Boat odor - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 Old 06-27-2016
bell ringer

Re: Boat odor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Maybe that's not where you odor is coming from.

Mine does not smell, unless I leave this ingress water for any length of time.
I just spent the last 13 years in chemical water treatment and was willing to give it a chance. But to be honest I think they are being pretty "loose" in using the term "non-corrosive". I think the pellets are fine for putting in trays and pans like for an air conditioner, but just too questionable for putting in your bilge if you have keel bolts in it.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 06-27-2016

Dock

On a different note... My boat doesnt smell as described, but i do like a nice air freshener. I bought a couple of scented candles in little glass jars. I think u are meant to light them, but unlit they let off just a tiny amount of aroma. My boat currently smells like Hawaii.

Cheap, at the supermarket.
eherlihy and chef2sail like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #33 of 40 Old 06-29-2016

I'm a fan of cowl vents and dorade boxes. Our old boat has 3, 4" forward facing(located forward of the mast) and 2 aft facing(galley to lazerette).

We leave a large engine access door open that also ventilates the deep bilge.

As we're swinging on a mooring, tons of fresh air pours through the length of the boat interior(head - chain locker) - through the engine room and cockpit lockers - 24/7.

It smells fresh when we slide open the companionway hatch and our deep bilge always has some water in it(all that gets is occasional rinse of fresh water and pumped).

post #34 of 40 Old 06-29-2016

Minnie- how are you moored? Like you have keel stepped mast. Unlike you have traditional slab reefing with Dutchman. Still in a squall get some bilge water. Also some from condensation. Most from AC unit. However if on a mooring or sailing it's truly trivial. It's relevant only when stern to prevailing winds in a slip.believe we get much less as we have a much smaller hole.

Now if in slip will go bow to prevailing winds regardless if this mean coming in bow or stern first. Problem solved.

Also changed out my lower bilge pump to one that runs for 15sec after float switch turns off. Decreases back flow without a check valve. Much dryer bilge.

Our AC unit drains into the bilge. Believe this is fresh water as it's condensate. Agree AC units can cause all types of diseases such as legionaries but doubt it as source of bilge smell beyond keeping bilge wet.

Lastly strongly agree with Rich. We smell. We shed hair, skin, oil, and dirt. We rapidly habituate to smells. We are the worse judge if our boats smell after we've been on them for a very few minutes. A wipe down of all surfaces with weak vinegar/water solution and one ( yes just one) drop of dawn keeps the boat smell free. Best purchase we made was a very small but powerful hand held plug in vacuum. The battery ones just don't cut it. Vacuum everything then wipe safe surfaces, a bit of chlorox followed by immediate water flush down the drains= no smell.

Do bilge cleaner once a year. Stuff's nasty. But leave oil absorber in there always.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #35 of 40 Old 06-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloof View Post
Probably not be a good idea if there are stainless steel keel bolts in the bilge. The MSDS for these products seem to indicate that the active ingredient is a chloride. Reactive chlorides are a principal cause of crevice crack corrosion in stainless steels. Sorry.

All of the products are quaternary amines, like benzalonium chloride, and are non-corrosive and do not contain reactive chlorine in the sense we are concerned about. These are closely related to the algae control chemicals used in pools and anti-bacterial soaps.

On the other hand, I've tested BAC and not found it to be very effective on this sort of odor. But this could be different.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #36 of 40 Old 06-29-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Minnie- how are you moored?
Good question. We are at a slip, with the aft furling slot of the mast facing the prevailings. However, I'm not sure the big rains really come with prevailings. I will have to think this one over.

Quote:
Also changed out my lower bilge pump to one that runs for 15sec after float switch turns off. Decreases back flow without a check valve. Much dryer bilge.
We have a small lower sump in the bilge with a diaphragm convenience pump. There is always about a pint of water in the 8"x8" section of bilge, but it turns over frequently, since all condensation is hosed directly to this sump and I do scrub it out occasionally. I do not believe this is a source of odor.

