Boat odor - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 40 Old 05-22-2016

Re: Boat odor

All great ideas... I personally keep the bilge as dry as it can be. I go into the cavities between the liner and hull and dry up any water from condensation that accumulates there. I wipe down with vinegar/chlorox diluted mix on the surfaces in the bilge, I buy the largest box of clothes dryer freshener pads and place them on the inside backs of all cushions, place them in areas like cabinets, etc. I leave all the cabinet doors open during the time we're not in the sailboat. We keep dehumidifier jars in every compartment and always keep our large box fan 24/7 running to keep air moving and out of the cabin.

Even so we still have a slight smell of diesel when we first go into the boat but after couple of minutes the smell is gone and all that's left are the smells of the fresheners/candles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 Old 05-22-2016

Won't solve the cause of odor but may help to mask the residual ,'urinal pucks' I prefer the flavoured ones but standards are available at the local bus station.
post #13 of 40 Old 05-22-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

biodegradable must also mean something else in usa.
google calibri jardin de rosas and then tell me i am poisoning your waterways. i think you will be apologizing.
if boat smells even slightly of diesel you have a leak . i repair those before my engine loses prime or my bilge fills too full of diesel. removes odor immediately. surprisingly effective.
odors are symptoms of what needs to be addressed so as to remove said odors. funny how that works.
never add anything to boat that will screw up your pump innards.
my bilges were designed to be wet, and it will be loong time before modification is made. it wont kill me.
yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 05-22-2016 at 12:56 PM.

post #14 of 40 Old 05-22-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Hygiene - an occasional cleaning/soaking with mildly caustic detergents will remedy and control the problem instead of using compounds that only temporarily 'mask' and 'perfume' the underlying problem.
I've tried many bilge cleaners, some with tremendous results. I personally like TufEnuf bilge cleaner. However, they all emulsify and have been gunking up the hinge in a float switch. I have no objection to occasional bilge cleaning, I do it routinely. Most cleaners also foam, making it harder to vacuum out or for the bilge to work properly.

In the end, my problem is not a dirty bilge. It's mast ingress water that sits and grows stuff, while stagnant. The tablets are not masking the issue, the are disinfectant tablets that prevent the smelly bacteria from growing. No perfume at all.

So far so good.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 40 Old 05-22-2016
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy56 View Post
Even so we still have a slight smell of diesel when we first go into the boat but after couple of minutes the smell is gone and all that's left are the smells of the fresheners/candles.
It's still there it's just that when you have been in an odor a couple of minutes you stop smelling it.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #16 of 40 Old 05-22-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
It's still there it's just that when you have been in an odor a couple of minutes you stop smelling it.
We have cleaned the cockpit lazarette area where the main tank is, checked the hoses and no leaks anywhere or permeating through the hoses, I do have a 6 six gallon portable tank which we use for emergency and feel this may be where the smell is coming from. The engine compartment does not have any smell outside the smell when the engine is running (should there be?).
post #17 of 40 Old 05-23-2016

my keel stepped masts donot provide waterways to keel, as i have nicely bedded mast boots in place. waterproof. functional. not even ugly. easily removable and replaceable for servicing mast.
if your mast has a groove in it, we found respite from mast wetness in a storm (opb) by use of caulk in the groove to prevent the running river from being. it worked.
oh, btw--mine are not premade mast boots, but made by me ones, as this is more effective and cheaper than the ones sold in chandleries.

post #18 of 40 Old 05-23-2016 Thread Starter

We have a keel stepped in-mast furler, so it's essentially impossible to keep rain water out of the 1"x70ft slot that runs the length of it. In theory, I could block it off near the bottom and drill a drain hole out the side. This would still need to be done near the base, as interior wiring and lines are running from the deck and up. I'm considering it.

Here's my idea. Drill a hole about 1" up from the base. Inject slow cure epoxy until the bottom is full and begins to pour out the hole. This should seal the bottom of the mast and provide a path of least resistance for water. I could also put a fitting and hose and direct that water to the sump.

One concern is mast step strength, with a new hole that close to the base. The other is epoxy leaking out the bottom and gluing the mast to the step.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #19 of 40 Old 05-23-2016
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
oh, btw--mine are not premade mast boots, but made by me ones, as this is more effective and cheaper than the ones sold in chandleries.
What did you make yours out of? I Think I remember someone using roof flashing or some other sort of other material.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #20 of 40 Old 05-23-2016

mine are a ,kind of sunbrella rubberized looking tropical water on deck prevention material. works great now for 4 years. love it. will get more of that stuff... and a sewing machine, as my sails donot want to live much longer, the bastids.
mebbe i will make a visor out of it for weathery days......
oh yeah... i will receive any and all old sails y´all wanna ditch whenye replace your soon to be blown out beauties. thankyou in advance.....

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in