Thoughts On The Sailing Forums - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 56 Old 05-27-2016
Banned

Re: Thoughts On The Sailing Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Lol, nice! Pretty salty there Neuman, daddy likes!

Can I offer you some constructive criticism on your blog writing?

1- Write more from Noi's perspective sometimes. We hardly ever hear from her, and what her thoughts on the whole thing are as you travel. It'd be nice if your blog had a feel of you two as a couple rather than a feel of you sneaking off to wifi on your own. It'd be nice to hear about the trials and tribulations of learning the nautical tourist lifestyle written from the perspective of the couple rather than just the captain.

2- More detail. The posts have a vague quality to them that feels kind of empty. The best sailing blogs can spin boiling a potato into an entire enchanting post.

3- Obviously, more pictures.

4- More detail and honesty about the overall endgame. Leaving it so vague is obviously safe (so if you don't make it/want to even do it after your perspective progresses, no one can judge you ala' this "forum talkers" post nonsense), but safe writing that leaves plausible deniability for you towards your readers is dull writing with a lot less to captivate the reader.

I remember from our talks while boozing it up at the marina and sneaking cigs from Arty, that your end game was the canal to the Pacific, on to Thailand, then to sell the boat and settle down there as an expat with Noi in her village. Now that is an interesting narrative, if a risky one for it's potential for failure/never happening. That, is a story worth writing about as it happens (or doesn't, whatever the case may be).

Take the risk and declare it in your writings, it'll captivate the reader much more than this aloof "meh, we're just winding out way through the Caribbean" business. I enjoy checking in on your blog, and I like to see you out there rebelling out and going for it after so many years as a desk jockey/bureaucrat employee.

Now go, and write like you mean it. I want to believe.
This is SAILnet, Christo. Not everything but. Neuman is right. You're coming across as an embittered stalker who never sailed. So harden up dude.
sneuman likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-27-2016 at 01:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 Old 05-27-2016
Banned

For the rest of you - sailing forums should be about SAILING. If they aren't - go somewhere else.
post #43 of 56 Old 05-27-2016
You really are funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
This is SAILnet, Christo. Not everything but. Neuman is right. You're coming across as an embittered stalker who never sailed. So harden up dude.
Oh put a sock in it already, everyone is well aware of your childlike need to interject yourself as the high priest of all things appropriate to your vision of whatever you think proper sailing is, whenever possible. Other opinions on the hobby may differ.

For the rest of you - sailing, like life, has more than one facet. Sailing forums should be about the free exchange and discussion of all things sailing, not just what the sailing forum police deem appropriate content.

post #44 of 56 Old 05-27-2016
Banned

So talk about your sailing. That will help.
post #45 of 56 Old 05-27-2016
You really are funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
For the rest of you - sailing forums should be about SAILING. If they aren't - go somewhere else.
Heh heh... you mean like creating threads that are a critique of sailing forums and ::gasp:: not about actual sailing?

Like that you mean?
post #46 of 56 Old 05-27-2016

Yeah, I sailed across the Pacific.....ended up in Thailad with my nubile Thai girfriend...what more do you need to know?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #47 of 56 Old 05-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post

SA is what it is, more or less uncontrolled. yet controlled. Sailnet not bad. CF, well, never been there, but if it is like some say, will not be going there anytime soon. AS, came and went.

Marty
What forum is (or was) AS?
post #48 of 56 Old 05-27-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Lol, nice! Pretty salty there Neuman, daddy likes!

Can I offer you some constructive criticism on your blog writing?

1- Write more from Noi's perspective sometimes. We hardly ever hear from her, and what her thoughts on the whole thing are as you travel. It'd be nice if your blog had a feel of you two as a couple rather than a feel of you sneaking off to wifi on your own. It'd be nice to hear about the trials and tribulations of learning the nautical tourist lifestyle written from the perspective of the couple rather than just the captain.

2- More detail. The posts have a vague quality to them that feels kind of empty. The best sailing blogs can spin boiling a potato into an entire enchanting post.

3- Obviously, more pictures.

4- More detail and honesty about the overall endgame. Leaving it so vague is obviously safe (so if you don't make it/want to even do it after your perspective progresses, no one can judge you ala' this "forum talkers" post nonsense), but safe writing that leaves plausible deniability for you towards your readers is dull writing with a lot less to captivate the reader.

I remember from our talks while boozing it up at the marina and sneaking cigs from Arty, that your end game was the canal to the Pacific, on to Thailand, then to sell the boat and settle down there as an expat with Noi in her village. Now that is an interesting narrative, if a risky one for it's potential for failure/never happening. That, is a story worth writing about as it happens (or doesn't, whatever the case may be).

Take the risk and declare it in your writings, it'll captivate the reader much more than this aloof "meh, we're just winding out way through the Caribbean" business. I enjoy checking in on your blog, and I like to see you out there rebelling out and going for it after so many years as a desk jockey/bureaucrat employee.

Now go, and write like you mean it. I want to believe.
The blog is meant to lean toward detailing the sailing and passage-making. The more personal stuff is reserved for our Facebook page: S/V Symbiosis.

Noi has her own blog (in Thai) and she writes there. I would never presume to try to usurp her narrative voice.

The best stuff I save for my paid work. Take a look at this month's (May) issue of Cruising World, if that interests you.

The rest of your advice might be sound. I recall in your blog that when you wrote about yanking engines, filling in throughulls and trying to learn how to row your 10,000 lb. boat down the ICW, your seriousness and sincerity shone through. That's what made those posts hilarious. They provided some much needed mirth at the Table of Knowledge. Sadly, the blog disappeared from the Interwebs soon after your harrowing passage from the boatyard to the dock.

But, frankly, I'm surprised you are interested in our little project. Over the past several years, whenever I dip in to this forum, you seem to be more interested in marginal political discussions and conspiracy theories than sailing. Some things never change.
chrisncate and aeventyr60 like this.

Last edited by sneuman; 05-27-2016 at 09:40 AM.
post #49 of 56 Old 05-27-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Feel free to offer up your comments/observations either here or on the blog post.
Ok, so there are talkers vs. doers. And then there are self-proclaimed members of sailing's 1% club.

Quote:
As for sailing, I figure I am in at least the "1 percent" club of the world's sailors now. Few have ever seen conditions like I did, let alone endured them for so long.
Voyage Of Symbiosis: Typhoon (2005)
post #50 of 56 Old 05-27-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Ok, so there are talkers vs. doers. And then there are self-proclaimed members of sailing's 1% club.

Voyage Of Symbiosis: Typhoon (2005)
It's something I wrote more than a decade ago, immediately after the fact. That seemed like a reasonable statement then. In fact, even today, at least on that one aspect, it doesn't seem far off to me.

Obviously, you read that rather long post all the way to the end. I dunno. What did you think? Does it sound like something that anything but a tiny fraction of sailors ever experience?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in