Deaf boater - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-08-2016 Thread Starter
Mermaid Hunter

Deaf boater

I skippered a boat for survey and sea trial recently. The very nice couple buying the boat are both profoundly deaf.

They have hearing aids but are heavily dependent on lip reading.

Is there anything I can suggest to them to help use the VHF radio effectively? I don't have any experience here.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-08-2016
Master Mariner

Re: Deaf boater

Wow, I've got to give them credit for giving it a shot.
Just last month, while beating in a bit of wind I heard a low pop while on the helm. Not sure what it was, I sent Nikki out on deck to see what, or even if, it was anything. Turns out the webbing that holds the halyard ring on the head of the Yankee had failed.
I so depend on hearing what's going on that I don't allow headphones on the person on watch.
I wish them well.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 6 Old 07-08-2016

Dock

I am just tring to imagine a US Coast Guard transmission being played into a Speech to Text program on the computer.
I dont think I have ever understood one message of theirs: "thisistheuscoastguardnewyorkwithareportofasinkingb oatnear(mumble)keepashartlookoutbreak)"
There is no way I am sinking in the USA!

So thats how they could receive.

To send messages they can use DSC either to a single ship with a AIS receiver intregal to the VHF giving the MMSI. But I dont know if theres a fast way to type the text? Doing it manually into the VHF would take forever.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #4 of 6 Old 07-08-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I skippered a boat for survey and sea trial recently. The very nice couple buying the boat are both profoundly deaf.

They have hearing aids but are heavily dependent on lip reading.

Is there anything I can suggest to them to help use the VHF radio effectively? I don't have any experience here.
Some radios now enable users to connect with Bluetooth headphones/earbuds. Might be worth trying.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-08-2016
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
Some radios now enable users to connect with Bluetooth headphones/earbuds. Might be worth trying.
Donna beat me to it. There are bluetooth enabled devices designed for the hearing impaired on the water.

Smooth Sailing for Deaf Water Sports Instructor | Phelan Hearing

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #6 of 6 Old 07-09-2016 Thread Starter
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Donna beat me to it. There are bluetooth enabled devices designed for the hearing impaired on the water.

Smooth Sailing for Deaf Water Sports Instructor | Phelan Hearing
Brilliant. Thank you.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in