So... I have sort of a situation - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 133 Old 06-04-2016

Re: So... I have sort of a situation

I thought I might find a local news story about this, but was surprised not to. Ironically, there are online references to S/V Zeus, from a decade ago, that refer to her then as a mold infested, bastardized, hulk. Your friend seems to have more bravado than brains.

I suppose, for soap opera reasons, I'm also interested in how a tow ship just drops a line and takes off. The idea of dropping multiple anchors doesn't make any sense either, they would just foul each other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 133 Old 06-04-2016

Another irresponsible jackass giving sailboaters a bad name.

Did your friend get a title search done to make sure he is actually getting ownership? Did he check for mechanics liens?

This WILL become an ever bigger mess.
Stupid is as stupid does
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.
post #43 of 133 Old 06-04-2016

"Retrospectively I regret doing what most of the people said. Now, this is a much bigger problem. "

Not your problem at all, I would never have agreed to go back with him.
I bet there is a whole lot more as to why the first tow got "dropped".
Most everybody gave you good advice - Don't get involved!
As far as your buddy, he reminds me of a perfect saying for this case - "Could be broke and still have more money than brains!"
You warned him and he didn't listen. I'd leave him to deal with the mess all on his own. Might actually learn something if you don't clean up for him.

post #44 of 133 Old 06-04-2016

I'm confused. You seem to be contradicting yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMSVictory View Post
Update : I did not help him, but someone else did...I Drove the tow boat from ft Lauderdale...
You say you did not help him, but you drove the tow boat for him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMSVictory View Post
...after giving the guy another substantial dose of te typical cowardly sail net type BS(run away, it's over your head , your a silly man who should just be a good little boy and get a catalina 25 efc)...Retrospectively I regret doing what most of the people said. Now, this is a much bigger problem.
You claim that this forum's level-headed advice to walk away was BS, but retrospectively you regret doing what you did? But you didn't to what "most of the people said," because you didn't walk away.

From what I see here, this is a mess that you helped create. Good luck getting out of it.

This kind of stuff gives sailors a bad name.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #45 of 133 Old 06-04-2016

Looking at that pic, I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up costing 30-40k by the time the lift is repaired and the hull is hauled off/salvaged. Spoiler alert : If it stays in the water on an anchor, it's going to happen again.

That's a pretty expensive trip down to Ft. Lauderdale !

--------------------
1984 Starwind 22
"Julianne"
post #46 of 133 Old 06-04-2016
Superior Sailor

I've always liked the stories that start out with... "I have this Friend"...

Right up there with..." Hold my beer and watch this "...
Fau and rckfd like this.

"Might as well take 'er out...If anything is gonna happen...It's gonna happen out there..."
"Captin Ron"
post #47 of 133 Old 06-04-2016

Is anyone left wondering why Florida recently passed the no anchor law for certain areas?
This episode will just add gas to the fire to expand the no anchor law.
Why do we even offer advice in situations like this? Maybe because we (I know I do) enjoy watching a train wreck as along as no one is harmed.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #48 of 133 Old 06-04-2016
One of None

This whole thing is a crock of sheet ,. Hey HMS V, Be a friend a tell us the REAL STORY!
oysterman23 likes this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #49 of 133 Old 06-04-2016

I don't believe a single word this guy says.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #50 of 133 Old 06-04-2016

There could be more (or less) than shear stupidity.going on. Reminds me of our local nemesis ' Captain' Ron Cook, who for an under the table fee will take the papers of large derelict vessels which then mysteriously sink or burn or just run ashore.From Oregon to the tip of Vancouver Island there are hulks with his name on them. Makes a resonable living apparently, sort of a niche market of skills. Personally ,I bet this isn't the case in Florida because these boys ain't bright enough.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in