Yahoo, a wahoo! - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-02-2016 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Yahoo, a wahoo!

It's been quite a while since I've seen a wahoo. Even when I was sportfishing daily in the Keys they certainly weren't plentiful, but when you specifically wanted one you put on a black and red feather lure and cranked up the boat to ten or 12 knots. But down here between the islands or sailing windward side, they are the last thing I expect, especially on a green and yellow dolphin lure. Barracuda (on blue and white), sure every day. A tuna or a dolphin once in a while, but catching the elusive wahoo is just not a common occurrence. And one near on 40 pounds, well that's a once in a decade catch on a sailboat around here!
"Fish on" is our call to arms. Nikki goes aft and begins to haul in the 'meat line', a hand line with 500# test line kind of camo colored, and roller bearing swivel connectors. A 12' length of shock cord takes the jolt of a hook up and it's just a matter of pulling in whatever is hooked. We don't stop the boat or even slow her down to bring in a fish, just hand over hand with gloves. This wahoo was pretty easy to get up to the boat as it's torpedo shaped and it couldn't get it's head turned, unlike a tuna or dolphin. As it neared the boat it was immediately apparent that this was not just another barracuda, all be it a very large one. It was lit up like Times Square on New Year's eve, neon blue vertical stripes ablaze. There was no way this fish was coming aboard without the gaff, so I scurried below to get the ornamental gold pole (up to this point) that has been secured to the overhead hand rails in the salon for years.
The razor sharp tip of the gaff slid effortlessly into the fish just behind the gills, but it required both of us to lift it aboard. Golly gee this was a big fish, perhaps 25 pounds, I was thinking (remember, I'm getting old!). We'll eat well for a few days.
Poor Nikki could not even lift it for pictures, but to give her some credit, this fish was nearly as long as she was tall, the deck was pretty slippery with fish slime, and we were sailing the windward side in 15 to 20 knots of wind. So we used the mizzen staysail halyard (with my sportfishing scale) to get the weight and pics. Long tiring fish cleaning story short, we ended up with 27 wahoo steaks, which we distributed to the immigration and customs officials in Rodney Bay, the sailmaker who has cared for our sails when they needed it, the laundry lady, Gregory the vegetable and fruit guy, and a few friends anchored in the bay.
However, the highlight of the whole experience was taking a some of the steaks into Bosun's in the marina, and asking them to grill up a couple of them for us and keep the rest. Though I love grilled food, I just never learned how and wahoo is best grilled, for sure. So, for the price of a couple of side orders and our drinks, we ate like royalty, and had no dishes to clean afterwards.
The steaks left in the fridge will be used to perfect our Teriyaki marinade and each bite will be enjoyed with a little thank you to Neptune for his kindness to Skipping Stone and her crew.
On a side note, we had a HUGE current along the north side of St Vincent and down to the Pitons, so we managed the trip, still w/o an engine, in a shade over 12 hours, lee and all.
Attached Thumbnails
nikki holding up the wahoo edit.jpg   27 wahoo fish steaks 5-29-16 edit.jpg  

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-02-2016

Re: Yahoo, a wahoo!

Congrats... I am of envy of you two right now!

Yes we would like to catch those as well as mahi, tarpon, and the elusive tuna... great eating fish. Those wahoo steaks look awesome... enjoy!
post #3 of 15 Old 06-03-2016

Capta, believe it or not on charter we've taken one going south from Bequia. Given how little we know about what we are doing it was a complete surprise.

Picked up the hand line from that little shop in Bequia on that trip, luckily with a wire leader. It was NO were near as big as the one you caught! No gaff, bare feet, an open transom bene, and just me and my wife. We've also caught small tuna same spot. The who are beautiful in the water when they lite up. Used some rum to calm it, which was amazingly effective on both the fish and crew.

Nice going!!!! Man that Wahoo is BIG!

post #4 of 15 Old 06-03-2016

Capt & codda you guys didn't happen to hit the MOB on the gps when you hit those fish did ya? If you did feel free to personal email them to me I'll give you my spot for fluke off Cuttyhunk and little bonito off Normans.

