Walk Away From This Keel? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 44 Old 05-29-2016 Thread Starter

Re: Walk Away From This Keel?

Is it true that a surveyor could learn more about this issue from an interior inspection than a haul out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 Old 05-29-2016

The boat storage yard in San Carlos is full of boats....Run away from this as fast as you ca...Muy rapido por favor
seabeau likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #13 of 44 Old 05-30-2016 Thread Starter

I wish San Carlos were closer. There aren't a lot of options at the moment in Vallarta. Side note: Yachtworld has 580 boats available in Mexico vs. 50,270 in the US.

post #14 of 44 Old 05-30-2016

So put on your thinking cap....Amigo...a crap sheet boat in Mexico..or maybe a well found boat in San Diego? You will find the same stuff in Mexico too....We called the boat storage yard in San Carlos the "field of broken dreams"......get the hint? Guess where all those boats came from....
eherlihy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #15 of 44 Old 05-30-2016

That's not just a keel bolt (or even a few).
Either it broke several and stretched all the rest or the aft end of the keel punched up into the hull/keel sump.
That would be some major damage there.
If it was insured, I'd guess they would have totaled the boat!
Though to be fair, given the age, possibly it did break already seriously flawed bolts, but replacing one would be insufficient. If they dropped the keel, inspected all the bolts and found many were indeed failed/failing, & replaced them, I might think about it, but I'd still walk away!

It is by Will Alone I Set My Ride In Motion.
post #16 of 44 Old 05-30-2016

Think about how you might ever sell the boat up against 50,000 undamaged hulls, when you're done with it. Pass.
post #17 of 44 Old 05-30-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

Buy a better and less expensive boat in California and sail it back to Vallarta. Go on the Baja HaHa! Sailing from California to Mexico is really pretty easy. Walk away from this one.
post #18 of 44 Old 05-30-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahia Mike View Post
I'm looking at a Catalina 36 that hit a reef early 2015. The impact separated the front of the hull from the keel. The boat was repaired for $8000 in a reputable Mexican ship yard and given a clean bill of health. They hauled the boat, replaced a keel bolt, and reinforced the fiberglass. The boat was actively sailed by the owner after the repair until work related travel forced a quick sale.

It was sold recently, but they buyer had the keel shot with a thermal camera from inside the cabin while the boat was in the water. The surveyor reported some anomalies and suggested that the repair may not have been done "to factory specs". This scared him off and the owner dropped the price by 50% just to get it sold.

Thermal imaging is neat, but by understanding is that the operator needs to be qualified and the conditions need to be just right to get useable information. I wonder if there is a deal to be had here that would satisfy my needs in a first boat for daysailing and overnights in our bay.

I have very limited experience assessing keel repairs and the potential for other issues. I'm debating making an offer and hauling it out for a good survey. I don't want to waste $1000 if this is an obvious walk away situation.

Appreciate your tips!

Photo of damage before repair:
http://s33.postimg.org/cfrj54b1b/keel.jpg
Hey Bahia,
Do you have a bahia? A friend just got one and we're trying to figure out what that line just above the sprit is for?

As far as the boat never a bad idea to have a boat survey don't listen to racist wing nuts on here about Mexican craftsmanship that or you should get real worried about your car!
But if you're really worried just put in the contract that the guys that did the work have to deliver the boat...
post #19 of 44 Old 05-30-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

It's not an issue of where, or who did, the repair, but if the repair can be certified as having been done correctly. That's the tricky part because repair of a grid design boat requires particular expertise. If you can get that to your satisfaction, Mike, then you are in business. If not, then you have to deal with it as an issue that affects both the safety of the boat and it's resale value. The boat being delivered has no bearing on this, as a problem sometimes takes time to show up. Do you have communication with the people who actually did the repair? If you are still interested in this boat, that would be a place to start.

Here is a link to a longer discussion on grid design and repair after groundings:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailbo...iscussion.html

I looked up "boats for sale" on Craig's List. There are some nice boats for sale in California that don't have this particular problem.
post #20 of 44 Old 05-30-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty C-M View Post
It's not an issue of where, or who did, the repair, but if the repair can be certified as having been done correctly. That's the tricky part because repair of a grid design boat requires particular expertise. If you can get that to your satisfaction, Mike, then you are in business. If not, then you have to deal with it as an issue that affects both the safety of the boat and it's resale value. The boat being delivered has no bearing on this, as a problem sometimes takes time to show up. Do you have communication with the people who actually did the repair? If you are still interested in this boat, that would be a place to start.

Here is a link to a longer discussion on grid design and repair after groundings:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/sailbo...iscussion.html

I looked up "boats for sale" on Craig's List. There are some nice boats for sale in California that don't have this particular problem.
you didn't the joke.
if the guys who repaired the boat are too scared to deliver it then...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in