Anchoring /mooring question - thoughts - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 07-05-2016

Re: Anchoring /mooring question - thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
----- they squat on public waterways permanantly, taking up all the space leaving transient boats, you know...the ones actually out sailing, with little or no room.
There is no tide on the Indian River Lagoon and most of the squatters on multiple anchors swing very little.
I don't know what experiences you've had to leave you with such a sour disposition towards moorings, but I've been up and down the Florida coast for years (you know, actually out sailing) and I don't recall ever having a problem anchoring because of private moorings.

Public mooring fields such as are in St. Augustine, Marathon, etc., now that's a different story. Easier to just take a mooring in those places.

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 07-05-2016

Where I live and sail, only the very very rich have slips. Everyone else has a mooring that requires us also to have a dinghy to get out to it. The moorings are regulated by the local municipality as to maintenance, and have to be verified as safe.

You don't rent these moorings, because the are owned. I paid about $1000 for mine, and this year I had to pay an additional 270 bucks for maintenance(beyond the $135 normal fee) since the galvanized 1/2 inch chain was no longer galvanized and had worn down to 1/8 of an inch in some spots. Mine is currently at my yacht club which is on the coast in Frenchman's Bay. I also pay an additional $150 a year to be able to have it there so I can access the dock, and the clubhouse. i may pay to have it moved, but i will still pay the maintenance fee, and the town tax for it, just not the additional fee to have it at my yacht club. The main reason for moving would be that the field at the club is rather large(45 boats) and my mooring about 1000 feet from the dock. This is a bit long for rowing a beamy Walker Bay RID, and so needs an outboard; and also to take the boat out of the water I have to truck 6 miles to get to a ramp.

There are plenty of places to anchor but you don't just take a mooring unless you have talked to the Harbor Master first since you can get in a heap of trouble for taking someone's mooring---its called theft, and the harbor police will be involved. We also have to register them with the town and pay a $35 fee.
post #23 of 25 Old 07-05-2016

Places like New Smyrna, Jupiter and Manatee Pocket are full of squatters permanently anchored using most, if not all, of the room. In Cocoa, you have to anchor out near the ICW because all the room closer to shore is full of squatters.

This is like pitching a tent or building a shanty in a public park. The right of anchoring is for "vessels in transit".

post #24 of 25 Old 07-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Places like New Smyrna, Jupiter and Manatee Pocket are full of squatters permanently anchored using most, if not all, of the room. In Cocoa, you have to anchor out near the ICW because all the room closer to shore is full of squatters.

This is like pitching a tent or building a shanty in a public park. The right of anchoring is for "vessels in transit".
In New Smyrna I would anchor in the alternative channel if I wanted to stay there. I've anchored in Manatee Pocket, but not for 3 years or so. Lots of room around Cocoa if you're a transient and don't need to go ashore frequently.

You definitely have a valid point, but I seem to avoid the problem by planning my anchorages in advance, and going to less crowded places. For instance, there's a protected anchorage to the east of the Dragon Point in the Indian River. It's usually crowded, mostly with boats on moorings, so I anchor on the west side of the Dragon (or what's left of it lol) and usually spend a delightful night with maybe 3-4 transient neighbors. If a strong west wind is forecast, I move to the west side of the river.
Too many places to choose from to not choose ones you like.

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran
post #25 of 25 Old 07-06-2016
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
Stay as is

Use two anchors spaced about 20 feet apart with chain running to each and chain running from the middle of the two to an anchor buoy

Use one larger anchor with all chain to buoy

..are all bad choices. Find a spot to legally install a proper mooring or you risk ending up with a trashed boat on a beach.

See https://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...ly-sucked.html

Certified...in several regards...

Last edited by sailingfool; 07-06-2016 at 09:42 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in