Very nice Pete. What's your setup?
I'm using a DJI Phantom 3...

Pete

Halcyon Yachts - International Yacht Delivery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 96 Old 05-16-2016

Re: Filming yachts with a drone

I’m not sure I get all the bluster about drones invading your airspace: all the “Shoot ‘em down!” BS.

All of us love to see images of our boats in all their glory. Whether these images are taken by photographers on-shore, from other boats, or aerial shots from drones or manned aircraft we love them all.

There used to be a guy (maybe he’s still around) who used to fly over popular anchorages and sailing areas, photographing boats. He would find out which boat was which and contact the owner to sell them the photos. I never heard of anyone expressing any concern over ‘invasion of privacy’. In fact many people bought the pics.

A few years ago I was talking to a dock neighbor about being out in a bit of snot. He said, “Was that you? I’ve got a video clip of you.” Rather than being upset, or concerned about ‘stalking’ or ‘creeping’ I was pretty chuffed and happy to see the footage.

On the other hand, drones hovering around boats at anchor, apparently peering into areas which should be private, I find unacceptable. Not least because of the irritating ‘droning’ noise they make.

There was one guy flying a remote-controlled amphibious plane at one anchorage. It looked really cool and was probably lots of fun for the pilot. After about two minutes the cool-factor was replaced by the STFU-factor.
smackdaddy likes this.

1989 Hunter 30'
Southern Georgian Bay

Visualize the vastness of the oceans; the infinity of the heavens; the fickleness of the wind; the artistry of the craft and the frailty of the sailor. The oneness that may be achieved through the harmony of these things may lead one to enlightenment. - Flying Welshman
post #13 of 96 Old 05-16-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon1 View Post
I'm using a DJI Phantom 3...

Pete
With what camera? 4K? Your imagery looks great.
The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
Halcyon1 (05-16-2016)

post #14 of 96 Old 05-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morild View Post
I don't know about this... I get that it is fun for the "pilot", but I have to say that I do not like the idea of strangers filming into my cockpit when I sail. To me, it's an invasion of privacy.
What do others think?
Since I sail a character boat, it's a fact of life for me. I remember once in my earlier Bristol 26 (a NON-character boat!), we were hove to, eating lunch, and got circled by a big Hatteras with a guy on the fly bridge armed with heavy-duty telephoto lenses.

I don't know what he thought of two suspicious sailors hunched under a luffing jib, but I guess it floated his boat...

Let me know if you're running that drone in the Chesapeake.
Halcyon1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Sanderling" 32' Sharpie Ketch
post #15 of 96 Old 05-16-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
With what camera? 4K? Your imagery looks great.
Yes, it's a 4K camera, but I don't have it on the highest resolution setting - youtube downgrades it all anyway...

Pete

Halcyon Yachts - International Yacht Delivery
post #16 of 96 Old 05-16-2016

Nice work! The right music makes all the difference.

Sailing on the water is a beautiful world. Photographers have been capturing it since film was created. Drone photography and videography is a fascinating new media. To put the photographers eye up in the sky - without getting in a plane or copter - is a beautiful way to see the world. And the low altitude capability is a whole new angle on aerial photography.

Our local Maine Media College and Workshops has a drone program. The drone class is booked for this season.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #17 of 96 Old 05-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
I’m not sure I get all the bluster about drones invading your airspace: all the “Shoot ‘em down!” BS...
People like to feel like they have control even when they are fully aware they do not.
I wait for the day when someone actually does discharge a firearm at one of these dornes and the lawsuit the arises as a result- It'll make for entertaining media. With respect to "air rights," in land real estate, on average (at least in the US) you only directly own in average of 500' above your property. Not privy to at sea rules, but I imagine it's similar if not less.
Fire at your own risk...

Last edited by RooDog; 05-16-2016 at 01:19 PM.
post #18 of 96 Old 05-16-2016

While I don't think it is uniquely American to want to shoot a gun at everything you don't approve of, I do think we 'Mericans are more accepting of the guy in the room who always rants about his privacy then devolves into a "PC is stupid, the world is going to hell" diatribe without a hint of irony. Anyway, this has been discussed at length in past threads and I think that most people appreciate the pictures and some even pay for them. I lost a DJI Phantom I in the drink, so I know how nerve wracking it is to fly over water.
Where were these aerials shot? Looks like New England? Really nice- If I had one criticism it would be that there should be more low angle shots edited in between the overhead stuff to break it up a bit. Plus, it never hurts to see the make/model of boats a little better (unless it is captained by the likes of Jim_W!).
Sailbad and RooDog like this.

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR
post #19 of 96 Old 05-16-2016

I'm with you. I'm here because I want to talk sailing.

The footage was shot in the Solent straight in Southern England. Amazing tales of sailing originate from there.
Sailbad likes this.
post #20 of 96 Old 05-16-2016

Some of the most incredible videos I've seen during the past few months have all been shot with drones, many of which were equipped with Go-Pro cameras. I was absolutely amazed at the fantastic quality, and the wonderful things I could see from a bird's eye view that could never been seen from the ground.

Cheers,

Gary
Halcyon1, Sailbad and RooDog like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in