ladder make things much easier.

They stow nicely on deck, are friendly to fiberglass (no scrapes/scratches on the mothership) and are light weight (I can carry two of them at once if need be) They don't tow reliably, they track OK but occasionally catch a wave badly and flip over (very slow!)

I think you could find a way to carry one of these even on a CD 25

btw the improvement in paddling (and reward for effort) over the inflatable will astound you!

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...stripes054.jpg

eherlihy 05-11-2016 02:58 PM

I hear you on the PITA of inserting and removing the floor of the RIB. During the summer months I keep my RIB with the tubes deflated, but the floor in place, in the back of my pickup truck under the tonno cover.

When I need to move stuff in the bed of the truck, I can usually place it in the dinghy - in the bed. It works like a champ!

NO WAY would I disassemble the dinghy every time that I needed to use it.

FWIW; I have a West Marine SB-275, and a Toyota Tacoma long bed.

Minnesail 05-11-2016 03:52 PM

A guy at my lake has a little snap-together kayak that works well for him.

I'm not sure if this is it, but it's similar:
Snap OnTop Solo Kayak

They two pieces fit in the back of his car and he can easily carry it to the water himself. Then I think he takes it apart and stows it in the cabin, I'm not sure. It's small and looks a little silly, but it seems to work.

DonScribner 05-11-2016 08:02 PM

We had an inflatable that was cheap, sunbaked and unsafe. So I bought a little 8 foot FG dinghy from the brother of a friend. A couple years ago I picked up a Walker Bay hard dingyy. Essentially it a big Tupperware bowl. I love it. Tracks ok, takes the two of us fine but most of all its only 75 pounds.

krisscross 05-11-2016 09:19 PM

I use a 2 person sit inside kayak as a dinghy. I can load a LOT of supplies in it and still be safe and paddle quickly. I tow it behind the boat when sailing, with a tight cockpit cover in case it flips over.

capta 05-12-2016 12:41 AM

Can't you just carry the inflatable, fully inflated, on your vehicle's roof with some racks? When you get home stand it up against a garage wall.

sailordanny 05-12-2016 02:24 AM

I use an inflatable kayak from the beach to the mooring buoy. Works good. Like Faster says needs some balance getting from it to boat.