SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Thoughts On The Sailing Forums (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/253458-thoughts-sailing-forums.html)

sneuman 05-22-2016 09:03 AM

Thoughts On The Sailing Forums

I have been a on again, off again participant here for a number of years now. Finally decided to put some thoughts in my blog. Feel free to offer up your comments/observations either here or on the blog post.

Voyage Of Symbiosis: A Few Thoughts About Those Online Sailing Forums

mikel1 05-22-2016 09:15 AM

Re: Thoughts On The Sailing Forums

I TOTALLY get what you are saying . . . I guess everyone has to be their own filter, like browsing through a newspaper, skipping the stuff of no interest to you . . . I still enjoy and learn from the forums though . . . and some has to be taken for "entertainment" value only . . .

weinie 05-22-2016 09:28 AM

So you just decided to take your gun bashing opinion to your blog where you are insulated from comments that diverge from your world view.
Well, okay then.

sneuman 05-22-2016 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weinie (Post 3498970)
So you just decided to take your gun bashing opinion to your blog where you are insulated from comments that diverge from your world view.
Well, okay then.

Please, feel free to comment here or on the post. I think I mentioned that in the OP. Let me scroll up.

Yes. Yes, I did say that.

Faster 05-22-2016 09:46 AM

Fair comment, I thought. Forums ebb and flood, people come and go, others flit from one to another forum as the mood strikes..

If participating satisfies your needs, whatever they might be, it's all good. If not, well it's voluntary, isn't it?

Clearly I spend too much time here.. so I do enjoy my summer hiatus each year, it's a nice break to get thoroughly 'off line' for a while.

deniseO30 05-22-2016 10:09 AM

I'll say I don't get it. Posts on forums about forums and making a blog about it is what? An attempt to say you have nothing to say, offer? My guess, to go sailing on your boat a newbie would find themselves in an information vacuum because the real knowledge is kept in some kind of mystical mindset that only the experts have access to?

Without new, stupid, illogical things to read, forums are boring just like the super knowledgeable people that don't know, share, care, how to help others.

Fstbttms 05-22-2016 10:11 AM

Want to drive traffic to your blog? Slam the sailing forums on it and then announce that you have done so on the selfsame forums. Nice little marketing ploy.

sneuman 05-22-2016 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fstbttms (Post 3499034)
Want to drive traffic to your blog? Slam the sailing forums on it and then announce that you have done so on the selfsame forums. Nice little marketing ploy.

Yep. I can say that the idea for the post came to me without that in mind. But, I did quickly realize there's a natural audience for what I wrote. Writers trying to find an audience. Pfft! Yeah, kids these days ...

Besides, if you actually read the post, I think you'll find it pretty even-handed.

zeehag 05-22-2016 10:19 AM

when i began this life on board in 1990, there were a few books, not many, and there were well meaning neighbors who picked and chose to whom they would allow info to be distributed in person.
there was not yet a magical whiners club.
stuff got DONE.
then there got to be interwebzz, and forums/fora erupted to share info among folks with like minded hobbies and ideas. we could actually share ideas and innovations and modifications.
now it is a new place-no more like minded folks doing, but many with only envy and dreams with little to say and much to bash.
in with the bashing there may be a tad bit of info usable to those actually doing the deeds bespoken in the writings.
which is better--ease of access to info and bullying or lack thereof---gotta admit the conflicts can be entertaining, but there is always a victim of the interweb bullying. and dumb questions which win darwin awards. \
let the games begin

sneuman 05-22-2016 10:19 AM

True!