All things boat-related in Brooklin, ME - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-21-2016 Thread Starter

All things boat-related in Brooklin, ME

Hi,

I might have a day or two to visit Brooklin, Maine. Can someone recommend some things to do to take in as much as this boating Mecca has to offer? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-22-2016

Re: All things boat-related in Brooklin, ME

Brooklin is pretty small. There's a library with original drawings from some of E.B. White's books. A tree-lined street. A General Store. A low-key but nice Yacht Club, and Woodenboat. At Woodenboat, inspecting the store and all the classes and projects going on took us a good couple of hours when we went. There's also a boatyard, but they're trying to focus on business, not tourists. Also in the area are Belfast - a much bigger town with interesting shops, Searsport, which has a renowned museum, Bucks Harbor, where there's a good restaurant, and Blue Hill, where you can find the oil paintings, cheese, wine, patť and other trinkets you forgot to get in East Hampton, NY when you were there last. .
The Following User Says Thank You to paulk For This Useful Post:
Will_Co (06-23-2016)
post #3 of 13 Old 06-22-2016

Maybe you could get a tour of Brooklin Boat. I have a friend who is parts manager there.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-23-2016 Thread Starter

Is Brooklin Boat the same thing as Brooklin Boatyard? That would be a real treat!
post #5 of 13 Old 06-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Co View Post
Is Brooklin Boat the same thing as Brooklin Boatyard? That would be a real treat!
yeah.... but I don't know if they give tours. And my friend would shoot me if I gave you his name. Call them and ask.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-23-2016
One of None

Camden and Stonington are my fav places, windjammers are my most loved of things to do but, because of the high cost, I tend to sit on the wharf eating lobstah roll while watching to see if any of the skippers need my advice lol
seabeau likes this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #7 of 13 Old 06-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
...., I tend to sit on the wharf eating lobstah roll while watching to see if any of the skippers need my advice lol
Do they need your advice?
post #8 of 13 Old 06-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Z, that one went right over your head? Maybe only women skippers know what it means? You've never been given "advice" from watchers on the dock, wharf. or even the ones on-board other boats?
No... You have to understand:

1. I haven't sailed actively since I was 16 on a friend of my father's boat with the friends 12 year old kid. This makes my experience a newbie, expect for the experiences I actually have had, which people tend to be glad that it didn't happen to them, or to argue with me that it didn't really happen that way(which is ridiculous of course).

2. I had a break of 50 years where I wished I could sail, bought and read every book on sailing, got every magazine, and visited every show, but didn't actually sail, because I didn't have money to buy one and put it anywhere. I almost build one. I bought the plans even.

3. I do belong to yacht club, but there is rarely anyone there, and all our boats are moored. Mine is moored 1000 feet out into the channel from the dock.

So.... You are right. I have no idea what the secret language you used actually means.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Co View Post
That's the place. We dinghied in there for a look around, but most of the boats were out on moorings or gone cruising for the summer. The building shed was totally empty, with nothing going on and no one around. If they have something under construction it will likely be a different scene.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-23-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
That's the place. We dinghied in there for a look around, but most of the boats were out on moorings or gone cruising for the summer. The building shed was totally empty, with nothing going on and no one around. If they have something under construction it will likely be a different scene.
They are continually building boats. You must have gone to the wrong place.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in