Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 05-11-2016 Thread Starter
cdy

Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat

My inflatable kayak after 12 years sprung a leak and looks to be dead, I had been using it to paddle out to my moored Cape Dory 25.
But now need to make some choices.
I have a new ( came with boat) 8 ft inflatable - you insert the floor boards - royal pain in the arse. Its a cheap chino brand but does have an almost new 2.5 Nissan 4 stroke outboard - it would work well but no way an I going to inflate it and put it together everytime I want to head out to boat. Buying a small trailer and keeping inflated at home might work - just will get a lot of blowback from the wife about keeping a trailer in the garage.

I would think a short sit on top kayak would be oK - might be a little unstable stepping from it into boat , could tow it or possibly keep on deck, anybody with experience out there with a kayak as a tender - what am I not thinking about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 05-11-2016

Re: Kayak as a dinghy for small sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
My inflatable kayak after 12 years sprung a leak and looks to be dead, I had been using it to paddle out to my moored Cape Dory 25.
How about the same again? If it was OK for your use for 12 years, why change? It sounds like a low hassle / cost solution.

Roger
post #3 of 47 Old 05-11-2016 Thread Starter
cdy

It tracs terribly,ok for paddling 100 yards to the boat, it was a west marine model , want something a little more solid.
Only used it maybe 20 times in 12 years

post #4 of 47 Old 05-11-2016

We routinely use our 9.5 foot plastic kayaks from Perception. Their current version is the Conduit.. Conduit 9.5 | Perception

We've had ours for over a decade.. virtually indestructable, beach/rock/barnacle proof and we use them to run shore ties, runs to stores and marinas for small 'orders', and for recreational explorations. Getting in and out alongside takes some practice, and some reasonable upper body strength and good balance combined with a reasonably deep ladder make things much easier.

They stow nicely on deck, are friendly to fiberglass (no scrapes/scratches on the mothership) and are light weight (I can carry two of them at once if need be) They don't tow reliably, they track OK but occasionally catch a wave badly and flip over (very slow!)

I think you could find a way to carry one of these even on a CD 25

btw the improvement in paddling (and reward for effort) over the inflatable will astound you!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #5 of 47 Old 05-11-2016
Learning the HARD way...

I hear you on the PITA of inserting and removing the floor of the RIB. During the summer months I keep my RIB with the tubes deflated, but the floor in place, in the back of my pickup truck under the tonno cover.

When I need to move stuff in the bed of the truck, I can usually place it in the dinghy - in the bed. It works like a champ!

NO WAY would I disassemble the dinghy every time that I needed to use it.

FWIW; I have a West Marine SB-275, and a Toyota Tacoma long bed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 47 Old 05-11-2016

A guy at my lake has a little snap-together kayak that works well for him.

I'm not sure if this is it, but it's similar:
Snap OnTop Solo Kayak

They two pieces fit in the back of his car and he can easily carry it to the water himself. Then I think he takes it apart and stows it in the cabin, I'm not sure. It's small and looks a little silly, but it seems to work.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #7 of 47 Old 05-11-2016

We had an inflatable that was cheap, sunbaked and unsafe. So I bought a little 8 foot FG dinghy from the brother of a friend. A couple years ago I picked up a Walker Bay hard dingyy. Essentially it a big Tupperware bowl. I love it. Tracks ok, takes the two of us fine but most of all its only 75 pounds.
seabeau likes this.
post #8 of 47 Old 05-11-2016

I use a 2 person sit inside kayak as a dinghy. I can load a LOT of supplies in it and still be safe and paddle quickly. I tow it behind the boat when sailing, with a tight cockpit cover in case it flips over.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #9 of 47 Old 05-12-2016
Master Mariner

Can't you just carry the inflatable, fully inflated, on your vehicle's roof with some racks? When you get home stand it up against a garage wall.
paulk likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #10 of 47 Old 05-12-2016

Dock

I use an inflatable kayak from the beach to the mooring buoy. Works good. Like Faster says needs some balance getting from it to boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in