SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   when to get out of sailing? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/256850-when-get-out-sailing.html)

roky 06-19-2016 07:12 AM

when to get out of sailing?

perhaps a stupid question, but its been long on my mind -- my boat costs me $1000/year, for storage, i have a free mooring, and i do all my own maintenance -- i know thats a bargain by most standards, but not sure for me -- i'm 68, fixed income of 45k, no debt, 2 modest homes, good health, and i enjoy my time on my classic pearson triton -- but due to a very full, enjoyable, life on shore, as a musician, i only get out about 10 days per season, which i calculate at $100/day -- i'm guilty of being cheap, its inherited i guess, but i have trouble justifying that expense, when i think of other things i could spend that $ on -- ???

bob

Minnewaska 06-19-2016 07:41 AM

Re: when to get out of sailing?

There is a difference between being cheap and not being able to responsibly afford something. Not enough info to help you with the judgement. If the money would just divert to another pleasure, is sailing important enough to you? 10 days is probably average by the looks of every marina I've ever been in. Although, we've admittedly been out for more than 10 days already this season.

I have my daughter aboard for Fathers Day. She's sleeping below right now. We sailed all afternoon yesterday, with absolutely no destination in mind. When we tired of it, we dropped the anchor. Swinging in the sunshine and blue skis as I type. Can't put a dollar value on this for me.

JimsCAL 06-19-2016 07:50 AM

Sail more.

Jeff_H 06-19-2016 08:08 AM

No one can answer that question for you. As Minnewaska answer says the answer lies in how valuable your time on the water is to you personally.

I personally cannot imagine not owning a boat. But that is just me. There were people who could not understand why I continued to own a boat at a time when I was struggling to simply pay my mortgage.. One of the most depressing low points during the recession was considering selling my boat, but even at that point I fully expected to buy a smaller less expensive boat.

I am only a couple years younger than you, and even if there comes a time when I can't handle a boat this size by myself, I have always figured I'd own an "old man's boat". Something small, simple and easy to sail. And even if I did not sail her as much as I would like, just knowing I can get out for a sail or piddle around would be comforting in my old age. But maybe that's just me.

Jeff

MarkofSeaLife 06-19-2016 08:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by roky (Post 3544842)
, i only get out about 10 days per season, which i calculate at $100/day -- i'm guilty of being cheap, its inherited i guess, but i have trouble justifying that expense, when i think of other things i could spend that $ on -- ???

bob

You have vastly underestimated the expense for those 10 days per season.
This doesnt include your time ... Your time is worth nothing, you are just the unpaid labor maintaining the boat.
The other cash expenses for travel to/from the boat, antifouling, oils, filter and expendables, chandelry junk, deteriating sails, running gear... Lost oportunity cost. I like the last one: damn accountant speak.

So unless you can ballance all that stuff, those 10 days are just an anchor to your ever diminshing life.

Think about it this season and then maybe sell the boat. Or sell it now.

deniseO30 06-19-2016 09:06 AM

I made the decision about 2 years ago. Roky you already quit, just want others to say it for you.

pdqaltair 06-19-2016 09:39 AM

When the fun to suck ratio is less than 1. Yes, money is a factor, but it sounds like a smallish one that might be over-weighted in your head.

For you, I think it probably comes down to whether you feel good about having the boat or whether it gets you down. However, I don't think it should be guilt over the expense.

----

I almost bailed a few times when I was very busy with work and had shoulder problems. But then I took a few long trips and my outlook changed. I've walked away from a number of activities (skiing, climbing) only to go back to them. I think the best advise is to get out a little more this summer, and then decide. If you can't make yourself get out and don't find your self enjoying it, then Denise30 is right.

RobGallagher 06-19-2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roky (Post 3544842)
perhaps a stupid question, but its been long on my mind -- my boat costs me $1000/year, for storage, i have a free mooring, and i do all my own maintenance -- i know thats a bargain by most standards, but not sure for me -- i'm 68, fixed income of 45k, no debt, 2 modest homes, good health, and i enjoy my time on my classic pearson triton -- but due to a very full, enjoyable, life on shore, as a musician, i only get out about 10 days per season, which i calculate at $100/day -- i'm guilty of being cheap, its inherited i guess, but i have trouble justifying that expense, when i think of other things i could spend that $ on -- ???

bob

You will get a lot of answers here. I'll add mine.

How much are those 10 days really worth to you?
Do you love to sail? Do you get a major recharge of energy and sense of relaxation when it's over?

One an pay $2000 for a bottle of whiskey and savor it. Some people own classic cars they rarely drive, but often polish. Others may pay a stable to keep their horse, maybe they ride once a week for an hour or two.

Finally, I don't get out as much as I like, but every time I do it changes me just a little bit inside. I learn something and it makes me a different person. it recharges my batteries and I feel better about myself.

Some days I even force myself to go to the boat and take it out. I'm tired from work, I can think of other things I need to do, or I tell myself I need a day on the couch. Or, I even go to the boat and look at that list of little projects that need to be done, procrastinate actually sailing.

However, once I'm out there I always remind myself that I was right to get out there.

It's a good low impact workout, it's good for your brain and it's good for your soul.

MikeOReilly 06-19-2016 10:01 AM

When it stops being fun.

OK, pdqaltair detailed this better, but basically if it ain't fun anymore (and it sounds like it's not), then why bother? There are lots of things to do in this life. If sailing no longer does it for you, move on. No biggy.

roky 06-19-2016 10:10 AM

wow, such helpful answers, all, thanks very much for taking the time to respond

while i went for my walk, i came to a conclusion -- sailing has become for me like hiking the grand canyon, or climbing my favorite mountain: fantastic when i'm doing it, but not something i want to do more than once/twice per year -- and i will freely admit that i'm at a point where "been there, done that" applies to much of the old thrills -- i've definitely been fortunate enough to often have said "it doesn't get any better than this" -- but i'm also at a point where just entertaining myself doesn't do it for me -- i'd probably get a bigger kick out of giving that 1000 to the next hard working family i come across in mexico -- really -- (fortunately, my wife would stop me) -- and then walk downtown and sit in the sun on the plaza, watching the palm trees sway in the breeze

what can i say, once a hippie, always a hippie?

yeah, i'm gonna sell her