Concerns over unused boat: Stale batteries, what else? - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter

Concerns over unused boat: Stale batteries, what else?

As some of you have seen on other threads, I've just entered into contract for a 2001 Catalina 34MkII. I know that a good surveyor will take care of me, but I'm interested in hearing your comments on this topic:

The boat has sat on the hard for about 18 months because the owner has moved to Maine. What are some of the issues that can be expected?

The first one that comes to mind is batteries. The broker says that they are "new" AGM batteries (when pressed on actual age, she said two years old). That sounds great, but I'm concerned that if they were not topped off periodically, they may have discharged too much or other storage anomalies. What is the self-discharge characteristic of AGM batteries? Is is better/worse/the same as traditional flooded batteries?

The surveyors that I have interviewed so far have all groaned when they heard the boat sat unused for that long (mostly because they're concerned it won't start up when they come to do the survey, and they'll be forced to make a return trip to finish up the survey).

What are some of the other issues that I should be sure the surveyor checks? Dried out/cracked seals? Cracked impellar? Mineral deposits in dried out places?

Broker tells me that the owner (who is 700 miles away) is going to hire an engine mechanic at his expense to "check things out" prior to survey. So maybe that's a good sign - unless his objective is to get things working just well enough to hide any bigger problems. (Paranoid, I know.)

Like I said, a good surveyor will take care of me, but I'm still interested in your comments.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-31-2016
Over-caffeinated

Re: Concerns over unused boat: Stale batteries, what else?

I would open the ice box VEERRRRRRYYYYYYYYYY carefully.

More seriously, I would take a close look at all the hoses and seals (fuel, coolant, exhaust) on the engine, and make sure all the filters and fluids are fresh. The fuel itself may also need to be drained and replaced, particularly if ANY water is evident in the tank and/or separator. In fact, for a boat sitting that long, I would take a very close look for sediment and growth in the fuel tank.

Oh, and check all the nooks and crannies in the lockers for any long lost bottles of single-malt -- ya never know....

I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination.
- Hunter S. Thompson

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Newman

One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people donít go into government.
- Donald Drumpf (trying hard to live up to that statement)
post #3 of 27 Old 05-31-2016
One of None

Congrats! (hopefully) 18 months isn't that long a time.IMO She on the hard at a marina? Good that the owner would pay someone to get it running again but I wonder who dropped the ball, the owner or the marina? Was it properly winterized? is a the big question. Seems to me the broker is flat out lazy if things aren't in "ready to show at anytime condition"

Seals, even impellers are not like in the old days, most all are good for many years. Batteries.. hard to know if they are dead or just low on charge. Hopefully there is power nearby and a on board battery charger that can bring up the banks to full charge. Engine should be cranked and not fired up to get oil in the passages. raw water intake can be put into a bucket with garden hose filling the bucket it if it's on the hard and someone is ready to start and run the engine. don not put in gear. neutral only. check the cutlass bearing if she's on the hard. Check rudder wheel and steering. look for water damage from the heavy rains. etc.

find a surveyor that doesn't whine! wow.. just wow..
jrd22 likes this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

post #4 of 27 Old 05-31-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

18 months?!?! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Mine was pickled on the hard for over 5 YEARS!
I'd say that flat batteries and ensuring that it was properly winterized are your biggest concerns, followed by a fresh oil change and replacing the impeller.
Other than that, just fix what the surveyor tells you is an "immediate fix" and be on your way!

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #5 of 27 Old 05-31-2016

If you haven't already, go over to C34.org. That is the Catalina 34 owners website. It is a very active website and anything you need to know about a C34, you will find answers there. I can't tell you how helpful those guys were when I was looking for a C34 and even after I found one and bought it, they have answered many questions for me.
post #6 of 27 Old 05-31-2016

Having brought back to life two boats long unused, I too would agree that 18 months is of no real consequence. And that he is willing to hire a tech to check things out in advance is a very good sign. No tech whose name is on the line would do less than a thorough inspection and thus be able speak with confidence of the engine condition. I would see a tech being hired as an owner indicator he has little if anything to hide. Anticipate getting fuel polished and tank cleaned and build that into the price. Otherwise just a standard survey and sea trial should suffice... oh and get launch fees built into price as well... they may already be prepaid anyway...

The two best days of a boater's life... The day he buys it and every day he SAILS it.
post #7 of 27 Old 05-31-2016

IMHO, one of the reasons to be cautious with a boat that's been sitting on hard for a while, is there maybe neglect that has been going on for some time. The circumstances that lead to it sitting there would be interesting to figure out. Someones interest declined perhaps over a period of time, so much so that eventually it's not even commissioned in the spring. On the other hand, could be someone who was really taking care of things, and circumstances suddenly changed....that would be good news for you.

We've bought 5 boats over too many years, one new, 4 used. One of the used had been sitting in a shed for a few years. We found deck leaks everywhere from dried out caulk, through hull's frozen open (luckily they were the old kind you could disassemble), old style stuffing box needing repacking and missing a locking nut, dried out teak cracking in places, dried out hoses everywhere, bad pumps (but could be rebuilt) from dried out flexible stuff, broken stern rail, and I'm sure more that I cannot recall.

This is not your first rodeo...and it sounds like you are going in eyes wide open starting with a good survey. IMHO this would be much more dangerous for a first time buyer. Depending on the circumstances that lead to it sitting, I hope you'll find mostly pleasant surprises, and you are very wise to be cautious.

Good luck!!!!
post #8 of 27 Old 05-31-2016

Many of those small issues will not turn up on the survey. When you start to actually use the boat is when those pump seals start to leak, the belt breaks, the stanchions start to leak, the solenoid on the starter goes haywire, loose wires short out, electronics start to go south, windlass solenoid connections are shorting out, water pumps don't pump etc, etc etc.....

All part of working the bugs out. A good year of sailing your new boat should be about right. Good luck.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #9 of 27 Old 06-01-2016
Dirt Free

!8 months is no big deal if it was winterized. Great Lakes boats are out of water 6 months every year.
AGM batteries are sealed gel and cannot be "topped" up. If they were fully charged and then disconnected they should be fine.
I would definetly change the impeller as you have no idea how old it is.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #10 of 27 Old 06-01-2016

I'll add to the chorus, 18 months is not terrible. However, try to listen to her story. Was she properly stored and cared for? Batteries disconnected? It may tell you how she was treated during her sailing days. You want a boat that has a good story.

AGMs self-discharge very slowly, but they're also not designed to sit for that long with no charge. A few percentage points per month, iirc. They wouldn't be destroyed, unless they were left connected and a parasitic load took them down below 50%. If they work, I would just run them, until they didn't perform to my expectations. However, you can only expect a couple more years, at most, if not charged regularly.

As for other wear items, I would just plan to replace absolutely everything anyway. Hoses, belts, filters, impellers, etc, etc. This way you know how old your wearables are.

Congrats on the new boat!
RichH likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in