Big Boys not paying their fair share? - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 131 Old 07-07-2016
Less Senior Senior Member

Re: Big Boys not paying their fair share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Actually, this whole thread has minimal value other than perhaps to stir-up 'envy'.
The 'big boys' if they want to, and many do, only have to briefly remove and relocate their boats to another state or go out beyond the 3 mile limit and document that removal by receipted purchase in that other state or by documented navigation log, etc. to establish 'removal', reenter ..... and 're-start the grace period all over again'.

Just look what happened in the Annapolis area a few years ago when Maryland proposed large personal property taxes on the 'big boys' .... they simply (briefly) left or threatened to leave the area and the local marine industry immediately began to suffer, immediately followed by the tax revenue receipts from the local 'marine and complimentary industry' taking a nose dive. The proposal was then immediately 'squashed' due to the re-projected impending gross loss of 'revenue'.
Just ask yourself why Rhode Island has such a large amount of boats and vibrantly thriving marine industry in comparison to the adjacent states where 'taxes' are seemingly becoming 'the most important product'. Its the very same reason why emigration of residents and businesses out of the entire northeast is quite rapidly increasing, and many parts of the Southeast and Mid-atlantic now increasingly speak with 'non-rhotic' 'Noo Yawk' or 'Baaaahston' accents. ;-)
That certainly is one of the downsides of 'states' rights'. When you have such disparate incentives located close to one another, and don't think about the loopholes well, you get that sort of 'playing in the margins', particularly by those that are either pre-disposed to or are used to doing that.
RichH likes this.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 131 Old 07-07-2016
CF Escapee

Washington State did the same thing about twenty years ago.
They imposed a 10% "Luxury Tax" on larger boat manufacturers.
The whole marine industry took a nosedive until the political critters finally rescinded it.
post #73 of 131 Old 07-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Seriously, if you could use your Google-fu on Rhode Island, it would solve an ongoing discussion. I've tried, without success, but it could be me. On the other hand, I've noticed almost no documented vessels display the sticker.

I do, figuring it can't hurt. I place them at each side of the mast base, but I've never found instructions. I have 6 documented vessels surrounding me at the marina. I'm the only one with the sticker showing, although, I know two of my friends have paid for sure. I just never engaged in the discussion, with the others. I believe 99% just pay the fee and stick them in the drawer as evidence they've paid.
This study guide for an RI boating course states that documented vessels must display the validation sticker. The specific requirement is, I am sure, there somewhere -- either by statute or DEM rule.

Quote:
Documented vessels used primarily in Rhode Island must be registered with the state also. The documentation number will be used as the registration number. The vessel must display the validation decals issued by the state on each side of the vessel where most visible.
https://www.boat-ed.com/rhodeisland/...041_700086938/

post #74 of 131 Old 07-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
That certainly is one of the downsides of 'states' rights'. When you have such disparate incentives located close to one another, and don't think about the loopholes well, you get that sort of 'playing in the margins', particularly by those that are either pre-disposed to or are used to doing that.
Darwin fully explained this: "survival of the fittest". Applies to economics, too.
When states no longer are 'competitive', people simply vote with their feet, etc. NYC/North Jersey area has lost about 5 million 'taxpayers' in the past decade.

Last edited by RichH; 07-07-2016 at 11:43 AM.
post #75 of 131 Old 07-07-2016

"Intentional derogatory references to big boys or the 1% are rude and will illicit response. This is not a safe space."

Guess your neighbors are ok with these types of big boys:

http://www.yachts123.com/2010/08/pol...-causes-a-row/
RichH likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #76 of 131 Old 07-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
Actually, no. You may have missed the question mark in the original title. I was stating the proposition as a possibility, not stating a definitive opinion. I was certainly thinking then (as now) that it is a possibility that some of the owners were deliberately or carelessly failing to pay. However, in my original post and in subsequent posts, I acknowledged other explanations are just as possible.
I didn't miss it, it's right there in my quote of the thread title. A question mark is a very small fig leaf that doesn't cover the assumption behind the title. By your logic, you'd be okay with me starting a thread titled, "Does user mstern cheat on his taxes?"
RichH likes this.
post #77 of 131 Old 07-07-2016
Less Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Darwin fully explained this: "survival of the fittest". Applies to economics, too.
When states no longer are 'competitive', people simply vote with their feet, etc. NYC/North Jersey area has lost about 5 million 'taxpayers' in the past decade.
Competitive means different things to different people. I look at the Forbes rankings for 'business friendly' and the bottom half of the list is mostly the nice places to live. Hamilton would look at this and argue that it is a failure of the Federal government to regulate interstate commerce adequately.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #78 of 131 Old 07-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
This study guide for an RI boating course states that documented vessels must display the validation sticker. The specific requirement is, I am sure, there somewhere -- either by statute or DEM rule.

https://www.boat-ed.com/rhodeisland/...041_700086938/
Thanks. Closest thing I've seen to date. But still haven't seen anything from the State itself and one can't expect boaters to check a random study guide.

No wonder most don't display the sticker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #79 of 131 Old 07-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
Competitive means different things to different people. I look at the Forbes rankings for 'business friendly' and the bottom half of the list is mostly the nice places to live. Hamilton would look at this and argue that it is a failure of the Federal government to regulate interstate commerce adequately.
Hamilton was federalist who advocated immense central government control.

I prefer Jefferson who countered (and was 'predominant' - for about 225 years) Hamilton by advocating a stronger representative republic - something to do with a more open, decentralized 'democracy', with the representatives of 'the people' in control of a minimal/restricted central authority. Something to do with freedom and pursuit of happiness, opportunity, and preservation of individual & property rights.

It does look like Hamilton 'won' after all, after ~225 years, huh?
post #80 of 131 Old 07-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Thanks. Closest thing I've seen to date. But still haven't seen anything from the State itself and one can't expect boaters to check a random study guide.

No wonder most don't display the sticker.
Oh for crying out loud! Here is the regulation. It's not very hard to understand. Although most people would just assume that when the state gives you a sticker for your boat, the state wants you to actually stick the sticker on your boat.

Quote:
When a vessel has been documented by the U.S. Coast Guard, the vessel must follow federal laws and regulations with regards to the display of documentation numbers, and the assigned registration decals must be placed on each side of the forward half of the vessel where the decals are distinctly visible. It is acceptable for a documented vessel to place the registration decal in an area other than the hull of the vessel. For example, a window or the windshield may be used.
http://www.dem.ri.gov/pubs/regs/regs...e/boats14t.pdf
Sal Paradise likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in