Capt is Niki your granddaughter or do us old farts owe you a "adda boy"? ;-)
post #5 of 15 Old 06-03-2016

Yahoo, a wahoo!-thumb_caribean2005-020_1024.jpg

No spot burning here. But I could use those numbers off Nomans. Blue fin season is almost here.
guitarguy56 likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-03-2016

We hooked into a nice sized Mahi Mahi between Union Island and Carriacou a number of years back.. Same sort of setup, hand line and shock cord but no real expectation of catching anything (we were reaching along at 8-9 knots) but suddenly it was 'Fish on!'... complete with a tailstand well back in the wake.

We pinched up to slow a bit and started hauling line hand over hand. No resistance whatsoever and we thought we'd lost it. But, then the fluorescent flash and we had the fish in sight and trailing docilely behind the boat. But now, a problem.. no gaff, no net, what to do? Also no way to release it in the water..

So I opened the transom lifeline, leaned over for as good a grip as I could get and yanked the poor thing into the cockpit.

Docile???? not any more. The poor fish went berserk, flailing about the cockpit, slashing open a water bag, until we were able to subdue it.

We did the same, took it to a local beachfront restaurant in Carriacou and traded the bulk of the fish for dinner for ourselves. It's our daughter-in-law's 'Fish story for life'.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #7 of 15 Old 06-03-2016

That is one nice catch!... I mean... mahi mahi.

Not as yellow/green as I've seen them in other photos of mahi's but a very beautiful fish nonetheless... Your right about your daughter-in-law having this fish catching memory forever.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-03-2016 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We hooked into a nice sized Mahi Mahi between Union Island and Carriacou a number of years back.. Same sort of setup, hand line and shock cord but no real expectation of catching anything (we were reaching along at 8-9 knots) but suddenly it was 'Fish on!'... complete with a tailstand well back in the wake.

We pinched up to slow a bit and started hauling line hand over hand. No resistance whatsoever and we thought we'd lost it. But, then the fluorescent flash and we had the fish in sight and trailing docilely behind the boat. But now, a problem.. no gaff, no net, what to do? Also no way to release it in the water..

So I opened the transom lifeline, leaned over for as good a grip as I could get and yanked the poor thing into the cockpit.

Docile???? not any more. The poor fish went berserk, flailing about the cockpit, slashing open a water bag, until we were able to subdue it.

We did the same, took it to a local beachfront restaurant in Carriacou and traded the bulk of the fish for dinner for ourselves. It's our daughter-in-law's 'Fish story for life'.
Nice bull dolphin! Congrats.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 15 Old 06-03-2016

Most of us have a fishy tail or two .Heres one of mine. Sailing my beach built Ja Pi Nai near a group of Thai fishermen I see a sparkle way to windward. Getting to that area ,I drop sail to look about Standing in the bow (17 ft'er) I see a large fish breaking surface to leap past me straight up. A hand in each gill brought it inboard (5' 8").Big applause from the locals and took it .(Golden Queenfish,by the fish poster) to a restaurant in Koh Jum .All ate well. I suspect the fish had taken a hook,shook it and was acting strange because of the tooth ache. Nearly as much fun as jigging halibut from my home made canvas kayak (but that's another story or two)

Last edited by Capt Len; 06-03-2016 at 01:32 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-03-2016 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckfd View Post
Capt & codda you guys didn't happen to hit the MOB on the gps when you hit those fish did ya? If you did feel free to personal email them to me I'll give you my spot for fluke off Cuttyhunk and little bonito off Normans.

Capt is Niki your granddaughter or do us old farts owe you a "adda boy"? ;-)
Fishing is always good between Bequia and the Tobago Cays, keeping in mind that the farther east one is the better the fishing. The Bequia Channel, is also excellent fishing, but usually rougher.
Biggest problem now is the weed being blown in, but if you take the trouble to keep it off your line, the fish travel with it.
As for numbers, it was an area where two currents converged and that moves around a bit, but if the set is generally north, it's not a big area. I'll try and put up something, but internet here sucks so it will take time.
Wife, crew, cook, engineer, rigger, electrician, plumber, and bottom (boat, I'm not THAT old yet) cleaner. Girl's gonna be one hell of a captain pretty soon. Oh yeah, and fisherperson!
capecodda likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in