How do I get this boat in my name and registered? - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 06-21-2016 Thread Starter

How do I get this boat in my name and registered?

I bought a boat that wasnt registered or documented since 2009. Could swear I inspected the title before buying, but the previous owner must have pulled it from the file before handing it over. In 2009 boat was Fl registered and uscg documented. I have last documentation certificate and Bill os not notarized hand written. Last registration sticker still on the mast. When I called the FWC they said they had record of the boat, but that it was not FL titled and as a result they could not access records of the title at all. I know that it was built in Washington state , but left there a long time ago and has been in Miami for decades. I can not renew uscg without notarized bill OS and signed over certificate none of which was done and precious owner is not helpful. I can not renew Florida registration without his SsN. What am I supposed to do to get this boat registered and in my name! Seems like every route I try to take tag agencies uscg tax collector etc i hit roadblocks I can't get over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-21-2016

Re: How do I get this boat in my name and registered?

First off if it had a FL registration sticker on it it was titled at some time in Florida. If not what state was the sticker from? It is not going to be easy. You could try the abandoned property route check the fwc website.
post #3 of 36 Old 06-21-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw7 View Post
First off if it had a FL registration sticker on it it was titled at some time in Florida. If not what state was the sticker from? It is not going to be easy. You could try the abandoned property route check the fwc website.
Are you sure? Even if it was a Coast Guard documented vessel? They are supposedly Titleless.i've looked all over every website for the last four months and can't figure it out. That's why im posting here. I heard the Coast Guard are coming to inspect the boats at the Anchorage soon I don't want to lose it

post #4 of 36 Old 06-21-2016

If it was USCG documented in 2009 there will be a record, but you will need proof such as a notarized bill of sale that you bought the boat from the owner of record and that all leans have been satisfied. After the boat has been USCG documented in your name then apply for state registration.

The seller may not want to provide a notarized bill of sale if they are not the owner of record.

Find out from USCG who the owner of record was in 2009 then follow the bread crumbs from that point in time to when you bought the boat.
post #5 of 36 Old 06-21-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
If it was USCG documented in 2009 there will be a record, but you will need proof such as a notarized bill of sale that you bought the boat from the owner of record and that all leans have been satisfied. After the boat has been USCG documented in your name then apply for state registration.

The seller may not want to provide a notarized bill of sale if they are not the owner of record.

Find out from USCG who the owner of record was in 2009 then follow the bread crumbs from that point in time to when you bought the boat.
I know for sure it was the previous owners but liens are a possibility. How could I investigate liens? What if he won't agree to notarized ther bill
post #6 of 36 Old 06-21-2016

In some states there is no title for boats. New York where I am is one. If the boat is documented, that acts as a title. If the seller won't agree to a notarized bill of sale then something is fishy and you have a problem. Time to get your lawyer involved.
post #7 of 36 Old 06-21-2016

I had a similar issue. Seller was uncooperative. Agent lazy...he did have a marina gate key though. Never met such a pair of morons before. I could see from the USCG title report that the title was clear. I had no notarized bill of sale. No notarized USCG document. Called the USCG doc office. They were very helpful and understanding. I don't recall, sitting here, exactly what I did but it was some kind of notarized statement that I guaranteed the transfer was legit. There was to be recourse against me, not the USCG, if it was not. Perhaps it could cause problems if some future owner wanted financing. However the statute of limitations, or whatever, probably clears the title after a while.

Anyway, call the USCG. Tell them your exact problem. Be straight with them. It should all work out.

You can buy a title report/history from the USCG.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #8 of 36 Old 06-21-2016

Simple problem. You don't actually own the boat, but the seller seems to have your money. That was not a good move. Why is this problem coming up now?

You might be able to legally force the seller to comply with ownership transfer. Did you have a contract? They usually require the seller to affect proper title transfer, which is enforceable.

Did you pay by check or cash? Contract or no? Was this theoretically a good deal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 36 Old 06-21-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Simple problem. You don't actually own the boat, but the seller seems to have your money. That was not a good move. Why is this problem coming up now?

You might be able to legally force the seller to comply with ownership transfer. Did you have a contract? They usually require the seller to affect proper title transfer, which is enforceable.

Did you pay by check or cash? Contract or no? Was this theoretically a good deal?
I bought the boat for only a grand with the intent of living aboard and fixing it up. I knew that it was still structurally sound although it looked like **** from neglect. So far it has been a good deal. I've saved 4 months rent living on it and I've learned a lot and done a lot while aboard, including my first race( not on my boat, on a neighbor's). It was a good deal because it came with an almost new outboard with like 5 hours of run time. And the boat is full of bronze and high value part out if it comes to that. I also just wanted to get on the water anyway I could and get my foot in and that much is has accomplished. I planned to live aboard for at least two months but it's been 4 and I see no reason to leave.Anyway...it's coming up on here now because I can't figure it out myself but have been concerned and researching for months. I'd actually like to get some sails and take it out!!!I've heard rumors of coast guard raids as hurricane season opens... I am also thinking of moving up , and I have buyers ready but obviously they need this done before they would buy. No contract written bill of sale we both signed and I've saved answering machine recordings of the seller acknowledging I bought it. Paid 1k cash, the seller said he put 1$ on the bill "for tax reasons"... Anyway technically he was giving me the boat and selling me the outboard to push it .

Last edited by HMSVictory; 06-21-2016 at 07:34 PM.
post #10 of 36 Old 06-21-2016

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

So if I read this right you bought the boat 4 months ago and have lived on it that long without intending to registering it or documenting it.

The only reason you are trying to do that now is because your afraid the state/ CG may board you, confiscate your home, not because it is the required thing to do from the jump. So basically you have tried to avoid the charges most of us pay lawfully

Weren't you also involved with that 63 foot McGregor debacle? Is this the same boat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in