Thoughts On The Sailing Forums - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 56 Old 05-22-2016

Dock
Re: Thoughts On The Sailing Forums

I've never been on a sailing forum in my life.

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
sneuman (05-22-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 56 Old 05-22-2016
Banned

I think participation in forums comes down to five things that create the arc of that participation:

1. Interest
2. Need
3. Enjoyment
4. Level of Knowledge/Experience
5. Level of Self-Importance

When the mix leans too heavily toward 5, usually due to 4, people leave the forums - because it kills 1-3.
post #13 of 56 Old 05-22-2016

Like any community, after a little time spent, you can figure out who to listen too and who to ignore. Yea, it's a little more difficult because of the identity of the actual participant is opaque on a forum, but you can still figure it out. You can even figure out where the advice is coming from. A world cruiser, a coastal cruiser, a day sailor, a newbie, someone looking to cause controversy...whatever. And take it in context, learn, try to help, to entertain, or enjoy the conversation.

And after all, how serious is the whole business? Really, this is about sailing, not world peace. If you're not having fun, why do it? That goes for posting on a forum, and every time you raise a sail.

Yea, and to quote my favorite actress from that deeply intellectual movie (Miss Congeniality), "I really do want world peace."

post #14 of 56 Old 05-22-2016

Talkers vs. Doers

Let's see, first, the OP was a talker, then, became a doer. Isn't that a normal progression? First, comes an interest, then one becomes a talker as "stupid" questions are asked and discussed. But are the questions really stupid...if you don't know, you don't know? Perhaps many of the questions reveal that the questioner is a bit lazy by not researching the web and books a bit before asking the questions. The process on the forums allows people to advance (and participate) as they desire. Some lose interest and leave, some will learn and progress to being doers, some just settle in and are satisfied being talkers. For those doers, there are many levels of doers. There are around the world, lifetime voyagers, there are occasional voyagers, there are charterers, there are racers, there are day sailors, there are liveaboards, and there are even those who are content in spending time in port at the dock on their dock queen. And each is, in his/her own way, a successful doer. The way you have chosen to be a doer is but one way, not even necessarily the best way when many other aspects of one's life are considered. So don't be smug...if you have learned a thing or two, share it with those who are coming along. And never, ever put down others because of their experience level (or their choice of vessel they can or can not afford). But then, talkers are not the only ones who occasionally lose interest. Some doers also lose interest in participating and sharing. And the nice thing about the forums is that they accommodate all of the above outcomes.
post #15 of 56 Old 05-22-2016

As I've delved into sailing forums with getting a new boat a year and a half ago now, I'm kind of surprised and a little bit dismayed that there are as many different forums as there are. I view the world of people who sail as a pretty small one and it doesn't seem like it needs to be fragmented into as many forums as exist.

I realize that forums develop their own "flavor" based on the personality types of those who post the most, and people gravitate towards those forums whose flavor and character they feel most comfortable with.

It just seems to me that the whole world of sailing is small enough to be encompassed by a universal "alt.sailing/rec.sailing" type forum with subforums for cruising, racing, liveaboard, maintenance/gear, and subforums for various countries and boat manufacturers. The existence of a "universal" sailing forum with all appropriate subcategories to me would make searching for information more efficient, and people could retire to various other forums like this to chat with compatible personalities.

I suppose google searches do well enough in dredging up information on a particular topic, but it is a bit vexing to find bits and pieces of it here, on Sailing Anarchy, the cruisers forum, various google groups, etc.
post #16 of 56 Old 05-22-2016
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeterrier View Post
I realize that forums develop their own "flavor" based on the personality types of those who post the most, and people gravitate towards those forums whose flavor and character they feel most comfortable with.
The "flavor" of a particular forum is largely determined by the moderation policies of that forum. I, for one, would be dismayed if there weren't a great variety of forums and moderation styles. How uninteresting it would be if every forum (or just the one forum that existed, in your perfect world) were as politically correct and neatly scrubbed as some are.
JimMcGee likes this.
post #17 of 56 Old 05-22-2016

I just read his dribble on blog because why? oh, so he can get another 02 from an advertiser.....

Yep, forums come and go having murderated on two others for over 10 years. no matter my style or lack of muderating, things change, based on the wind, temperature, not controlling certain trolls etc.......

