post #21 of 44 Old 05-30-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

Re: Walk Away From This Keel?

Ohhhhhhh…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 Old 05-30-2016

My first thought is that a reputable boat yard and a serious owner would know that a future buyer would want to know the details of the repair.

Typically it is sold as repaired so it is stronger that new.

I would request the photos of the repair and the report of the surveyor hired to supervise the repair with the communication with Catalina corporate as to their recommendations.

If those items are not available it is a parts boat.

It would be perfect to liveaboard at a dock.
You could recover a good part of the cost of the boat and a lot of storage space by selling the motor.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.

Last edited by davidpm; 05-30-2016 at 07:30 PM.
post #23 of 44 Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter

Looks like I'll be walking. It's hard not to feel that anything in my price range will be old and messed up like this boat. Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice.
aeventyr60 likes this.

post #24 of 44 Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckfd View Post
Hey Bahia,
Do you have a bahia? A friend just got one and we're trying to figure out what that line just above the sprit is for?

As far as the boat never a bad idea to have a boat survey don't listen to racist wing nuts on here about Mexican craftsmanship that or you should get real worried about your car!
But if you're really worried just put in the contract that the guys that did the work have to deliver the boat...

I don't have a bahia. It's a reference to where we live.
post #25 of 44 Old 05-31-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

Mike. Hang in there. The right boat is comming in!!
post #26 of 44 Old 05-31-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahia Mike View Post
Looks like I'll be walking. It's hard not to feel that anything in my price range will be old and messed up like this boat. Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice.
Don't give up. Plenty of boats available around your price range. Was the $10k your limit? May just need to go a few feet smaller. Older does not need to mean messed up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #27 of 44 Old 05-31-2016
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahia Mike View Post
IMHO a good decision...

I will share something that I learned while boat shopping; there will always be another boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #28 of 44 Old 05-31-2016

I think walking is probably the right decision. However I do understand the attraction of a Cat 36 for $10k.
post #29 of 44 Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter

Heard from the broker this morning and there is some new information on this Catalina 36.

The boat was surveyed in 2014 after the repair in and out of the water. I have a copy of the survey. The following were said about the boat and repair:

HULL BELOW THE WATERLINE
The hull below the waterline was inspected and sounded and found in fair condition, no blisters were observed. All through hull fittings appear sound, the shaft strut is in good condition. A new stainless steel shaft and cutlass bearing was installed at the last haul out. The rudder bearings are in good condition with no play. The bottom paint is in good condition. There have been repairs made at the keel joint and adjacent to the keel due to a grounding in September. The repairs were well done.

MECHANICAL
The steering equipment was inspected and found in good working condition, the rudder and propeller shaft packing glands are adjusted correctly. The motor was run and found in fairworking condition, no blow by was detected. the raw water pump appears in good condition, All sea cocks were found in good condition some slightly stiff to turn, hoses where visible, appear to be in good condition and are double clamped where possible, the bilge pump was activated and in good working condition, the bilge was found clean , some oil and a minimum amount of water. The engine alignment was checked. The engine needs re aligning. **

FOREDECK
The foredeck consists of a double bow roller with a Delta type anchor mounted and ready to deploy. There is a flush deck anchor locker with a spare anchor and rode. There is also one cleat, Stainless Steel stanchions and a pulpit with double Stainless Steel safety lines. On the trunk house top is a large escape hatch and a second escape hatch 18x18 inches. On checking the deck for moisture in the deck core. Moisture was detected in the following areas. Around the upper chain plates, around the windlass foot switch, windlass mounting block and two small deck prisms. These moisture areas are small and pose no major problems.

REQUIREMENTS A
** . Up date flares
2 - Serviee fire extinguishers
3 - lnstall an electric solenoid and a pressure gaugc at the propane tank and a thermp coupler at the stove to come into compliance.

RECOMMENDATIONS B
I Secure galley sink
2 Provide vents to battery compartment 3 Service life raft at first available facility 4 Service EPIRB
5 Realign engine
6 lnstall a smoke/ CO detector
7 lnstall a propane gas detector

The boat was surveyed again last month for another buyer. The surveyor said the following about the repairs:

Yes I did the full survey except the sea trial and haul out. The damage to the keel was serious the owner has pictures one bolt was replaced but the keel was not dropped when repaired. I used a thermo imaging camera and there is some suspect delamination at the repair area I can show you the pictures if you like. I think the keel can be fixed better. *I will post these picks when they come in. *The rest of the survey checked out.

Finally, they have best case and worst case estimates from the yard.

1. Bring the boat out of the water, inspect keel, and joint to hull. In case of finding small cracks repair with epoxy resins, fiber glass gelcoat, 2 coats of primer epoxy and 2 coats of antifouling bottom paint. Cost: 1150 USD

2. Worst scenario: Finding abnormal cracks around the keel and visible loose keel. Drop the keel clear in order to re-bed wit new marine sealant, adjust bolts and nots to specified torque, seal joint with fiberglass, epoxy resin and gelcoat, 2 coats of epoxy and 2 coats antifouling bottom paint. Cost: 7200 USD

3. Inside the boat: Dismount floor panels, table and seats to inspect and repair fiber glass damaged by possible structural stress. Repairs as needed with epoxy resin, fiber glass, and gelcoat. Cost: 1575 USD

I'm thinking that with these issues and the owners situation; the boat should essentially be free. Does this above information change anything for you?

Thanks!
post #30 of 44 Old 05-31-2016

Mike,

it is not only the forward crack but also all knock-on effects. The mis-aligned motor is a strong indication of this, in spite of having changed shaft etc the motor has moved since repair, ie the motor bed and the area around are not stable as they should be. To fix this is a major operation, dropping keel, removing a lot of damaged GRP and replacing it with new.

Could be an interesting job if one has
- a lot of free time
- a specific interest in boat repairs
- a good place to work as an old barn.

Otherwise it is just a wast of valuable time. No money can compensate for time.

/J

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in