when to get out of sailing? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 Old 06-19-2016
Administrator

Re: when to get out of sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
This doesnt include your time ... Your time is worth nothing, you are just the unpaid labor maintaining the boat..
I suppose that depends on what your hobby is. My Dad sold his last boat in his early 80's when he took up criss-crossing the country in an RV for the better part of a decade. He still talks longingly about that boat and occasionally mentions getting a small boat to work on because he enjoyed working on boats so much. I don't think he actually thinks of sailing that small boat so his hobby would be working on that boat.

Similarly, I went sailing with a fellow who built the most elegantly finished Bolger sailing skiffs. When I met him he had finished the second of these but had not sailed either of them so I went sailing with him to show him how to rig the second boat and sail her.

During the sail it came out that this was the second one he had built and that someone wanted to buy this one and he was thinking of building a third one.

I was totally perplexed by that but he explained that his hobby was building things out of wood and so working on these boats was his hobby, not sailing them.

Jus' say'n
Jeff
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-19-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 Old 06-19-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I suppose that depends on what your hobby is.

Jus' say'n
Jeff
I met a guy the other day. We are the exact same age. We retired exactly 8 years ago. He bought a project boat which has just been finished and he just arrived in the Caribbean.

8 years ago i flew out to the Caribbean bought a turn key boat and have done a circumnavigation and continue to bum around the world.

My life has been vastly better imho.

Each to their own

Mark
RTB likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #13 of 33 Old 06-19-2016

roky, rent a boat when you feel like sailing, after you sell yours. Sure it's not the same thing as sailing your own boat, but it's still sailing and you won't be chained, financially, to the boat.

post #14 of 33 Old 06-19-2016

Quote:
I suppose that depends on what your hobby is. My Dad sold his last boat in his early 80's when he took up criss-crossing the country in an RV for the better part of a decade. He still talks longingly about that boat and occasionally mentions getting a small boat to work on because he enjoyed working on boats so much. I don't think he actually thinks of sailing that small boat so his hobby would be working on that boat.

Similarly, I went sailing with a fellow who built the most elegantly finished Bolger sailing skiffs. When I met him he had finished the second of these but had not sailed either of them so I went sailing with him to show him how to rig the second boat and sail her.

During the sail it came out that this was the second one he had built and that someone wanted to buy this one and he was thinking of building a third one.

I was totally perplexed by that but he explained that his hobby was building things out of wood and so working on these boats was his hobby, not sailing them.

Jus' say'n
Jeff
Yeah it really helps to understand your motivations about things. When I was in medical school I lived in a house full of classmates and we all got into certain things at various times, including sailing, model rocketry, and radio controlled model aircraft.

With one of our housemates, it was clear that with R/C aircraft 90 percent of the appeal was the wailing and gnashing of teeth associated with putting them together and repairing them after a crash.

While I received some gratification from the few that I built, the building was mostly just a necessary evil and I was just as happy when they came out with models that you could put together in an hour or two and fly right away, the flying was the thing for me.
post #15 of 33 Old 06-19-2016
Master Mariner

Quote:

Jus' say'n
Jeff
I've met a few guys like that. The first was a true craftsman who spent 5 or 6 years building the most beautiful wooden boats in Sausalito. As soon as they hit the water he completely lost interest in them and a few fortunate people picked up incredible boats for a song, while he was already starting on his next one. I don't think he ever sailed on one of his boats.
As you said, not my style either, but........

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #16 of 33 Old 06-19-2016

If I could only sail ten days per year/season, I'd bag it.
post #17 of 33 Old 06-19-2016

Now that I think about it, I may have only gone out 10 days last year. But for me, the important thing is that for the entire year, 365 days, I was a boat owner. I worked on projects in the slip, brought home pieces to work on, did a bunch of re-wiring, took apart some major engine components, and when I wasn't doing those things I read about sailing, thought about sailing, and made plans for sailing.

I was originally going to say that the $100 per day isn't the right math to be doing. For me, the total number per year is the only thing that matters. If I can afford the total cost per year, then I'm in. Obviously I try to get out as much as possible, but even if it's not much I still get a tremendous value out of owning a boat.

As Mark said, each to his own.
Heinous likes this.

Last edited by scratchee; 06-23-2016 at 09:53 PM.
post #18 of 33 Old 06-20-2016

You could keep it and make it a charter boat. You can reserve it for the times you want to sail it and the rest of the time the charter agent offers it to charter customers and the charter fees help offset your expenses.
post #19 of 33 Old 06-20-2016
Captain Obvious

Some day you may find yourself staring across the harbor at the sailboats swinging in the wind, and wishing yours was still there.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #20 of 33 Old 06-20-2016

If we started using our present boat less than say, 30 days and nights per season, I'd think it was time to consider selling. The cost per day isn't something I'd consider until I knew it was time to sell.

And then there is the work. If you don't enjoy what you're doing, it would be drudgery. Time I spend that I enjoy(most of the work I do on a boat), I see that time spent as an asset to life.

Once it becomes a liability only, I know it's time (for me), to get a different boat.

In the end it's not about the boat (again-for me), it's the sailing. It's always been the sailing that I crave and go find. I figure I'll always need a boat for that. The boat will be whatever fits, at that time.

I think you're making the right decision.

On the other hand, I have a good friend with a beautiful old wooden boat that is much more demanding than most. His father owned that boat. He's sailed his whole life. Sailing is in his blood. He's considering selling the boat because(he said), "It owns you".

Sure. But your 'stuff' can do that. He's just in a rough spot in his family life. His notion will pass.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in