SA is what it is, more or less uncontrolled. yet controlled. Sailnet not bad. CF, well, never been there, but if it is like some say, will not be going there anytime soon. AS, came and went. I know of a number of forums for certain makes. Some of the same questions. but more related to a certain boat model. Yes, one gets the more full timers, vs part times, and weekend racer warrior types too. ALL have knowledge. All good, some better for how you use the boat than others. If you race, a full timers attitude on anchor, chain and rode is not a good thing. TOO HEAVY, slows you down. Yet a race anchor will not hold in a hurricane. A race anchor only has to hold you if the wind dies, you can not per race rules use motor, so you use it to stop you from going ashore from a current. Wait for the wind to come back up, and sail off, no use of motor. A 6lb anchor does fine ona 30foot boat. Would need a 30-45 lb anchor in a hurricane. Neither answer is right or wrong, just one is better in the how you are using the boat! hence issues with forums. Neither side will concede to the other.

Marty
eherlihy likes this.

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #18 of 56 Old 05-22-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I just read his dribble on blog because why? oh, so he can get another 02 from an advertiser.....

Yep, forums come and go having murderated on two others for over 10 years. no matter my style or lack of muderating, things change, based on the wind, temperature, not controlling certain trolls etc.......

SA is what it is, more or less uncontrolled. yet controlled. Sailnet not bad. CF, well, never been there, but if it is like some say, will not be going there anytime soon. AS, came and went. I know of a number of forums for certain makes. Some of the same questions. but more related to a certain boat model. Yes, one gets the more full timers, vs part times, and weekend racer warrior types too. ALL have knowledge. All good, some better for how you use the boat than others. If you race, a full timers attitude on anchor, chain and rode is not a good thing. TOO HEAVY, slows you down. Yet a race anchor will not hold in a hurricane. A race anchor only has to hold you if the wind dies, you can not per race rules use motor, so you use it to stop you from going ashore from a current. Wait for the wind to come back up, and sail off, no use of motor. A 6lb anchor does fine ona 30foot boat. Would need a 30-45 lb anchor in a hurricane. Neither answer is right or wrong, just one is better in the how you are using the boat! hence issues with forums. Neither side will concede to the other.

Marty
I believe the word you're looking for is "drivel." But, hey ...
and for the record, I have no advertising and therefore no revenue coming from clicks on the site,

Last edited by sneuman; 05-22-2016 at 01:55 PM.
post #19 of 56 Old 05-22-2016

Sure there are a lot of stupid threads on forums, but there is also access to a wealth of knowledge you will never be able to access any where else.

Want to ask Bob Perry a question? Post it on the right forum and you will get a responce for free from him normally the same day.

Have a question about A-Class Catamaran boom strength? Good luck finding it in a book, but ask on the A-Cat forum and you will have a responce from Ben Hall (ala Hall Spar fame) later that day.

The same goes for all sorts of questions from the highly technical to the simply curious. Forums add to the democratization of information, and make getting answers to questions relatively easy, and from very good sources. Sure you also have a few topics that quickly devolve into stupid (or start there) but I simply skip those threads and never have to worry about them (guns, climate change, guns).

For a sport that is as technical and small as sailing I think forums are in many ways an amazing way to spread knowledge. Wether it's basic engineering understanding of boat design, to new products, to new techniques it's all there for public consumption at the drop of the hat.

Estar's soft shackle testing for instance lead to substantial increases in soft shackle design in a matter of months, all driven by forum posts and public comment. Without the public discussion it would have taken far longer to get to where we are, then that knowledge would have been concentrated in just a few people's hands.

Greg
post #20 of 56 Old 05-22-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Sure there are a lot of stupid threads on forums, but there is also access to a wealth of knowledge you will never be able to access any where else.

Want to ask Bob Perry a question? Post it on the right forum and you will get a responce for free from him normally the same day.

Have a question about A-Class Catamaran boom strength? Good luck finding it in a book, but ask on the A-Cat forum and you will have a responce from Ben Hall (ala Hall Spar fame) later that day.

The same goes for all sorts of questions from the highly technical to the simply curious. Forums add to the democratization of information, and make getting answers to questions relatively easy, and from very good sources. Sure you also have a few topics that quickly devolve into stupid (or start there) but I simply skip those threads and never have to worry about them (guns, climate change, guns).

For a sport that is as technical and small as sailing I think forums are in many ways an amazing way to spread knowledge. Wether it's basic engineering understanding of boat design, to new products, to new techniques it's all there for public consumption at the drop of the hat.

Estar's soft shackle testing for instance lead to substantial increases in soft shackle design in a matter of months, all driven by forum posts and public comment. Without the public discussion it would have taken far longer to get to where we are, then that knowledge would have been concentrated in just a few people's hands.
All true. Perhaps I didn't make that clear enough. There is valuable information here (and at Cruisersforum). My thinking is that the best information, however, is often missing. That's because in at least the sense of cruising, the doing replaces the talking, meaning the people with the most experience are not always (or often) the ones participating in the forums.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in