• 2 Post By Minnewaska
  • 3 Post By capta
  • 2 Post By gamayun
  • 3 Post By Sal Paradise
  • 4 Post By Scotty C-M

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-07-2016 Thread Starter

Sailing: A family legacy.

Sailing means different things to different sailors. This season, I'm realizing it's a tie that connects generations. Not just in my family, but everywhere people sail.

Our two children came aboard as small fragile bundles (along with the boats provisions), 25 years ago.

This week I helped rig a boat of their own(our daughter -out of the frame - can tighten a backstay and take a picture).

The four of us, on two different boats, still sailed together. We never tire of the beauty, that is sailing.

The end of the sail, they wanted to raft up for dinner. The four of us enjoyed dinner on the water, together, just as we always have. It seemed as though nothing had changed in all those years. We've been sailing together forever.

The next morning, they cast off their lines and sailed silently on their way. Two natural sailors, in their element.

Donna_F, CalebD, capecodda and 5 others like this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.

Last edited by TomMaine; 07-07-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-07-2016

Re: Sailing: A family legacy.

The single largest factor in choosing our current boat was to have room and be an attraction (for various reasons) for family and friends to come along. It has worked big time. Very happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-07-2016
Captain Obvious

Great pictures Tom and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Your kids bought their own boat, together? As cool as that sounds, its unusual - at first I assumed it was your son in law in the pictures. Either way, you are very lucky and thanks for sharing.

Lucky guy. I find it more and more difficult to get all three adult kids to come home at the same time anymore.
seaner97 likes this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

post #4 of 10 Old 07-07-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Your kids bought their own boat, together? As cool as that sounds, its unusual - at first I assumed it was your son in law in the pictures. Either way, you are very lucky and thanks for sharing.

Lucky guy. I find it more and more difficult to get all three adult kids to come home at the same time anymore.
In fact our son owns the boat. After a few months on Craigslist - then turn down for donation - the owner(a friend) gave it to us(ok, I paid $1).

A nice little 26' 1968 Rhodes designed O'day, it's a sailaway boat with everything it needs and it all works, well.

But cosmetically tired, it has no real value in todays market. I told our daughter we'd get her a $1 boat as well(not hard to find) but she's content to sail on his.

Outside storage was cheap as is launching and he has use of a free mooring.

It's turning out to be a great little boat and he's sailing it constantly. It will be very well used this year by many kids in town.
seaner97 and Sal Paradise like this.

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-07-2016
Less Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Great pictures Tom and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Your kids bought their own boat, together? As cool as that sounds, its unusual - at first I assumed it was your son in law in the pictures. Either way, you are very lucky and thanks for sharing.

I find that I visit with my parents when they are at their place in VT during ski season or they rent somewhere we'd like to go, but we almost NEVER go back where I grew up. No attraction for me, my wife or my kids and it's '6 hours from anywhere' and 12 from my home. Minne has it right- better attraction and they'll figure it out.
EDIT- And I forgot; they sold the boat, so can't even sail if we went home. REALLY no attraction as I hate golf.
TomMaine likes this.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.

Last edited by seaner97; 07-07-2016 at 05:11 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The single largest factor in choosing our current boat was to have room and be an attraction (for various reasons) for family and friends to come along. It has worked big time. Very happy.
It just dawned on my how well this has worked. I had family come stay with us last weekend (we are typically aboard from Fri to Mon, this past weekend was Thu-Tue).

They stayed aboard, while we had to go home for a couple of things! They are still there.
seaner97 and seabeau like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-07-2016
Master Mariner

Tom, that sounds really nice.
My oldest was raised circumnavigating (3 months old when we left Hawaii for Tahiti) and thereafter traveled with me (a professional captain) on everything from yachts to freighters until she was 12, when it was time for school. All her school vacations were spent on one sort of boat or another.
Today, she has no more interest in sailing than using the boat as a hotel to get out of the cold NE winters. That's fine with me because at least I get to see her.
Not that she has a bad life, is unhappy, or is 'missing' something by not sailing, (after all, she had more miles at sea than most ever will, by 12), it's just that I..........oh well.
TomMaine, seaner97 and seabeau like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 07-07-2016 at 07:00 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-07-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Wow, beautiful boats and it's great that you all continue to enjoy sailing together. Really nice pictures, too. My mother, for all her great attributes and the things she exposed me to, was always fearful of the water. To this day, she still jokes I must have been switched at birth. Luckily, my son enjoys sailing with me though he doesn't quite share my love of all things aquatic
TomMaine and seabeau like this.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-09-2016
Captain Obvious

These things can skip time,or generations and continue.. I vaguely remember my grandfathers boat,which was gone by the time I was ten,,,, and my parents had no money to be in the sport at all. Then I come along, and grew up wishing for a boat, got one, my kids learned to sail at early ages, now grown up - we are taking a family sailing vacation all together this summer so it continues.

But it doesn't have to be continuous, it can start and stop and be reborn within the family tradition.
TomMaine, capta and seabeau like this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #10 of 10 Old 07-09-2016
Catalina 400 MKII

We're watching my grandaughtor this morning while my son goes surfing. My wife mentions to me that we're going to go down to the boat after my son gets back. My granddaughter (she's 8 years old) says, "Aw,,, I want to go down to the boat!" So my son - who is getting ready to surf - says, "Take her down to the boat, but don't take her sailing. Wait for me. When I get out of the water, I'll join you and we can sail together". Nice.
gamayun, TomMaine, seabeau and 1 others like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in