US East Coast Customs (Hatteras to NYC) - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-28-2016 Thread Starter

US East Coast Customs (Hatteras to NYC)

We'll be leaving the Bahamas to head north soon (leaving from the Abacos). If we get weather to go past Hatteras, where is it easy to clear customs? Maybe Norfolk/Hampton, VA? Ideally we'd like to make it to Sandy Hook, NJ or somewhere else near NYC before heading up the Hudson. Even Atlantic City, NJ would be ok. I've checked the CBP site but all of the sites between Beaufort, NC and Long Island seem to be far from convenient places to anchor or dock.

We're Canadian flagged but have NEXUS cards & already have a cruising permit. I know in theory we should be able to call in but I haven't heard of anyone not having to report in or have the boat visited except on the Great Lakes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-28-2016

Re: US East Coast Customs (Hatteras to NYC)

We left from Great Sal Cay after coming up through the Abacos to Fort Pierce. Called in.. Took a taxi to the airport to check in personally. Worst case is you might have go to the Customs by vehicle. Don't forget to call by phone.

Sounds like a long route to take. We have some Netherlands friends that left Marsh Harbor to Bermuda. They had a very rough ride. We have been watching the constant low pressure areas sweep from the east coast across the Atlantic to Europe.

Not sure I would like to be in your shoes. We made two hops along the coast and a few trips through the ICW.
Good luck,
Bryce
post #3 of 19 Old 05-29-2016 Thread Starter

Odd are we'll only make it to Beaufort, NC then decide whether to the ICM or go around Hatteras. It'd be nice not to have to stop if we get there and the weather is good to round Hatteras. Last year we did Marsh Harbour -> Beaufort a day or so behind TS Ana. It turned out to be one of our nicest passages. The timing worked out nicely too. We got calm weather to motor around Hatteras after catching up on our sleep & remedying our draft beer withdrawal from the Caribbean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old 05-29-2016

Interesting... We are holed up in the Cape Fear River waiting for Bonnie to pass. Then perhaps shoot out and head north to Beaufort Inlet after Bonnie passes.
Bryce
post #5 of 19 Old 06-01-2016

We just crossed back a bit over a week ago. Signed up for the SVRS and did the interviews before we left the US. Filed a float plan before leaving Chub Cay. Called CBP when we got to Dinner Key and cleared in over the phone.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-02-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaM View Post
We'll be leaving the Bahamas to head north soon (leaving from the Abacos). If we get weather to go past Hatteras, where is it easy to clear customs? Maybe Norfolk/Hampton, VA? Ideally we'd like to make it to Sandy Hook, NJ or somewhere else near NYC before heading up the Hudson. Even Atlantic City, NJ would be ok. I've checked the CBP site but all of the sites between Beaufort, NC and Long Island seem to be far from convenient places to anchor or dock.

We're Canadian flagged but have NEXUS cards & already have a cruising permit. I know in theory we should be able to call in but I haven't heard of anyone not having to report in or have the boat visited except on the Great Lakes.
Quote:
Odd are we'll only make it to Beaufort, NC then decide whether to the ICM or go around Hatteras. It'd be nice not to have to stop if we get there and the weather is good to round Hatteras. Last year we did Marsh Harbour -> Beaufort a day or so behind TS Ana. It turned out to be one of our nicest passages. The timing worked out nicely too. We got calm weather to motor around Hatteras after catching up on our sleep & remedying our draft beer withdrawal from the Caribbean.
Good for you. I'm an offshore guy also.

You'll find, if you have not already that US C&I is much easier outside Florida. US CBP will come to you.

If you go to Beaufort NC call in once you are on the dock (I usually use the City docks at Beaufort on Town Creek but have recently started using Portside Marina in Morehead City). Call in and CBP will send an officer to you. If you ask (they won't volunteer) you can usually get permission for crew to get off the boat for showers. Make sure you can get everyone back on the boat really fast when the CBP officer arrives - if too many officers have to wait too long we'll lose that privilege.

In Norfolk I head for the marinas in Little Creek, usually the fuel dock of Vinings Landing Marina. It is closest to the airport where CBP comes from to meet you. I would not plan to stay at Vinings Landing - just get fuel, water, and C&I and then move down to Cobbs Marina if you want to stay a day or so.

The distance from Abaco to Norfolk VA is not much different than to Beaufort NC. Going so far West to Beaufort makes the trip to Norfolk or Portsmouth or Hampton that much longer. If you have good weather data aboard (something that shows cold fronts, like weather fax or Chris Parker, not GRIBs) you can head for Norfolk/Little Creek and use Beaufort NC as a bailout if you need to.

