Converting Starboard Settee to Double Bed - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 07-06-2016

Re: Converting Starboard Settee to Double Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifgray View Post
But my main holdup now is where to put the mattress pad for the extended part of the bed... .
So you don't have a backrest cushion on the bunk? Using one as part of the mattress makes for more width as well.
Barquito and seabeau like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 07-07-2016 Thread Starter
OBX Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
So you don't have a backrest cushion on the bunk? Using one as part of the mattress makes for more width as well.
I tried to pull the backrest cushion off last week and it seemed pretty well fastened but I'm sure it will come off now that I actually think about it. I'll try that tomorrow and see how it works! I may also see if I can get a nice little mattress topper that will fold up into a box to stow away when needed.

Need to do some measuring...

Last edited by clifgray; 07-14-2016 at 06:48 PM.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-14-2016 Thread Starter
OBX Sailor

Finally got the outboard fixed so on to new projects!

@Omatako so as it turns out the backrest cushion pulls right off without any issue. So I'll plan to use that as the second half of the bed and that makes storage easy!

post #14 of 22 Old 07-14-2016 Thread Starter
OBX Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Different boat. But like this:

Because there is a table there I do not need a fiddle. Why not just use the convertible table? Because this is MUCH easier to rig at night (the table is heavy and has stuff on it).

Instead of legs I have a wooden box/step that is shoved under it. Stronger, and it is only used on the cockpit during the day. I add a mattress topper for comfort and to cover the joint in the cushions, and a twin fitted sheet.

That looks and sounds great! What do you mean you don't need a fiddle? I'm not sure what that is. The only other thing I'm not clear about is what is actually support the additional bit of bed. Does that wood panel have a hinge on it and swing up to support the additional bed? And if so did you just drill through the fiberglass to put the hinge in? I like the idea of a box under there instead of some legs.
post #15 of 22 Old 07-14-2016

My backrest cushion was held in place with snaps and it was very difficult to remove from the bulkhead. I lubed the snaps with WD 40 and it made the job much easier.

Gary
post #16 of 22 Old 07-29-2016 Thread Starter
OBX Sailor

@pdqaltair wanted to ping you again in hopes you can answer the above questions!
post #17 of 22 Old 07-29-2016

I didn't read the whole thread (hitting the road shortly!) but my 25' has a pull out bed fashioned in the port side settee. What they did was cut a piece of plywood (5\8 or thicker) in the shape of the underside of the cushion, removed that front wood kickplate (as seen in your pictures) that holds the seat cushion from slipping forward and screwed it into the edge of the plywood. Slots were the cut near the end of the plywood where the plate is attached to fit legs.

When we need the bed extended the plywood sheet pulls out like a drawer (by pulling on the wood faceplate\kickplate), the seat cushion comes with it, the "back" cushion slides down and lays perfectly in the spot the seat cushion was in and then you slip the legs from underneath into the holes cut into the plywood and voila you have a larger bed. Make sure to leave the plywood long enough so 6in or more remains under the cushion to support that end and at the bottom of the feet I used hardwood trim squares. They can be found at hardware stores and usually go in the corner of door trim so you don't need to match 45deg cuts, they are hardwood and usually 3in by 3in.

I can try and find pics if it helps, I'm 3hrs from the boat currently and won't be there till maybe Sunday night or Monday afternoon.

Edit: yeah I'm no artist

https://s31.postimg.org/4yi3ltz97/20160729_165831.jpg

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Guyfromthenorth; 07-29-2016 at 06:03 PM.
post #18 of 22 Old 07-29-2016 Thread Starter
OBX Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post
I didn't read the whole thread (hitting the road shortly!) but my 25' has a pull out bed fashioned in the port side settee. What they did was cut a piece of plywood (5\8 or thicker) in the shape of the underside of the cushion, removed that front wood kickplate (as seen in your pictures) that holds the seat cushion from slipping forward and screwed it into the edge of the plywood. Slots were the cut near the end of the plywood where the plate is attached to fit legs.

When we need the bed extended the plywood sheet pulls out like a drawer (by pulling on the wood faceplate\kickplate), the seat cushion comes with it, the "back" cushion slides down and lays perfectly in the spot the seat cushion was in and then you slip the legs from underneath into the holes cut into the plywood and voila you have a larger bed. Make sure to leave the plywood long enough so 6in or more remains under the cushion to support that end and at the bottom of the feet I used hardwood trim squares. They can be found at hardware stores and usually go in the corner of door trim so you don't need to match 45deg cuts, they are hardwood and usually 3in by 3in.

I can try and find pics if it helps, I'm 3hrs from the boat currently and won't be there till maybe Sunday night or Monday afternoon.

Edit: yeah I'm no artist

https://s31.postimg.org/4yi3ltz97/20160729_165831.jpg
This sounds like more or less exactly what I'm shooting for at this point. A couple pictures would be awesome!

Where do you store the legs when not in use?
post #19 of 22 Old 07-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifgray View Post
This sounds like more or less exactly what I'm shooting for at this point. A couple pictures would be awesome!

Where do you store the legs when not in use?
I have a small drawer right beside the settee that they fit in nicely. The legs were made from maple boards, I believe they measure 3in wide by 3/4in thick. They were cut to shape with a bandsaw and have the shoulder design up top as somewhat depicted in my laughable diagram lol. I can certainly snap a pic and upload it when I'm at the boat after the weekend, it's a pretty simple mod that works awesome.

The only caveat I found with it is because there is a sheet of plywood under the cushion it's somewhat harder to access the storage underneath compared to the starboard side where it's just a cushion I can fold up out of the way. But the small issue is far outweighed by the larger bed access. Also under the plywood is a small strip of thin carpet (think thinner than astroturf) so it slides smoothly in and out.

post #20 of 22 Old 08-01-2016

Bear with me as I'm doing this from my phone.

Here's some pics:

Pic 1 settee as is (only a 25 ft boat so it's tight snapping pics!)
https://s32.postimg.org/we3g4pq05/20160801_200556.jpg

Pic 2 cushion removed to show the plywood base
https://s32.postimg.org/m5uv2zwh1/20160801_200657.jpg

Pic 3 better shot showing the holes for the legs and how the faceplate is attached
https://s32.postimg.org/6x59a22ud/20160801_200707.jpg

Pic 4 pulled out to double mode
https://s31.postimg.org/6gfmw3o9n/20160801_200829.jpg

Pic 5 shot of the legs installed
https://s32.postimg.org/7rjzqld9x/20160801_200848.jpg

Pic 6 legs on their own
https://s32.postimg.org/4z4xjybk5/20160801_200538.jpg

Pic 7 and 8 pulled out legs in but no cushion
https://s31.postimg.org/l07woj9nf/20160801_200919.jpg
https://s31.postimg.org/yftynu58r/20160801_200909.jpg

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in