First off shore coastal run - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 89 Old 05-24-2016

Re: First off shore coastal run

You're all looking at this wrong!
Cappy you're going to make your first passage right? You don't put an x on a calendar and say thats the day. The most important prep for your first passage is practicing your sick voice, second is watching the NOAA buoys on your course the ones that show wind also the NOAA weather for the area. Sounds like you're about an hour away and the boat's ready to go right?
What you want to do is put the NOAA stuff in your favorites and check them obsessively just to see that the weather report is saying the same predicted wind as what the actual buoys are getting. Now on the morning you wake up and you see the weather saying you're going to have a South East 10 to 15 you immediately call your boss with your best sick voice and tell him you had some bad clams and aren't going to make it in today. Next look to see what the moon is doing if its full or new, take your time you don't want to leave the dock until around 10 am but if you look out and see half that moon you want to set a new record to the boat and set sail before light.
Forget all the crap these clowns are telling you do it my way you'll have a blast and want to do it again...
smackdaddy likes this.

Last edited by rckfd; 05-24-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 89 Old 05-24-2016 Thread Starter

rckfd thanks for the advice
post #13 of 89 Old 05-24-2016

There's a difference between the way you plan a pleasure cruise and a delivery. You take your time with a pleasure cruise. This is more akin to a delivery, i.e., moving the boat to a new permanent location. Delivery captains typically don't waste time. If they can't make 4-5 kts under sail, they'll run the engine. For example, at 5 kts you'll cover 60 miles in 12 hours. At 3 kts it will take you 20 hours. If you're shorthanded, the difference can easily result in arriving exhausted, and arriving at night, or in daylight. Plan your trip accordingly, and, if the wind lightens, don't let it delay your arrival at your destination until night. Use your engine as needed to maintain your scheduled arrival deadline.

post #14 of 89 Old 05-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sandbar View Post
Just to let everyone know I'm taking my first 60 mile trip north from Savannah GA to port Royal SC this weekend. I'm going to shoot out about 4 miles and buzz up the coast. Tip would be great I'm a new sailor

My boat: 1973 cal 27 T/2
150% Genoa
3 reef main
Hummingbird helix 9
I don't know your area or your experience. I would:

1. Study the charts, tides and coast pilot in advance so that you are familiar with hazards, landmarks and options for shelter. Take hard copies of it all;
2. Have at least 2 GPS devices;
3. Watch the weather closely;
4. Make sure that you have enough fuel for the whole trip, plus some margin (~20%);
5. Take a hand-held VHF and monitor at least 16 at all times;
6. Wear a PFD and use a tether, especially if you're single-handing (it'd be better with at least two);
7. Take some tools and basic spares.

It's a fair amount of preparation, but should help you be more relaxed and enjoy it more. Have fun!

Roger
post #15 of 89 Old 05-24-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

Cap'n, sounds like you're getting good advice. I assume you have good radio, flares, first aid kit, etc. A nice addition is a cruising guide or Coastal Pilot. You can read the pilot (the Coastal Pilot is a book published by NOAA. Are you #3 or #4?) for a description of the land you are passing. It is full of useful information and makes the trip more interesting. In this day of GPS, I think a lot of people forget dead-reconning (keep your paper charts!). The Coastal Pilot is a good one.

Sounds like you're going to have a great trip! Let us know how it works out.
post #16 of 89 Old 05-24-2016

I would put a lot of effort into begging or borrowing a smaller jib if possible. You should have a great trip regardless.
oysterman23 likes this.

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran
post #17 of 89 Old 05-25-2016
Captain Obvious

Have a great time but watch the forecast. Weather looks less than ideal for you this weekend.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #18 of 89 Old 05-25-2016 Thread Starter

Yeah I have a 110% jib on the hook. It should be here by friday
post #19 of 89 Old 05-25-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

Have a great time - But I want to repeat what has been said by pretty much everyone here: Only go if the weather forecast is good.
post #20 of 89 Old 05-25-2016 Thread Starter

Yeah I've been watching it. So far Friday it's going to be 5-10 knots and later in the afternoon 10-15

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in