Thoughts On The Sailing Forums - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 56 Old 05-23-2016

Re: Thoughts On The Sailing Forums

The only problem with forums is people don't ignore what they should ignore. That list differs by person. We've all been guilty.

The rest is all good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 05-23-2016
RTB
TROUBLE

I've learned so much on the forums. Also, personally met many members who have become true friends. I've been strongly influenced in a positive way by a few members, and I have helped a few folks myself. I think you get out what you put into it. I met imagine2frolic at CF, and got invited to Florida for his "Fall Ball" and stayed on Imagine with my wife for a week. Later, John invited me to sail/crew with him and Melanie. We sailed from Green Cove Springs to Cartagena, Colombia. How cool is that?

So, after living aboard for almost four years, and having cruised over 7,500 miles, I look for questions that I can help with. Much of that cruising has been on the Gulf and Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway (from Texas to Georgia), so figure I have enough experience to help with the many questions that come up about doing the ditch. Two trips to the Bahamas including Bimini, Nassau, Exumas, Berry's, Eleuthera, and Abaco. So, hopefully can offer a little help to those who haven't been there yet and have questions.

In the past, I've sure wasted a lot of time here and at the other places. Not so much these days, unless I feel I can help someone with their question.

Ralph
smackdaddy likes this.

S/V FUGUE
HUNTER 36
KEMAH, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 56 Old 05-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
when i began this life on board in 1990, there were a few books, not many, and there were well meaning neighbors who picked and chose to whom they would allow info to be distributed in person.
there was not yet a magical whiners club.
stuff got DONE.
then there got to be interwebzz, and forums/fora erupted to share info among folks with like minded hobbies and ideas. we could actually share ideas and innovations and modifications.
now it is a new place-no more like minded folks doing, but many with only envy and dreams with little to say and much to bash.
in with the bashing there may be a tad bit of info usable to those actually doing the deeds bespoken in the writings.
which is better--ease of access to info and bullying or lack thereof---gotta admit the conflicts can be entertaining, but there is always a victim of the interweb bullying. and dumb questions which win darwin awards. \
let the games begin
Well said Zee. Hope you and Bubba are doing well these days.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

post #34 of 56 Old 05-23-2016
You really are funny!!

I guess the old saying is true:

"Teach a man to fish, and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Teach a man to sail, and there will be no end to his delusions of grandeur".

A bit lofty there Neuman, even for you.
post #35 of 56 Old 05-23-2016

I went sailing at the end of April and haven't had time to check in on the various forums until now so that definitely proves that real cruisers don't go on forums. :-)

I will be back full time in July when we get off the boat and have to sail vicariously again.
smackdaddy likes this.

Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
before it's too late
post #36 of 56 Old 05-23-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlaze View Post
I went sailing at the end of April and haven't had time to check in on the various forums until now so that definitely proves that real cruisers don't go on forums. :-)

I will be back full time in July when we get off the boat and have to sail vicariously again.
Oh hell yeah!!

post #37 of 56 Old 05-24-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The only problem with forums is people don't ignore what they should ignore. That list differs by person. We've all been guilty.
Some forum software makes the ignore function easier to find.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #38 of 56 Old 05-26-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
I guess the old saying is true:

"Teach a man to fish, and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Teach a man to sail, and there will be no end to his delusions of grandeur".

A bit lofty there Neuman, even for you.
Well, Chris, you've taught me a lot about how these forums operate. And, you know the saying, "those who can't do teach."
post #39 of 56 Old 05-26-2016
You really are funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Well, Chris, you've taught me a lot about how these forums operate. And, you know the saying, "those who can't do teach."
Lol, nice! Pretty salty there Neuman, daddy likes!

Can I offer you some constructive criticism on your blog writing?

1- Write more from Noi's perspective sometimes. We hardly ever hear from her, and what her thoughts on the whole thing are as you travel. It'd be nice if your blog had a feel of you two as a couple rather than a feel of you sneaking off to wifi on your own. It'd be nice to hear about the trials and tribulations of learning the nautical tourist lifestyle written from the perspective of the couple rather than just the captain.

2- More detail. The posts have a vague quality to them that feels kind of empty. The best sailing blogs can spin boiling a potato into an entire enchanting post.

3- Obviously, more pictures.

4- More detail and honesty about the overall endgame. Leaving it so vague is obviously safe (so if you don't make it/want to even do it after your perspective progresses, no one can judge you ala' this "forum talkers" post nonsense), but safe writing that leaves plausible deniability for you towards your readers is dull writing with a lot less to captivate the reader.

I remember from our talks while boozing it up at the marina and sneaking cigs from Arty, that your end game was the canal to the Pacific, on to Thailand, then to sell the boat and settle down there as an expat with Noi in her village. Now that is an interesting narrative, if a risky one for it's potential for failure/never happening. That, is a story worth writing about as it happens (or doesn't, whatever the case may be).

Take the risk and declare it in your writings, it'll captivate the reader much more than this aloof "meh, we're just winding out way through the Caribbean" business. I enjoy checking in on your blog, and I like to see you out there rebelling out and going for it after so many years as a desk jockey/bureaucrat employee.

Now go, and write like you mean it. I want to believe.
post #40 of 56 Old 05-27-2016
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Some forum software makes the ignore function easier to find.
Dude, do you really need to leverage your whole professional life off of ignoring me? That's kind of sad. You really should get a new schtick. You're fading away.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-27-2016 at 01:17 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in