Quote:
Our AC unit drains into the bilge. Believe this is fresh water as it's condensate. Agree AC units can cause all types of diseases such as legionaries but doubt it as source of bilge smell beyond keeping bilge wet.
I agree, and this isn't the stagnant source of water for us either.

Quote:
Lastly strongly agree with Rich. We smell. We shed hair, skin, oil, and dirt. We rapidly habituate to smells. We are the worse judge if our boats smell after we've been on them for a very few minutes. A wipe down of all surfaces with weak vinegar/water solution and one ( yes just one) drop of dawn keeps the boat smell free.
Totally understand and agree with this point. We clean surfaces pretty well, I believe.

I'm convinced the odor is from two specific sources. I believe I mentioned the odor is slight and occasional.

First is mast water that finds its way to corners, where it either lies beneath the lip of a limber hole or collects at the intersection of a rib/stringer. These places can be below tankage or other obstructions, where it's very difficult to vacuum out or keep clean of dust, etc.

The second is the cup or more of sea water that enters each time I remove or replace the speed wheel. It's an awkward spot, which is difficult to dam up, so I can keep the ingress water in one spot. One of these days, I will have to disassemble all the furniture/cabinetry in the area to dam it. It disappears under the sole and not until we go out sailing/heeling, does much of it finds its way to a place that I can clean it out.

When either of these two sources of water collect and stand for any length of time, I can shine a light on them and see the mold on the surface. Odor. These tablets seem to be preventing the mold from forming.

Quote:
Best purchase we made was a very small but powerful hand held plug in vacuum. The battery ones just don't cut it. Vacuum everything then wipe safe surfaces, a bit of chlorox followed by immediate water flush down the drains= no smell.
I think we have the best of both worlds. I bought a Dewalt wet/dry vac that can both be plugged into 110v, as well as run on 18v batt. We almost always plug it in. I use it to vac water I can reach.

[quite]Do bilge cleaner once a year. Stuff's nasty....[/QUOTE]

Me too, sometimes twice. I've liked TufEnuf bilge cleaner. It's also an enzyme and it seems to foam less, when I vac/pump it back out. Some bilge cleaners foam like a washing machine, which is nasty.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #37 of 40 Old 06-29-2016

Worst.
Fragrance.
Name.
Ever.
Minnesail likes this.
post #38 of 40 Old 06-29-2016

Last thought. We .have four bilge pumps. Electric high/low and whale from inside the boat and another in cockpit. Like you use tuufenuff but make sure to pump it through all four pumps. The hoses sit empty. The bilge end is open. Maybe that's a contributor?

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #39 of 40 Old 06-29-2016 Thread Starter

Zero water ingress = zero odor. Eg. when we are on the hard, with the mast pulled and deck hole covered, this is a non-issue. Bone dry.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #40 of 40 Old 08-24-2016 Thread Starter

Two month update.....................

I'm pretty convinced these are working. Along the way, I decided to stop using them for a couple of weeks and let the ingress mast water sit for 4 or 5 days. The slight odor returned, right on schedule. More noticeably, when opening bilge hatches. So I vacuumed it out and put the tablets back. Next storm, more water down the mast.

By this time in August, it would take a couple of days for unattended bilge water to grow mold. I was coincidentally a$$ over elbows in the bilge, doing some work, and found one of the hiding places that water likes to collect. First, I noticed the water (which had to have been there at least a week) looks perfectly clear. Old stagnant bilge water usually looks gross. Then it occurred to me that, while my head was deep in the bilge, there was no odor. The bilge itself always had a trace, even when dry.

I'm slightly concerned over the references to corrosion in the posts above, although, the product clearly states it's non-corrosive. None of my water collection points are in contact with metal anyway.

I'm a fan and ordering another bottle. I put these around in several places and have gone through the bottle already. It's about a $5 per month habit.
eherlihy likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (08-24-2016)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in