37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 89 Old 05-26-2016

Re: First off shore coastal run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sandbar View Post
Seabeau
I Actually live next to Aiken sc
And currently work at plant voglte. Small world huh?
Smaller than you think.. I retired from Vogtle Operations Dept. in Oct. after 34 years of service. Are you moving to Carolina for work?

Last edited by seabeau; 05-26-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 89 Old 05-26-2016 Thread Starter

I'm working on unit 3 and 4.
Well in oder for me to hit high tide I'll have to leave a 4am :sob:
post #33 of 89 Old 05-26-2016

Quote:
I'm working on unit 3 and 4.
Well in oder for me to hit high tide I'll have to leave a 4am :sob:
First true light will be about 6:00. If there is no wind/tide conflict any time would be good, BUT if not, NOT good.

post #34 of 89 Old 05-26-2016 Thread Starter

In worse case scenario what am I looking at?
post #35 of 89 Old 05-26-2016

Local knowledge aways trumps (also agrees with me). Looks like you have a low sitting offshore to the south east of you predicted to go north west. You have a east wind now (bet ya it's more ne)if the track is what is predicted more than likely the wind will go ne then nw basically anti-clock wise the moon phase right now your slack tides should be around the 6's and 12's.
Like I said local knowledge trumps and prudence is a virtue...
;-)
chef2sail likes this.
post #36 of 89 Old 05-26-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckfd View Post
Local knowledge aways trumps (also agrees with me). Looks like you have a low sitting offshore to the south east of you predicted to go north west. You have a east wind now (bet ya it's more ne)if the track is what is predicted more than likely the wind will go ne then nw basically anti-clock wise the moon phase right now your slack tides should be around the 6's and 12's.
Like I said local knowledge trumps and prudence is a virtue...
;-)
I agree. Most competent boaters are also good meteorologists. Knowing where the centers of metrological disturbances and how they interact with your position/s is the key to well planned, safe and uneventful passages.
chef2sail likes this.
post #37 of 89 Old 05-26-2016

Quote:
Given the latest forecast, with winds from the eastern quadrant, first East then NE, which is good for you, you can go inshore with at high tide or a incoming tide, on a beam reach possibly the entire sail, even when the wind veers to the NE, after the turn to the NW at the Bay Reach section of the channel.
post #38 of 89 Old 05-26-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabeau View Post
Quote:
Given the latest forecast, with winds from the eastern quadrant, first East then NE, which is good for you, you can go inshore with at high tide or a incoming tide, on a beam reach possibly the entire sail, even when the wind veers to the NE, after the turn to the NW at the Bay Reach section of the channel.
That's what I was thinking. If I leave at 4-5am I'll get to port Royal sound right before slack high tide. Only thing is leaving Warsaw sound in Savannah. I would be leaving at an outgoing tide with winds coming from the east. How "bad" will it be?
post #39 of 89 Old 05-26-2016

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. If I leave at 4-5am I'll get to port Royal sound right before slack high tide. Only thing is leaving Warsaw sound in Savannah. I would be leaving at an outgoing tide with winds coming from the east. How "bad" will it be?
Which river will you be using to get to Wassaw Sound? The Bull or the Wilmington? What's the draft on your boat? The outlet from the Bull to exit the Sound is shoaled up, you have to steer from the Bull River G1 buoy almost SW along the Colregs Demarcation Line, across the shoals in 10 to 12 water to draw abeam of The Wilmington River R 14 Buoy R 14 on your port about 3/4 mile away, You'll know your in the Wilmington by a water depth of 20-25 ft depth. Do not steer directly for the R 14 from G1, due to a 6 ft shoal area about halfway. When you get abeam of R 14 continue on for about 100 to 200 yards then steer approx. SE to R18, and subsequently on to R 2W and deep water.

Last edited by seabeau; 05-27-2016 at 12:05 PM.
post #40 of 89 Old 05-26-2016

Quote:
As long as you sail in the GA Bight you'll always be at the mercy of extreme tides and subsequence currents. When the tide and wind counter each other the chop can get real bad real quick. At a minimum it will be a lot of "hobby horsing:" and at the worse you'll simply have to turn back due to the severe hull pounding you'll receive. I've had to simply wait at anchor for hours to just get out many times. Have you thought about going "up" the ICW, I would give it some serious thought.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in