First off shore coastal run - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 89 Old 05-25-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

Re: First off shore coastal run

Sandy,

Is the wind direction good (not head on)? How about the sea state? Do you have a couple of bail out harbors (or ancorages) in case things do get nasty?

I just went to the NOAA coastal forecast for Savannah, South Carolina:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product....&highlight=off

I DO NOT KNOW YOUR AREA! But ...It sounds like a front moving in this weekend? NE wind coming in at 15 knots. That sounds like you might be fighting your way into a headwind. Not really fun for 60 miles. It might be prudent to wait out the front. What do you think?

Can someone with local knowledge jump in and see if this assessment is correct?

Last edited by Scotty C-M; 05-25-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 89 Old 05-25-2016 Thread Starter

.fri...e winds 5 to 10 kt...increasing to 15 kt in the afternoon.
Seas 2 ft...building to 3 ft in the afternoon.
post #23 of 89 Old 05-25-2016
Captain Obvious

They are predicting a tropical low to develop and head for the SE coast on Sat.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 05-25-2016 at 01:43 PM.

post #24 of 89 Old 05-25-2016 Thread Starter

What do you think leave tomorrow?
post #25 of 89 Old 05-26-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

From one of the "clowns"

Hilton Head Island, SC Marine Weather and Tide Forecast

Weather looks iffy.....pick another time when you can enjoy it

The NE wind direction vs the outgoing tide will make the inlet run going in pretty rough. A 3-4 foot swell in the ocean can become a -6 foot breaking wave rolling across the east and northern shoals on the entrance in to the port Royal Sound. The Chart already designates breakers in the area.

Also the forecast calls for potential deteriorating conditions with the possibility of a tropical depression nearby
Sal Paradise likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 05-26-2016 at 12:21 AM.
post #26 of 89 Old 05-26-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

Cap'n Sandy,

If you had experience you might get by leaving tomorrow (Thursday), but I don't think it's a good idea. The front is due to hit Friday, and they sometimes come in early. It just dosen't give you wiggle room. Weather is EVERYTHING (well the boat too!) in these crossings. Good weather can make it a great trip. Bad weather can turn a three hour tour into, well, we've all seen Gillagen's Island…..(sorry, a little humor). No, amigo, give it a few days (or a week or two) and go when the weather Gods are smiling on you.
Sal Paradise likes this.
post #27 of 89 Old 05-26-2016
Full time cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sandbar View Post
Yes I have a slip waiting on me at port Royal marina. It's going to be a permanent move as I live in SC. I've been watching passage weather for a couple days now. I plan on leaving Friday for it looks like there is a system that will be here Saturday evening. I'm totally psyched about the trip but nervous at the same time. I've have the boat out in 15-20 knots in the sound and even single handed it in and out of my current slip ( should have been there to see that lol). Nervous part is I only have a Genoa and not a small jib to go good with a reefed main. I've never sailed in open ocean waves just chop in the sound (which sucks BTW) this will definitely be a learning experience.
Just watch the front closely -- we have at times tried to get ahead of a front and it came in early and we got the crap kicked out of us - so just watch closely as if it arrives before you get in - not a good day -

Just saw the weather for your area -- hum -- there is nothing wrong with sitting -- we are sitting in Istanbul waiting weather to run the 18nm Bosphorus Straits - there is absolutely no shame in sitting
And when you get the weather just enjoy a great ride -- I did it single handed - set the a/p put on some tunes sit back with a cold soft drink in hand (we have a rule on SoulMates - NO alcohol while underway - period) and enjoy the ride and have a cold one when you anchor and watch the sun go down

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel

Last edited by chuck5499; 05-26-2016 at 03:40 AM.
post #28 of 89 Old 05-26-2016 Thread Starter

Yeah I'm watching the weather. As of right now seas seam 2 to 3 feet with 5 to 10 knots of wind E. At this moment it looks good to go beam reach all the way up the coast. But tonight before I head down to Savannah I'll check it again and monitor it during the trip.
post #29 of 89 Old 05-26-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sandbar View Post
Yeah I'm watching the weather. As of right now seas seam 2 to 3 feet with 5 to 10 knots of wind E. At this moment it looks good to go beam reach all the way up the coast. But tonight before I head down to Savannah I'll check it again and monitor it during the trip.
I have sailed the waters of the southeast coast for well over 40 years. Their inlets, shallow and with fast currents are notorious for the difficulty in transiting during a wind/tide conflict Schedule your entrance to Port Royal Sound at High Tide. Wait at anchor if necessary for slack high tide. The 2016 US Coast Pilot 4, chapter 7, page 67 states," The three large water tanks on Hilton Head Island are the most prominent objects at the entrance to Port Royal sound. The breaking shoals are prominent. The currents generally set fair with the entrance channel, except at the first turn to the NW, here a strong current sets diagonally across the channel from the entrance channel into Bay Point Reach. Lighted Whistle Buoy P (32 05' 08"N., 80 35' 02"W.". Although NOAA chart 11516 indicates (32 05' 14"N., 80 35' 04"W). I live near Augusta, Ga. and I would normally not hesitate to volunteer to sail with you but I have very recently damaged my left arm Rotator Cuff. Hurts like a mother. Be careful, wait for the High Tide. Wait. If the wind is from the west it will be bad enough. Good luck.
post #30 of 89 Old 05-26-2016 Thread Starter

Seabeau
I Actually live next to Aiken sc
And currently work at plant voglte. Small world huh?

Last edited by Captain Sandbar; 05-26-2016 at 07:36 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in