Did I break boat buying etiquette? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 06-06-2016

Re: Did I break boat buying etiquette?

I have one of these...
http://tinyurl.com/jhqacwf

Extraordinarily cheap in the grand scheme of things, and I find that no one EVER objects to me tapping the deck of a boat with one of these. Whereas for some reason, if you use the end of a screwdriver, or worse yet, a hammer, people DO seem to sometimes object.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 06-06-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I have one of these...
http://tinyurl.com/jhqacwf

Extraordinarily cheap in the grand scheme of things, and I find that no one EVER objects to me tapping the deck of a boat with one of these. Whereas for some reason, if you use the end of a screwdriver, or worse yet, a hammer, people DO seem to sometimes object.
That's awesome! I was considering a jeweler's hammer like this

Amazon.com: Hawk 25MM Dual Head Nylon Rubber Hammer Jewelers Metal Mallet: Home & Kitchen

Also thought about a moisture meter, but the sub $100 ones don't seem to have good results.
post #13 of 31 Old 06-06-2016

I guess it depends on how hard you were hitting the deck with the screwdriver. Maybe he thought you could do damage. Only takes a light tap. You are listening for a change in the sound - sharp vs hollow sounding. You really should ask the owner or broker about doing this before you start pounding on the boat.

I have an inexpensive Ryobi moisture meter. Works great. No longer made but refurbished ones show up on Amazon from time to time.
newt likes this.

post #14 of 31 Old 06-06-2016

I would be careful about walking away from a good deal on a boat just because you were (rightly) put-off by the salesman's attitude. Sometimes you have to persevere to get a great deal on something. I'd request to speak to the guy's boss, explain what you're doing, mention that you CAN afford the boat, and that you would merely like to discover any obvious flaws before paying a surveyor to come out for a thorough pre-purchase inspection.
post #15 of 31 Old 06-06-2016

This one is hard to figure out without being there. Your asking about protocol, so here's MHO.

On the one hand, I've personally witnessed brokers at a boat show shun a friend of mine. We were clean, not scruffy, but in jeans and t-shirts. My buddy could have afforded any boat in the show, and was seriously shopping at the time. Not smart. The good brokers know better.

On the other hand, after buying too many boats, my tendency is to start with the bilge and the engine and ignore the pretty stuff until that passes a cursory inspection. I would ask a broker's permission before lifting floor boards, and removing companionway ladders to get at stuff, as it might be viewed as somewhat intrusive. I've even got the plastic mallet. Again I'd ask permission first, as it could be viewed as destructive if the broker wasn't sure of buyer's abilities. I've never had a broker say no, but I've been clear about my intension to not harm the seller's property, and clear that I'm doing the a quick pass to determine if the boat is worth further examination, not the full survey. And, I'm only this looking close because I'm very serious about this boat.

Good luck on your continued shopping.
post #16 of 31 Old 06-06-2016
Barquito

Just regarding tapping on the boat: It is possible to do damage. My inspector crunched the gel coat where there was an underlying blister. However, we already had earnest money down on the boat (and, frankly, it was hard to avoid all the blisters!). I guess you need to clear it with the nut-sack broker before you properly examine one of his boats.

Valiant 32
post #17 of 31 Old 06-06-2016

I think others have covered it well, but in brief:

- Don't go aboard a boat unless you have permission.

- It is also polite to ask before you start removing bilge covers, sail covers, poke around, tap with a hammer, etc. But it is an entirely reasonable request, and would be very unusual to be refused. But as they say in Yorkshire "ther's nowt so queer as folk".

- It is very rude, presumptuous and unprofessional for the broker to have treated you in the way that they did. Escalating the situation is entirely appropriate; personally I would take the broker to one side, explain that you are serious buyer, you have the cash and experience, and simply wanted to closely examine the boat before taking things further. And then if required escalate to the manager or seller. I generally like giving people the benefit of the doubt; perhaps he was having a bad day, got irritated and over-reacted. No excuse but better to have him on your side. But having said that, my strongest feeling is to keelhaul the SOB...;-)

Good luck and hope you find a boat that makes your heart sing!
post #18 of 31 Old 06-06-2016

To follow-up on the article about doing a pre-survey, any recommendation for a reliable and yet not too expensive fiberglass moisture meter ? The CT-33 is now $199.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 31 Old 06-06-2016
Not Finished Yet

We have been boat shopping and about 1 in 4 boats we call on or look at the owner/broker immediately makes us want to storm off. There are a lot of people selling boats with very poor social skills. Just have to hold your nose and wade through the stink.

post #20 of 31 Old 06-06-2016
Otter

Not really the same, but I recently bought a new truck and the GMC dealer treated me like trash. I was initially looking for a mid range crew cab truck without the high end bells and whistles. When I wanted to compare them, he told me there's no point in looking because it's out of my price range so he's not wasting his time, and his father is a retired veteran that makes hardly any money, so he has an idea of my pay. I made sure the tell the manager that while I was looking for a midrange, I can most defining tell afford the high end and that I recieved my retro pay from the VA and COULD HAVE bought the damned thing in cash if I wanted. Keep in mind, the guy didn't even run my credit and assumed because I didn't want leather and TV screens in the head rests that I had no money. I told him I'll be sure to let the VFW and Legion know how veterans are treated. Needles to say, went to another dealer and drove off in a new F150. Find another dealer. Plenty would love to do business with you.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in