Thoughts On The Sailing Forums - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 56 Old 05-22-2016
bell ringer

Re: Thoughts On The Sailing Forums

I have come to believe that forums are really just time wasters (that's my main use for them). Yes you can ask a real questions and then try to sort the various expert answers, but you could have just searched the web for the same.

BTW - This thread didn't get me to visit a blog. That's beyond my time wasting abilities.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Don0190; 05-23-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 Old 05-22-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
All true. Perhaps I didn't make that clear enough. There is valuable information here (and at Cruisersforum). My thinking is that the best information, however, is often missing. That's because in at least the sense of cruising, the doing replaces the talking, meaning the people with the most experience are not always (or often) the ones participating in the forums.
There may be people with more knowledge or background, or experience, but it's a pretty rarified field.

Ben Hall - spars and rigging
Steve Dashew - all things cruising
Peter Johnson - owned Gunboat Catamarans
Brion Toss - master rigger
Bob Perry - Yacht Designer

All five of those are or have been active on one forum or another. I could add more names, but name the five people in the world in their specialty that you would trust more than their answers? The wealth of knowledge combined on many sailing forums is incredible, not to mention the vast treasure trove of knowledge contained by the 'average' member.

Sure sometimes you get conflicting information, sometimes there is a lot of old wives tales that are just part of the lexicon, but there is a lot more good information.
SailingUphill and smackdaddy like this.

Greg
post #23 of 56 Old 05-22-2016

zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....hoorumph,...wha?.....zzzzzzzzzzz zzzzz.....

post #24 of 56 Old 05-22-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....hoorumph,...wha?.....zzzzzzzzzzz zzzzz.....
Oh oh oh oh ohhhhhh!

Got it, this is a IGNORE thread! ah master Denby will be so proud!

Ignoring.

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #25 of 56 Old 05-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
when i began this life on board in 1990, there were a few books, not many, and there were well meaning neighbors who picked and chose to whom they would allow info to be distributed in person.
there was not yet a magical whiners club.
stuff got DONE.
then there got to be interwebzz, and forums/fora erupted to share info among folks with like minded hobbies and ideas. we could actually share ideas and innovations and modifications.
now it is a new place-no more like minded folks doing, but many with only envy and dreams with little to say and much to bash.
in with the bashing there may be a tad bit of info usable to those actually doing the deeds bespoken in the writings.
which is better--ease of access to info and bullying or lack thereof---gotta admit the conflicts can be entertaining, but there is always a victim of the interweb bullying. and dumb questions which win darwin awards. \
let the games begin
Zee, you never fail to hit the nail squarely on the head....and always in the most entertaining way.
post #26 of 56 Old 05-23-2016

Liked your blog, but would have paid homage to some of the brilliant humor some of these threads (novice blue boat, production vs blue boat, fin vs full keel) elicite. One doesn't truly laugh out loud very often these days, yet some posts here are truly LOL pieces. Laughable for multiple reasons.
Also, it is unfortunate that experienced sailors tend to leave sailnet when they retire from sailing, and some highly opinionated sailors get pushed away after one too many of a blog fight.
When it gets too tedious, go sailing. Then come back for more.
zeehag likes this.
post #27 of 56 Old 05-23-2016
Old as Dirt!

I have been participating/subscribing to various "fora" for about 10 years and one thing I have noticed on all is that the BS coefficient seems to increase exponentially with the number of subscribers until, at some point, albeit asymptotically, it approaches unity No?
chef2sail likes this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #28 of 56 Old 05-23-2016

I bailed out of the Cruiser's Forum after dealing with some of the persnickety moderators and their increasingly silly rules regarding posts in this digital age. I still may lurk there on occasion but, do not participate even if i have something to add to a subject. Sailnet seems more tolerant with less overbearing moderators than CF. It's a more friendly port to drop anchor IMO.

I find that the major benefit of sailing forums is the information and opinions one can find in them. One of course needs to use ones own filter as to what discussions to participate. Still the information posted all goes into a big digital pot that one can access anytime and get answers quickly. I'm contemplating refurbishing some of the interior cabin on my boat. Just this morning I wanted to see if their was a generic substitute for the Interlux "Special" Thinner 216. A quick google search showed that this was was already answered on several sailing/boat forums in the form of Xylene available in any hardware store. That kind of information saved me money and a trip to a Marine store. Both good things.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #29 of 56 Old 05-23-2016

I checked out a number of forums once I finally was able to get decent internet access.
This is the only one I really thought the people had a decent grasp on reality!
Really didn't like CF, never seen so many people encouraging people to just "do it" (whatever that may be) even if they had absolutely no sailing experience. Kind of reminds me of a smelly hippy fest, can't be negative, can't tell anybody their idea at this point is out to lunch. Very narrow view on sailing I thought.
Found S.A. to be a bit mean for my taste, some good info if you can take the heat though.
This one has a happy medium, people will give you the straight poop with out being too mean. You know, tell people their choice of first boat isn't good because..... That boat will be a money pit because of...... Learn to sail before you try a circumnavigation........
Found the same thing with RC plane forums, gotta find one that works for you. Each has it's own personality.
zeehag likes this.
post #30 of 56 Old 05-23-2016

Go on SN while doing other stuff and taking a breather.
Still at a level often I don't know the right question to ask so SN can be helpful. There's a handful of just plain nice people and they give me a smile. There's a handful of people in the industry either service or design and they educate me. There's a handful of people who are doing or have done what I am doing or want to do and they give me wisdom and insight.
So no SN is not time filler. It serves a very useful function. Try to be a surrogate and ask questions that maybe helpful to others. Try to share what little knowledge and wisdom I've gained. With that approach hopefully don't offend others. Don't understand other approaches to forums.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in