For me, watching the weather, I usually do Abaco to Little Creek in three to five days depending on the boat and the wind.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #7 of 19 Old 06-02-2016 Thread Starter

We did the Beaufort City Dock last year. So easy, especially since there were a few boats that all arrived from the Abacos at the same time. And a nice spot to hang out for a few days for a window around Hatteras.

Thanks for the tip about where to stop in Norfolk. That might be really handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
The distance from Abaco to Norfolk VA is not much different than to Beaufort NC. Going so far West to Beaufort makes the trip to Norfolk or Portsmouth or Hampton that much longer. If you have good weather data aboard (something that shows cold fronts, like weather fax or Chris Parker, not GRIBs) you can head for Norfolk/Little Creek and use Beaufort NC as a bailout if you need to.

For me, watching the weather, I usually do Abaco to Little Creek in three to five days depending on the boat and the wind.
You've probably almost always got a little waterline on us, so 4-5 days is what we expect. We can motor it in 5 so unless the wind is from due north for 3 days it shouldn't take any longer than that. Might've made it to Beaufort if we left last night but now we'll be sitting for a little while to see what the 2 current potential tropical lows do.

It does add distance to stop in Beaufort, NC but so does going in the Chesapeake since we're en route to the Hudson. I'd rather stop in NC since it lets me pick a window for Hatteras right before rounding it. A day out from Hatteras we'll decide whether to keep going or bail out in Beaufort, NC. To keep the distance as close to the rhumb line to NYC as possible, we'll probably aim for Atlantic City, NJ or 79th St in NYC and use Beaufort, NC as a bailout.

I agree about the GRIBs being insufficient. Chatted with a boat yesterday that figured they'd have a nice passage to the Carolinas leaving yesterday. From GFS it looks like it'd just be a bit brisk for the last bit. But if you look at the surface analysis charts there's a real mess coming in on Sunday night that would be a bit of a gamble to race, especially if it moves a little quicker than expected.

post #8 of 19 Old 06-02-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
It does add distance to stop in Beaufort, NC but so does going in the Chesapeake since we're en route to the Hudson.
Ah. I missed that. Off the top of my head from North Man o' War Cut I'd round the islands and make 315T into the Gulf Stream and make best time from the boost. When in doubt head East. Stay fast. Bad weather off Hatteras is bad but not nearly so often as reported, especially if you stay in deep water. Just head for NY Harbor. I would pull into Sandy Hook for C&I as long as fuel and water allow you to get that far North. YMMV.

Quote:
I agree about the GRIBs being insufficient. Chatted with a boat yesterday that figured they'd have a nice passage to the Carolinas leaving yesterday. From GFS it looks like it'd just be a bit brisk for the last bit. But if you look at the surface analysis charts there's a real mess coming in on Sunday night that would be a bit of a gamble to race, especially if it moves a little quicker than expected.
Excellent. Do you have weather fax on board? You can get the synoptics twice a day and have a much better picture of what to expect. If you're heading to New York you can always bear right and keep going.

post #9 of 19 Old 06-02-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Excellent. Do you have weather fax on board? You can get the synoptics twice a day and have a much better picture of what to expect. If you're heading to New York you can always bear right and keep going.
We've got an iPad + SSB receiver that can get weather faxes. Will probably just listen to Chris Parker for the first day or two. If anything sounds "interesting" or when we get near 32N then I'll pull out the weather fax.

We'll get some input from Chris Parker on gulf stream eddies & routing before leaving too. I've been watching the NCOM model and there's a lot of changes day to day. It's cheaper than paying for my own access to the good models. Last year we did pretty much the route you recommended: out North Man o War & slightly east for the first hundred miles. We don't have any commitments until August but we'd rather not take a month to work up to NYC.

post #10 of 19 Old 06-02-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
We've got an iPad + SSB receiver that can get weather faxes. Will probably just listen to Chris Parker for the first day or two. If anything sounds "interesting" or when we get near 32N then I'll pull out the weather fax.

We'll get some input from Chris Parker on gulf stream eddies & routing before leaving too. I've been watching the NCOM model and there's a lot of changes day to day. It's cheaper than paying for my own access to the good models. Last year we did pretty much the route you recommended: out North Man o War & slightly east for the first hundred miles. We don't have any commitments until August but we'd rather not take a month to work up to NYC.
Brilliant. Propagation varies but I usually do best with 9108.1 for night weather faxes for where you are. Remember to set the power settings on your laptop/tablet so it doesn't go to sleep.

For Gulf Stream I use DEOS: Current velocities of the Gulf Stream and email Frank Bohlen if I'm not sure.

Let me know if I can help.

Shouldn't be but six or seven days to NYC if you point and shoot.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in