What you wish you did when you got your boat? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 37 Old 07-09-2016

Re: What you wish you did when you got your boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
The OP has a 44' boat: all the more reason to have a built-in VHF. The height and gain of a mast-mounted antenna and the added power of a built-in VHF radio blows away the hand-held VHF and won't get lost overboard when the going gets rough.

Having a remote VHF microphone unit by the helm is highly recommended, especially if you have to deal with drawbridges.
The OP didn't ask "what would you wish you has done if you had a 44 foot boat, and have to deal with bridges, and sail only where I sail".

You don't have to refute things that you didn't wish you hadn't done. Its ok if your wishes are different from other people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 07-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
The OP didn't ask "what would you wish you has done if you had a 44 foot boat, and have to deal with bridges, and sail only where I sail".

You don't have to refute things that you didn't wish you hadn't done. Its ok if your wishes are different from other people.
As I recall, the OP asked, "What is your advice for a new owner?" And that was highlighted in boldface.

IMHO it is more important to have a good VHF installation, including the mast-mounted antenna and a GPS connection that supports DSC. It is also helpful to offer advice relevant to the OP's venue, which appears to be in the NYC area, where he especially should want to monitor channel 16, which might be better facilitated with a RAM.
flyrod likes this.
post #33 of 37 Old 07-09-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScience View Post
New (to you) boat?.....Maiden voyage?

Become a 'Gold Member' of TowBoatUS.

Better to have it and not need it, than to.......well, you know the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFromBuf View Post
Did that when I got insurance haha.
Yes, a lot of insurance policies include tow, but usually to a minimum pay out. BoatUS insurance for example also includes tow, but to a maximum of $250. The clock starts ticking from the moment TowBoatUS leaves their dock until the moment they return. $250 bucks will buy you them casting off their lines and securing the deck when they depart. It didn't take long for my buddy to rack-up over $1500."...But wait, I have BoatUS insurance. Towing was included!!!" Not quite.

Bottom line, check your policies carefully, regardless of who you insure with.

Synthetic Rigged Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Last edited by RocketScience; 07-09-2016 at 01:11 PM.

post #34 of 37 Old 07-09-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScience View Post
Yes, a lot of insurance policies include tow, but usually to a minimum pay out. BoatUS insurance for example also includes tow, but to a maximum of $250. The clock starts ticking from the moment TowBoatUS leaves their dock until the moment they return. $250 bucks will buy you them casting off their lines and securing the deck when they depart. It didn't take long for my buddy to rack-up over $1500."...But wait, I have BoatUS insurance. Towing was included!!!" Not quite.

Bottom line, check your policies carefully, regardless of who you insure with.
Agreed. Boat US insures our boat but we still paid for the unlimited towing. The only time we used it, when our engine died just outside of our marina, the bill was close to $1K.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #35 of 37 Old 07-09-2016
Freedom isn't free

Dock

Wish, I had taken my father by the hand and dragged his keester down to the boat, and took him sailing.

Sorry... Long story.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA
post #36 of 37 Old 07-10-2016

I'll answer the inverse of the question - what did I do that I'm glad I did? The boat had a few years on her, so we went through EVERYTHING to make her ready for cruising. Bought a sewing machine and made cushions and sail covers, replaced hoses and pump rubbers, checked all wiring, puzzled over the watermaker procedures, and so on. It wasn't that she needed so much work (cushions aside), but it gave us intimate knowledge of all systems, and the confidence that if something was amiss we would notice it and know how to fix it.

My only regret was fitting a brand-new impeller to the engine, using one from the spares that were aboard. A month and 10 engine hours later, 2 miles into a 300-mile trip, the engine got warm. All three of the spare impellers that the previous owner had accumulated were deteriorated with age. So lesson learned - rotate anything rubber every two years at least.
post #37 of 37 Old 07-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
I wouldn't change anything about how we did things. We sailed, noted what was needed, what needed changing/upgrading/fixing, and sailed more. I'm still finding new things on the boat that I didn't notice before.

Now, six years later we're really making her our own and getting her to where she should be. Just in time to do it all over again with the next boat.
I can relate. Starting my 5th season with my first boat I'm considering starting over again. Lord help me.

To the OP, I would say sail her and enjoy her. Take note of what she needs, what you like about her and what you don't, what you can modify and what you cannot. As has been said on this forum and others, all boats are compromises and you can never fully know what these will be ahead of getting your first boat (or any new to you boat); you will learn some only after you have had her for a while.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in