Big Boys not paying their fair share? - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 131 Old 07-07-2016
Less Senior Senior Member

Re: Big Boys not paying their fair share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Hamilton was federalist who advocated immense central government control.

I prefer Jefferson who countered (and was 'predominant' - for about 225 years) Hamilton by advocating a stronger representative republic - something to do with a more open, decentralized 'democracy', with the representatives of 'the people' in control of a minimal/restricted central authority. Something to do with freedom and pursuit of happiness, opportunity, and preservation of individual & property rights.

It does look like Hamilton 'won' after all, after ~225 years, huh?
At least on Broadway.
I think we've actually had a relatively good balance over the first 180. I'm not sure that Jefferson was predominant, and certainly Hamilton won out in the initial formation of the government. Even Jefferson used Hamiltonian ideas during his presidency. It's only recently (1980-present) that the debate has become more binary again, and Jeffersonians have a habit of picking his words, yet ignoring his actions. He was far more complex than what he said, particularly when parsed.
jwing likes this.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 131 Old 07-07-2016
bell ringer

Funny the things that will get fought over and start a pissing battle on a forum. Stupid little things that should be let go, but are instead treated like they truly are important items for a side to "win".

I wonder if some of you are really married to each other and are keeping it secret?
mstern, Sal Paradise and jwing like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 131 Old 07-07-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStream View Post
I didn't miss it, it's right there in my quote of the thread title. A question mark is a very small fig leaf that doesn't cover the assumption behind the title. By your logic, you'd be okay with me starting a thread titled, "Does user mstern cheat on his taxes?"
For some reason beyond my understanding, you have chosen to assume that I did not intend for that question mark, nor the writing in the actual post, to mean what it says. I've reread my original post and my follow ups, and I don't think I could be clearer on what I wrote. By sheer chance, I noticed something that I thought interesting: a concentration of large boats didn't have valid registration stickers. I wondered why.

In my original post, I wondered if it was because they were transients and therefore wouldn't have a CT sticker; I also thought that at least one of the boats looked like it was just launched and therefore wasn't fully outfitted (including affixing the sticker) for the season. I also wondered if they just weren't paying their fees. All reasonable guesses to my way of thinking. And, in line with the question I posed in the title, I asked if any of you noticed the same thing in your marina. No general indictment of the "rich"; no blanket condemnation of those who own larger boats. None stated; none intended. For those of you who inferred that is what I meant or implied, all I can say is that you are wrong. For crying out loud, all of us who own sailboats are wealthy by virtually anyone's measure (anyone except maybe other yacht owners).

And IStream, if you titled a thread "Is mstern cheating on his taxes?" that would be a personal attack, and no, I wouldn't be ok with it. Apples and oranges. On the other hand, if you started a post that asked if Oday 23 owners (a group that I belong to) fail to pay their taxes, included a listing of why you thought it was true, included a recitation of some alternative explanations, and maybe asked others for their opinions, then, yes, I wouldn't be "ok" with it; "ok" in the sense that I'd think you were within your rights to post it, not that I'd agree.
jwing likes this.

post #84 of 131 Old 07-07-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
Jeffersonians have a habit of picking his words, yet ignoring his actions. He was far more complex than what he said, particularly when parsed.
Well said. The Louisiana Purchase was not the act of a "true" Jeffersonian.
post #85 of 131 Old 07-07-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Funny the things that will get fought over and start a pissing battle on a forum. Stupid little things that should be let go, but are instead treated like they truly are important items for a side to "win".

I wonder if some of you are really married to each other and are keeping it secret?
I really have to start keeping my "interesting" observations to myself....
post #86 of 131 Old 07-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Oh for crying out loud! Here is the regulation. It's not very hard to understand. Although most people would just assume that when the state gives you a sticker for your boat, the state wants you to actually stick the sticker on your boat.

http://www.dem.ri.gov/pubs/regs/regs...e/boats14t.pdf
While I would like to thank you for identifying this (on your second try), I will bet you wouldn't have put it this way to my face, tough guy.

Still, I see very few stickers on doc boats and I've never once heard of an enforcement action. Perhaps this is form over substance.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the reference. I know many that will find it fascinating.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #87 of 131 Old 07-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post

And IStream, if you titled a thread "Is mstern cheating on his taxes?" that would be a personal attack, and no, I wouldn't be ok with it. Apples and oranges. On the other hand, if you started a post that asked if Oday 23 owners (a group that I belong to) fail to pay their taxes, included a listing of why you thought it was true, included a recitation of some alternative explanations, and maybe asked others for their opinions, then, yes, I wouldn't be "ok" with it; "ok" in the sense that I'd think you were within your rights to post it, not that I'd agree.
The fact that you viewed that hypothetical as a personal attack regardless of the presence of the question mark validates my point. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps a better thread title would've been "Why do so many big boats seem to lack current registration stickers?"
post #88 of 131 Old 07-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
While I would like to thank you for identifying this (on your second try), I will bet you wouldn't have put it this way to my face, tough guy.

Still, I see very few stickers on doc boats and I've never once heard of an enforcement action. Perhaps this is form over substance.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the reference. I know many that will find it fascinating.
Er, you're welcome, sort of, tough guy?
post #89 of 131 Old 07-09-2016

Stickers are ugly.

Have R.I. Sticker and numbers on dinghy but not on boat.dinghy is ugly. In my eyes boat is beautiful. Boat is documented and registered but don't want stickers on it. Do have the gov't pump out sticker and the pump out flag but only by necessity as I do want to get pump outs. If I could would just fly flag when necessary but they insist on the decal being shown as well.

As to Hamilton and Jefferson, unfortunately seems irrelevant. Taxation should be to raise funds not change behavior as both understood it. Federal government should protect the common weal not legislate morality. Behavior harmful to others hence the commonweal being illegal is congruent to their thinking. Hate crime, blanket bigotry etc. being illegal is congruent control of your own body ??? Again something both would agreed with. Both current major party candidates suggest interventions that would be abhorrent to both J&H.
Johnson/Weld come closest to the constructs of both of their (J&H) thinking. A sad state of affairs.

The unintended consequence of citizens United and the backlash to it.
senormechanico likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 07-09-2016 at 04:27 PM.
post #90 of 131 Old 07-09-2016

Pump out flag? A pair of whitey tighties with a big skid mark?
CalebD likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in